3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Post by sloandog »

Come and play for our club, there's 16k for a pro on the table :D

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm
You play for a club right?
Out of curiosity, what do you get out of that? Who pays for it and what's the point?

It's not like you get crowd revenue right ?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:00 pm
sloandog wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you get out of that? Who pays for it and what's the point?

You pay your pro 16k? When I played for a club in the Themes Valley League we paid our pro 7k and that was for a first class cricketer near London.

If you play Diplock 16k you could have got an international cricketer for that.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:30 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:00 pm
sloandog wrote:

You pay your pro 16k? When I played for a club in the Themes Valley League we paid our pro 7k and that was for a first class cricketer near London.

If you play Diplock 16k you could have got an international cricketer for that.
The club I’ve moved to charges £1 entry. You get 300 watching on an average weekend and as you can imagine the bar games a lot (5-6K a weekend). Brandon was/is never going to be on that. We’re in discussions with Lizaard Williams from SA. Also been in contact with Tari, but he’s told me he’s signed with another club but would come next summer

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Also looking at Liam Banks

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Also looking at Liam Banks
How much say do you have in the recruitment Sloan?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:27 am

Ricky Ponting was a great player, loads of natural talent and is a great coach
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 am
Prosper Utseya, very limited cricketer but was able to compete on his tactical ability. I don’t see anyone giving him credit as a coach?
Ricky was a thinker. You could see it from day 1. He had captain experience too and as a player he was always thinking about not just the current ball, but the next ball and maybe even the next five overs. He was shrewd and smart and very tactical. He would focus on little nuances such as batting stance and form and that bodes well for a future coach.

I'm not too familiar with Prosper as a coach, but what has he achieved as a coach?

My view is that Elton has an opportunity to be a good coach and prove me wrong. Thats the beauty of opinion, it can be proven wrong. What makes me think he wont is what I saw on the field. He wasn't exactly a thinker. He was very basic as a captain and often got it wrong. He never really analysed the game very well when he would be spoken to after. I don't think he has the ability to see the game in finer detail and pick up on something like a batsman with a wrong stance or a bowler who could fix their run up.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:27 am

Ricky Ponting was a great player, loads of natural talent and is a great coach
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 am
Prosper Utseya, very limited cricketer but was able to compete on his tactical ability. I don’t see anyone giving him credit as a coach?
Ricky was a thinker. You could see it from day 1. He had captain experience too and as a player he was always thinking about not just the current ball, but the next ball and maybe even the next five overs. He was shrewd and smart and very tactical. He would focus on little nuances such as batting stance and form and that bodes well for a future coach.

I'm not too familiar with Prosper as a coach, but what has he achieved as a coach?

My view is that Elton has an opportunity to be a good coach and prove me wrong. Thats the beauty of opinion, it can be proven wrong. What makes me think he wont is what I saw on the field. He wasn't exactly a thinker. He was very basic as a captain and often got it wrong. He never really analysed the game very well when he would be spoken to after. I don't think he has the ability to see the game in finer detail and pick up on something like a batsman with a wrong stance or a bowler who could fix their run up.
My point about Ponting & Utseya is that according to the Dogg’s comment is that players that lack natural talent make better coaches. I’ve used those two guys as case in point, Ponting had all the natural talent a player could dream of and he’s a great coach.

Utseya is exactly the player Dogg described, yet when his name got mentioned as a coach everyone groaned and reverted to the same tune you’re singing now about Elton “boys club job”

I’ll leave this debate here with my initial point, that it’s impossible to know if a player will become a good coach from our POV. Why don’t you just wait and see how he goes before making judgement as you said.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Regarding Elton as a captain my biggest gripe with him was that he didn’t take the ‘lead by example’ model as a captain. He should have moved himself up the order and bowled himself more often, instead he mostly played as a non-bowling No.7 batsman.

As for his tactics on field I don’t think he was any worse than the likes of BT, Cremer & Utseya. Zimbabwe won as many games against decent opposition under Elton as they did under those guys including wins over Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand & Windies.

BT was a great lead by example type captain but he didn’t really have the tactical game I think some people like to think he did. Cremer was a good captain but he too made some bad errors and lacked trust in his bowlers, often over bowling himself & part time spinners like Willy & Raza. The best example of this was the Test v Sri Lanka.

Utseya despite all the horrible things I’ve said about him was a good captain, his field placings and bowling changes were very good, he did have Ray Price as an on field advisor which no doubt helped.

But in the end of the day a captain can only work with the bowlers he has, I’m sure even Ponting or Vaughan would struggle to win regularly with the bowling attacks Zimbabwe have had.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Another concluded Zimbabwean cricket series where I am not sure if it was better to have the team actually playing cricket or just sitting on the sidelines - at least from an enjoyment perspective. We really are terrible at T20 cricket.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes