The Wesley Madhevere Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

The Wesley Madhevere Thread

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Certainly looks to be a new breed of player. I had my doubts given his mid-grade U-19 record, but many youth stars end up fading away at the top level and many who were average become world class players. Wez is certainly looking to have the goods to be Zimbabwe's first world class batsmen since Brendon Taylor.

I didn't get to watch him too much vs PAK given the timings of the series, but my first impression of him in the Bangladesh series was the following:

Strengths

keeps the scoreboard ticking by getting runs constantly, very few Zimbabwean batsmen do this even guys like Taylor, Ervine, Williams often get bogged down
the confidence and batting IQ/awareness to get the above done

weaknesses
shot selection needs a bit of work but very early days in his career
tends to play a bit uppishly for his boundaries a la Musakanda

Question for ZCF is how has he looked on that front in the PAK series so far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The Wesley Madhevere Thread

Post by sloandog »

He’ll get a gig in the PSL, I’m telling you now. Today he showed how versatile he is. Pulling Hasnain and Wahab for four infront I’d square was really impressive for a young guy.
And he bowls and is probably our best fielder.
What a find! Get Myers in, and Shumba, and then make sure Ryan Burl gets the right opportunities, I think we have a decent little middle order there. Musakanda needs another look in and so does Munyonga from what i saw.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah he looks the goods, we’ve seen the odd bowler hit the scene with a bang like Mavuta, Blessing or Jongwe, but in my time following Zimbabwe cricket I haven’t seen a batsman do so since Hamilton.

Really does look the goods and they seem to be doing the right thing with him batting him in the middle, hopefully they resist the temptation to open with him for now.

I think Wes will benefit immensely from being around the likes of BT, Willy, Raza & Ervine, he’ll learn so much from having the senior guys around.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:28 am
I think Wes will benefit immensely from being around the likes of BT, Willy, Raza & Ervine, he’ll learn so much from having the senior guys around.
This is so true. They need to get Shumba and other young batsmen into the team right now for the same reason - they can learn off good batsmen.
Something that the BT, Williams generation never had.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

You can’t except a 20 year old Kid to save you all the time,if anything the young talent should install some competition and hope amongst the old lot Taylor,Williams,Raza,Ervine,Chibhabha and Chatara

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

No offence to Wes but is he really 20? I find it a bit hard to believe someone can play three u19 world cups?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Zimco wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:25 pm
No offence to Wes but is he really 20? I find it a bit hard to believe someone can play three u19 world cups?
He was selected in 2016 when he was 15 i think, i remember watching

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Was he really 15, that’s my question. Either way it would have been bloody scary facing fast 19 year olds.its a bit dangerous really to play 15 year olds against the best 19 year olds, not sure if it would be allowed in some countries. Although, it really helps your game to play against older players.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Zimco wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:56 pm
Was he really 15, that’s my question. Either way it would have been bloody scary facing fast 19 year olds.its a bit dangerous really to play 15 year olds against the best 19 year olds, not sure if it would be allowed in some countries. Although, it really helps your game to play against older players.
He clearly had what it takes mate, he played well in 2016 and scored a half century I think, batting with Schnyder. He looks younger than 20 now, and in that tournament he actually looked like a baby faced boy.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If you're good enough you're old enough.

Crazy how comfortable he's made the Jump.
Doubt he faces many 140k bowlers in the hood but he takes it in his stride. A talent.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*