3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:06 pm
When did you move to Aussie Dogg? Was it Luke McLean?
I actually moved to a very nice part of Eastern Europe a year ago.

Wasnt Luke Mclean, was someone with the initials SB. played 7s too I believe.
He was a decent player but i played with alot bigger talents who disappeared or never made it so not sure how he did it. However i suspect its because he stayed in Union whereas most talent try to make it in league in sydney and only go back to Union when they fail, and if they have no name in either sports union dont want them.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

If you don't mind me asking Zimdoggy, what were your reasons for leaving aus/go to Eastern europe?

kudet

Post by kudet »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pm
Mawoyo said on commentary that Elton is looking to get into coaching, to give back to ZC.
Essentially what he's saying is they're going to award him with a position in the club, much like Hondo, Matskinyeri, Masakadza and Utseya.
Annoys me immensely because there's a clear bias towards these guys who, in an ideal world, would struggle to be an assistant coach of a county second XI. I understand we are not blessed with healthy finances and can not lay out what England and other countries pay, but if you were an average international player yourself, how can we expect these guys to bring on the next generation.

The little Birds are saying that he is the new goats head coach. question is does he even have an ECB level 3 or its just a Jobs for the boys scenario. We will see.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm
Mr Twig wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm
Chamu is still only interim captain isn't he? Clearly isn't worthy of being in the side let alone captain.
Yup, only interim till Maruma finds form with a domestic 50 and be heralded as a "young" captain to take Zimbabwe to the next level
😭

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’d rather Chigumbura coaching than some random former club cricketer like Stan Tamoni or what ever his name is. In the end of the day unless ZC can attract overseas coaches they will have to make do with former players.

Chigumbura has played lots and lots of cricket and he’s been around for ever, I’m not saying he’d make a good coach but he’s got as much chance to make a good coach as any other former cricketer.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:23 am
more cricket ....
I don't buy this. Unless you are talking about it in a different context.

However, if from an international context I don't buy it. We have had years where we played so much cricket and we still sucked. More cricket does not instantly make you a better team. It's a nice argument to use, especially for ZC, but it's stupid when you consider ZC can't even organise a domestic comp or have proper structures in place, and regardless of how much cricket we play, they still pick the same old crap.

Chigs is bound to get some sort of gig in the boys club. I agree that until we can attract top international talent, we have to make do with local guys, but I'm sure there are local guys who have been doing the gig for years and proven their worth, but just are not one of the boys. I think you guys spoke of Brent and a few others if im not mistaken. I'm not too sure on the local scene.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:24 am

I don't buy this. Unless you are talking about it in a different context.

However, if from an international context I don't buy it. We have had years where we played so much cricket and we still sucked. More cricket does not instantly make you a better team. It's a nice argument to use, especially for ZC, but it's stupid when you consider ZC can't even organise a domestic comp or have proper structures in place, and regardless of how much cricket we play, they still pick the same old crap.

Chigs is bound to get some sort of gig in the boys club. I agree that until we can attract top international talent, we have to make do with local guys, but I'm sure there are local guys who have been doing the gig for years and proven their worth, but just are not one of the boys. I think you guys spoke of Brent and a few others if im not mistaken. I'm not too sure on the local scene.
The more you do something the better you get at it, this rule applies to almost anything in life.

The more cricket that is played in Zimbabwe at all levels can only improve things
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:28 pm
I’d rather Chigumbura coaching than some random former club cricketer like Stan Tamoni or what ever his name is. In the end of the day unless ZC can attract overseas coaches they will have to make do with former players.

Chigumbura has played lots and lots of cricket and he’s been around for ever, I’m not saying he’d make a good coach but he’s got as much chance to make a good coach as any other former cricketer.
Yeah, but that argument is a double edged sword. We've all seen the glorious impact of the "internationally experienced" Douglas Hondo.

Also, if the rumor is to be believed, why the Goats? They have been successful domestically with the coaching stints of Brent and then the hard working Shepherd Makunura. What message does that send to Makunura?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:02 am
The more you do something the better you get at it, this rule applies to almost anything in life.

The more cricket that is played in Zimbabwe at all levels can only improve things
Not necessarily. If the thing you are doing more of is continued to be done the wrong way, then continually doing it is not going to benefit you.

I think I see where you are coming from about playing regularly though. You are talking about domestic cricket. In that sense, I would agree. If you were talking about International, then I would disagree. We definitely need more domestic cricket, but the structure and set up needs to be better.

If the NPL taught us anything it is that players are not good enough, or are not learning as they play. Some of those scores were pitiful. Some of the cricket played was poor. Playing more on a domestic level is important, but it needs to be done properly.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:28 pm

My gripe is not that he wants to be a coach, for the reasons you stated.
I don't think it's best practice at all to jump straight into a domestic head coaching role. There's a pathway a coach should cross.
Can you imagine Darius Boyd being a head coach next year at an NRL club? That's an apt analogy as a once gifted player who's been crap the last couple of years and not known for his mental strength or tactical knowledge.

My second point is an expansion of that^
I'd put Elton in the club of a lot of zimbo's who succumb to mental pressure easily. He isn't as bad as a Vusi, but this is a guy who was all downhill after age 23.
How can that be translating to a good coach if you got worse the longer you went and more experienced you got?
Compare to someone like Ervine who was half the player Elton was 10 years ago to what he is now. That's a learning curve you'd expect.

It's a gripe I have with a lot of black Zimbo's to be honest. It feels to me once the weekly wage comes in the quest for excellence stops. They plateau, get worse and almost always gain weight problems. The last bit is the clue that it isn't all in my head.

I think that Elton should start as a club coach or an assistant domestic coach, or help the kids in some capacity. Let him learn the ropes of what coaching entails.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*