3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: 3rd T20 | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Rawalpindi

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:26 am
But in the end of the day a captain can only work with the bowlers he has, I’m sure even Ponting or Vaughan would struggle to win regularly with the bowling attacks Zimbabwe have had.
I distinctly remember Kapil Dev saying something similar when asked about who he thought was the best captain among all the teams leading up to the 2003 World Cup. He specifically took the name of Heath Streak and had said that it is difficult to lead a team as their premier strike bowler and that too when the team does not have all the resources and the depth of talent as others. Given that, he said Streak had done an admirable job in leading Zim and had wished Zim to succeed under him.

I was pleasantly surprised that he had such a keen observation across teams to come up with that statement, but he is someone who knew a thing or two about leading the bowling attacks and leading underdogs to success. May be he saw a bit of himself in Streak.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Come and play for our club, there's 16k for a pro on the table :D
Wow 16 k pounds? The club I played at we had a ranji spinner/bat who we played about 8k so there is definitely some money being thrown around. The club I played for used him mainly for coaching and there is also relegation promotion .some clubs also have money that is donated in people's wills. Clubs are a family environment in the UK and some people get really attached to their clubs which is great.

I'm not at that level and only being a bat but thanks for the offer sloandog.

I would recommend Mahesh rawat, he seems to be out of contract and statistically dominated the sussex league. You could possibly get him for that.

I am also friends with Ryan Murray, Patrick Mambo, some WA 2nd eleven fast bowlers, and some talented young no name all rounders in aus. I could discuss with them if you want. Not sure what their plans are.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Message me, on the market for a fast bowler

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 pm
sloandog wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Also looking at Liam Banks
How much say do you have in the recruitment Sloan?
Well this is a new club for me as I’ve moved over to Cheshire. But I’ve got involved heavily over last summer and netted with them, saw I was 1st XI. I said I had a few contacts who might have been interested in coming but nothing concrete

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:18 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:27 am

Ricky Ponting was a great player, loads of natural talent and is a great coach
jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 am
Prosper Utseya, very limited cricketer but was able to compete on his tactical ability. I don’t see anyone giving him credit as a coach?
Ricky was a thinker. You could see it from day 1. He had captain experience too and as a player he was always thinking about not just the current ball, but the next ball and maybe even the next five overs. He was shrewd and smart and very tactical. He would focus on little nuances such as batting stance and form and that bodes well for a future coach.

I'm not too familiar with Prosper as a coach, but what has he achieved as a coach?

My view is that Elton has an opportunity to be a good coach and prove me wrong. Thats the beauty of opinion, it can be proven wrong. What makes me think he wont is what I saw on the field. He wasn't exactly a thinker. He was very basic as a captain and often got it wrong. He never really analysed the game very well when he would be spoken to after. I don't think he has the ability to see the game in finer detail and pick up on something like a batsman with a wrong stance or a bowler who could fix their run up.
My point about Ponting & Utseya is that according to the Dogg’s comment is that players that lack natural talent make better coaches. I’ve used those two guys as case in point, Ponting had all the natural talent a player could dream of and he’s a great coach.

Utseya is exactly the player Dogg described, yet when his name got mentioned as a coach everyone groaned and reverted to the same tune you’re singing now about Elton “boys club job”

I’ll leave this debate here with my initial point, that it’s impossible to know if a player will become a good coach from our POV. Why don’t you just wait and see how he goes before making judgement as you said.
Ricky was a very tactical thinker and would make an awaken coach, but I think he's in the media game which seems to be he preference for the biggest names.

As for Utseya, you know what? He actually could be a decent coach. He didn't do too badly with the under 19s.
Problem is I don't like him. Not many do outside of the boys club. There's been too much shit with him from traitorous acts, racism, victim card and fraud. He's the living epitome of all that was wrong with ZC after 2004.

But if you put that aside why not? I can see it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*