Feature on U13 cricketer Madhevere

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Feature on U13 cricketer Madhevere

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

http://allafrica.com/stories/2014072002 ... ?viewall=1
WESLEY Madhevere is a name that is likely to set the stage alight in international cricket if the right mentorship and resources are invested in this 12-year-old cricketer from Chitungwiza.

Born in a family of two boys, and son to Clara and Clifford Madhevere, the bubbly schoolboy has already shown signs he can become a big player in this game.

Growing up in Zengeza, very few ever imagined that he would make headlines so early in his life.

But the Zimbabwe Under-13 right-handed batsman won the Batsman of the Tournament award after bagging three half centuries at the just-ended Eastern Junior Cricket Club Association Festival in Benoni, South Africa.

Spending an afternoon with the Madhevere family proved to be an experience of a lifetime for me as the family embraced their diamond boy's achievements.

His mother Clara could not hide her joy and even revealed she had reservations about her son's interest in cricket as she wanted him to focus more on his school work.

These efforts by the mother proved to be fruitless as the teenager would go to extreme lengths of absconding his classes to chase his cricket dream.

"I would discourage him and even go to the extent of giving him a bit of spanking for running away from classes to play cricket, but now I am happy he has attained this award in the sport," said Clara.

Wesley's love for cricket dates back to a game the national team played against Bangladesh and won in spectacular fashion as skipper Brendan Taylor powered the hosts to victory with a cracking boundary with only one ball to play.

The schoolboy, who is a staunch Dynamos and Barcelona supporter, had found another sport to love.

He believes his cricket adventure has started on the right track and hopes to be exposed to more game time in future.

The Form 2 pupil had to make the long walk to Seke High 1 to get some cricket action as his school Seke High 2 did not offer the sport due to lack of resources.

Wesley, however, hopes to enrol at a school where his cricket can be nurtured.

Explaining his Under-13 national team call-up, the schoolboy said he impressed during some trials he attended at Mashonaland Eagles juniors where a squad of 30 players was chosen.

The numbers had to be screened further to 15 players who represented the country in Benoni.

"We went for trials at Mash Eagles juniors and faced some tough competition as the selectors only wanted a final squad of 15 players but I'm blessed to have made it," Wesley said.

The emergence of Madhevere should come as a wake-up call to a cricket-loving nation that there are a number of unpolished gems waiting to be touched throughout the country.

Wesley has a supportive family and, the way things are going, he could be destined for the big time.

If ever Zimbabwe Cricket needed proof that their expensive programme, to take cricket to all parts of the communities, is bearing fruit, then this is one such big case.
A number of points to note here, other than the feature on the youngster. The ones highlighted.

That last ball 6 of Taylor seems to be influencing a generation.
Final squad of 15 was getting selected only out of Mash Eagles trials? What about other regions?
Can the credit be given to ZC development program here? Is Seke High 1's cricket in any way supported by ZC? Shouldn't it be more like ZC's responsibility to take care of his development from now on?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Feature on U13 cricketer Madhevere

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It's really nice to read stories about kids that seem genuinely passionate about cricket.

One of the criticisms levelled at cricket always seems to be the "expensive" barrier to entry, but I disagree. A tennis ball and something resembling a bat is really all that's needed at primary school level. Kids are resourceful enough to figure the rest out.

ZC's challenge is less getting equipment and coaches to schools (important, but not the be all and end all) but capturing the imagination of the younger generation. And as this article demonstrates, the easiest way to do that is through the performance of the national team. Harness a winning culture among the national team and the and kids will try and emulate their heroes. I reckon getting the international matches broadcast on local radio would go a long way towards achieving this - who here can honestly say they never smuggled a radio to school to sneak a listen to a cricket match? :)

ilovearsenal04

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

You guys called it! I read this article back then as well, look where we are now hey
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I had forgotten sharing this article. What a fairytale! Thanks for bumping it up!
ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:14 pm
You guys called it! I read this article back then as well, look where we are now hey
I had forgotten sharing this article. What a fairytale! Thanks for bumping it up!

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This guy seems to have followed the googly model of player development.

identify talent very early and focus time and energy on them to eek out a star every couple of years and that is enough to mmake a powerful top 11
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2