3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:43 am

Based on that reasoning, any person who plays cricket in Zim has the potential to be a good coach.

Elton should earn his role. He needs to learn the trade and gain his qualifications. All the good coaches do it. No coach should be allowed to walk in to a top role from the start. Even if money is an issue, then ZC needs to stop handing roles to all their friends willy nilly and invest in in developing a proper coaching structure and development programme, as well as investing in quality coaches who can serve as mentors for these guys.
I said he has just as good a chance of becoming a good coach as any other former Zim cricketer

I find it laughable that you guys can even attempt to make a judgement on whether or not he will be a good coach, you've never met him, you've never spoke to him and really apart from hearing him talk at the toss or post match, you've never heard him talk about cricket.

Again I agree he shouldn't walk into a head coaching role at 1st Class level , but with today's current status regarding travel and standard of living, you are simply not getting an experienced overseas coach to move to Zimbabwe and coach the Goats
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 pm
Zimco wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm
[quote=ZIMDOGGY post_id=153913 time=1605194298 user

England is like Australia, just colder, rainier and older and more historic. Beware London though it's the only place in the world I've ever felt unsafe after dark.

If you want to teach English do it remotely. A lot of companies teach chinks via laptop and that was before the corona thing went down.
Go to the Gold Coast or Byron bay and work online is my advice.

Moving overseas can be tough at times.
Yeah I do like the history of UK, I played there for four months before. I think I will get back into the online teaching. The clubs are willing to give me free flights and accommodation for me to be their opening batsmen so I am not too worried to get a job in the short term. I would probably only go in march but you are right UK is a Corona mess ATM. The UK visa fees are also going up in the future.

Yeah Perth has quite a few South Africans, zimbabweans, Sri Lankans etc. My clubs combined South African, Zim players would probably give a Zim domestic team a run for their money.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Shepherd makanura is a good coach. Very qualified as well.

Although the specific bowling technical skills of the coaches here in aus are better than in Zim I think.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:14 am

I said he has just as good a chance of becoming a good coach as any other former Zim cricketer

I find it laughable that you guys can even attempt to make a judgement on whether or not he will be a good coach, you've never met him, you've never spoke to him and really apart from hearing him talk at the toss or post match, you've never heard him talk about cricket.

Again I agree he shouldn't walk into a head coaching role at 1st Class level , but with today's current status regarding travel and standard of living, you are simply not getting an experienced overseas coach to move to Zimbabwe and coach the Goats
The rationale still stands. The same could be said of any cricketer in that they are a good a chance of becoming a good coach.

You can often tell if a player is going to be a good coach or not. I'm not saying Elton should not become a coach or go for it. he may well turn out to be a good coach, but the current climate suggests that he would not be getting his roles on merit.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 am

The rationale still stands. The same could be said of any cricketer in that they are a good a chance of becoming a good coach.

You can often tell if a player is going to be a good coach or not. I'm not saying Elton should not become a coach or go for it. he may well turn out to be a good coach, but the current climate suggests that he would not be getting his roles on merit.
What are the ‘tell signs’ that a player will be a good coach? There are just as many talented players that turn into good coaches compared to toilers like Brent.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:53 am
zimbos_05 wrote:

What are the ‘tell signs’ that a player will be a good coach? There are just as many talented players that turn into good coaches compared to toilers like Brent.
I put my detailed two cents last page into what I think are telltale signs a player will be a good coach.

In a nutshell, a player with little natural talent who made it with brains and/or a shrewd tactical thinker.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:50 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 pm
Zimco wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm
[quote=ZIMDOGGY post_id=153913 time=1605194298 user

England is like Australia, just colder, rainier and older and more historic. Beware London though it's the only place in the world I've ever felt unsafe after dark.

If you want to teach English do it remotely. A lot of companies teach chinks via laptop and that was before the corona thing went down.
Go to the Gold Coast or Byron bay and work online is my advice.

Moving overseas can be tough at times.
Yeah I do like the history of UK, I played there for four months before. I think I will get back into the online teaching. The clubs are willing to give me free flights and accommodation for me to be their opening batsmen so I am not too worried to get a job in the short term. I would probably only go in march but you are right UK is a Corona mess ATM. The UK visa fees are also going up in the future.

Yeah Perth has quite a few South Africans, zimbabweans, Sri Lankans etc. My clubs combined South African, Zim players would probably give a Zim domestic team a run for their money.
If you are a good enough player where an overseas club are willing to pay flights and accomodation (and presumably no fees), why arent you pressing for Zimbabwe selection?
Honest. You'd have a shot.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:12 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:53 am
zimbos_05 wrote:

I put my detailed two cents last page into what I think are telltale signs a player will be a good coach.

In a nutshell, a player with little natural talent who made it with brains and/or a shrewd tactical thinker.
Ricky Ponting was a great player, loads of natural talent and is a great coach

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Prosper Utseya, very limited cricketer but was able to compete on his tactical ability. I don’t see anyone giving him credit as a coach?

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

The way Elton just let his bowling fade away, regardless of his injuries, does not augur well in my opinion; but that's obviously no more than a hunch.