2nd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: 2nd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Post by TapsC2 »

For me Myers will turn out to be a more valuable player for Zimbabwe than Madhevere if he successfully makes the transition smoothly to the next level. That kid is a star. He already scored a 50 against the UAE at the beginning of last year. These kids really back themselves.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Dion Myers is on twitter. Seems very enthusiastic about zim players exploits in Pakistan such as BT/Williams and Madhevere. States that Milton shumba will be next to show their skills

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 pm
Chisoro has to go for me, I am fed up of watching him bowl short in the channel outside off stump with no flight or turn. We must have better spinners in Zimbabwe than him he can hold and bat and field?
Who though?

Ndlovu & Mutombodzi who were used earlier this year both struggled and looked way out their depth.

I’ve heard a few people say Taipwa Mufudza is the best spinner in the country, but I’ve never seen him and he’s never been selected in a national team squad.

Natsai M’shangwe is no where to be seen, last I heard he was in Australia I think?

Mavuta is the guy they need to get up and running with bag & ball, but until then Chisoro deserves his place imo. He did have a decent ODI series to be fair to him.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I noticed during the match they were talking about one of the Pakistan players who had done really well during the domestic t20 competition, not the PSL but another domestic competition.

Most countries now are not only putting on a franchise t20 competition but also a domestic one, this shows how much t20 cricket these guys are playing compared to Zimbabwe.

ZC always schedules just enough games to appease the ICC, until they start putting some effort and funds into lifting the standard of Domestic cricket the results will remain the same.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:45 am
I noticed during the match they were talking about one of the Pakistan players who had done really well during the domestic t20 competition, not the PSL but another domestic competition.

Most countries now are not only putting on a franchise t20 competition but also a domestic one, this shows how much t20 cricket these guys are playing compared to Zimbabwe.

ZC always schedules just enough games to appease the ICC, until they start putting some effort and funds into lifting the standard of Domestic cricket the results will remain the same.
Yes we need a semi-pro structure. They need to add a club T20 competition and a 3 day club competition.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zim do trail with T20s - the batsmen are very classical in their training in Zim it seems.
T20 has seemingly evolved to be a harder format than traditional ODIs.

We need a few hitters and we have to do away with the mentality of 'lower order hitters'.

Top order hitters mathematically maximise the most damage when things come off. There's also PP considerations.

I mentioned pre series Elton should've opened and looking back I double down on that idea. He still had some hitter in him.

I'd be very tempted to bring the Greek next T20 series.
He's old and shit but if he comes off or gets through the power play we are looking at a base of 30 of 15 balls. Breathing room for our middle guys.

Although all that said, Burl batted like a snail the majority of his innings, but had a very respectable strike rate in the end yesterday.
For someone to only hit two boundaries and still have a 150 strike rate,is really testament to the fact he was very good at keeping the strike rate ticking. He very rarely went for the heave.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:36 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 pm
Chisoro has to go for me, I am fed up of watching him bowl short in the channel outside off stump with no flight or turn. We must have better spinners in Zimbabwe than him he can hold and bat and field?
Who though?

Ndlovu & Mutombodzi who were used earlier this year both struggled and looked way out their depth.

I’ve heard a few people say Taipwa Mufudza is the best spinner in the country, but I’ve never seen him and he’s never been selected in a national team squad.

Natsai M’shangwe is no where to be seen, last I heard he was in Australia I think?

Mavuta is the guy they need to get up and running with bag & ball, but until then Chisoro deserves his place imo. He did have a decent ODI series to be fair to him.
Time for BechaniMania? :lol:

Mavuta's numbers could be misleading with a lot of lower order wickets. He had serious issues with control on his legspin so not sure he should be a realistic option any time soon.

For ODIs, don't think we need any frontline spinner. Williams, Raza (on his good days) and Madhevere should be able to do the job + Burl.

For T20Is, we can still pick Wellington to throw some fast and accurate darts. Might help create pressure from one end if he can keep it tight as he showed a few times. Brilliant fielder.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:25 am
Zim do trail with T20s - the batsmen are very classical in their training in Zim it seems.
T20 has seemingly evolved to be a harder format than traditional ODIs.

We need a few hitters and we have to do away with the mentality of 'lower order hitters'.

Top order hitters mathematically maximise the most damage when things come off. There's also PP considerations.

I mentioned pre series Elton should've opened and looking back I double down on that idea. He still had some hitter in him.

I'd be very tempted to bring the Greek next T20 series.
He's old and shit but if he comes off or gets through the power play we are looking at a base of 30 of 15 balls. Breathing room for our middle guys.

Although all that said, Burl batted like a snail the majority of his innings, but had a very respectable strike rate in the end yesterday.
For someone to only hit two boundaries and still have a 150 strike rate,is really testament to the fact he was very good at keeping the strike rate ticking. He very rarely went for the heave.
He was chalk and cheese with the first t20 where he looked so out of nick, however his strike rotation was excellent and fitting of a t20 number 3 or opener to the manner of a Zimbabwean Dawid Malan

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:55 pm
For T20Is, we can still pick Wellington to throw some fast and accurate darts. Might help create pressure from one end if he can keep it tight as he showed a few times. Brilliant fielder.
Does he do that? To be honest, I haven't seen Wellington bowl for ages, but I remember him as a Vettori-like bowler, albeit with less control and fewer revs on the ball; but fast, accurate darts?

Mufudza is the one spinner that I was always eager to see, ever since his time at Mountaineers, but I doubt that 'Bones' has much more to offer than our allrounders in the limited overs stuff. He plays both for Mashonaland and Takashinga--so you can bet that it's not politics that keeps him from getting selected.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

IIRC Mufudza turns the ball quite a lot but possibly has an issue with his action? I’m sure this has been said by someone on the ground?

Honestly if the selectors truely believe Ndlovu was the best option whilst Chisoro was being ‘taught his lesson’ I haven’t much hope for Mufudza.

Chisoro might not be your text book spinner, but he gets the job done and out of the other left arm spinners, he’s the best with the bat.