THE RETURN OF GRAEME CREMER

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: THE RETURN OF GRAEME CREMER

Post by jaybro »

Obviously I can’t speak for the players, but I would assume every cricketer would be very aware and even obsessed with their stats. When you considering cricket is a game all about numbers and your average generally dictates the course of your career.

So with 8 Tests to play I’d think someone like Cremer or Jarvis would look at this as an opportunity to reach a wicket tally they probably thought was never possible for them.

Cremer could easily end up with 100 Test wickets if he plays these 8 Tests
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Would be fantastic if he came back. He would walk back into the team

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

This makes sense absolutely everywhere besides Zim. Something about the game here where stats and national pride don’t really matter. Maybe it’s because of the way they get treated but most of them are after some cash and that’s it. That’s why these retirements are a common thing. Give Zim rugby 2.5 million and they would be competing within a year.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Speaking of records if we do get 8 matches, BT has to be looking to catch Andy Flower’s 12 test centuries. I know he is on 6 but we scoring another 6 in 16 innings against Afghanistan, Ireland, Pakistan and Bangladesh is not impossible . He should get at least 3 or 4 then look to catch up the following year

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

It doesn't matter if Zimbabwe loses to other teams but I want to win the next two Tests against Afghanistan. We need to dominate the Tests against them.That's my wish

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I don't think bringing Cremer back benefits us. Yes he might produce the goods and do a job, but he will then be retiring pretty soon after.

We need a proper pathway and identified plan in terms of our team. We don't have a pathway or plan. Our plan is often just put whoever is the flavour of the month and if they perform, they stay, if not, we try someone else. We really need to develop a proper plan and structure.

In the last six years we have used Ndlovu, Mavuta, Chisoro, Nyumbu, Roche. This does not take in to account the part timers that we have used too.

So there is no real plan or structure and that is one of our big downfalls and failures of the administration.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:53 am
I don't think bringing Cremer back benefits us. Yes he might produce the goods and do a job, but he will then be retiring pretty soon after.

We need a proper pathway and identified plan in terms of our team. We don't have a pathway or plan. Our plan is often just put whoever is the flavour of the month and if they perform, they stay, if not, we try someone else. We really need to develop a proper plan and structure.

In the last six years we have used Ndlovu, Mavuta, Chisoro, Nyumbu, Roche. This does not take in to account the part timers that we have used too.

So there is no real plan or structure and that is one of our big downfalls and failures of the administration.
True. 100% true.

Theo thee school of thought is we could use him for a couple of years IF he is still up to it and then the chinaman can take his position, although I’m always weary if a Chinaman can make it internationally. But if he does, that buys some time to put these pathways in.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think for ODI and t20 cricket yes plan ahead look to the future. But in Test cricket you never think too far ahead, especially for Zimbabwe where any Test match they play is so special and rare.

Winning the next Test match is always the most important thing, so if all of your best players are 35, then pick an entire side of 35 year olds.

There’s nothing to build for in Test cricket, the most important game always the next game
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:28 am
I think for ODI and t20 cricket yes plan ahead look to the future. But in Test cricket you never think too far ahead, especially for Zimbabwe where any Test match they play is so special and rare.

Winning the next Test match is always the most important thing, so if all of your best players are 35, then pick an entire side of 35 year olds.

There’s nothing to build for in Test cricket, the most important game always the next game
I agree but this is why we need a solid domestic setup with overseas players making is competitive. We are playing in the British winter so technically we have options for coubty players if the deal is good enough.

Without the first class system humming we can't avoid giving youngsters a run in the international side because they will never have a chance at quality opposition.

Lets see how this season goes. I am keen to see soe new names come through.