State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: State of SA

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:02 am

Bangladesh were able to substitute both players who were concussed

Sri Lanka haven’t been able to substitute any
They weren't? Are subs only allowed for concussions?

Although I'm generally in favor of keeping Test cricket as pure as possible - I do support D/N Tests and putting jersey numbers and names on the shirts - and I also support a concussion sub rule. I would be open to an injury sub rule as well, but as you've pointed out lots of room for undue advantage so we'd need to sort that out.

But I would also be OK with the idea that you get 11 players, any of whom could get injured at any given time, so its up to the team management to select an XI that has as many bases covered as they can. Might create the need for more all-rounders and utility players in Tests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:07 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:02 am

Bangladesh were able to substitute both players who were concussed

Sri Lanka haven’t been able to substitute any

Although I'm generally in favor of keeping Test cricket as pure as possible - I do support D/N Tests and putting jersey numbers and names on the shirts - and I also support a concussion sub rule. I would be open to an injury sub rule as well, but as you've pointed out lots of room for undue advantage so we'd need to sort that out.

But I would also be OK with the idea that you get 11 players, any of whom could get injured at any given time, so its up to the team management to select an XI that has as many bases covered as they can. Might create the need for more all-rounders and utility players in Tests.
If they put numbers it should only be 1-11 in proposed batting order
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:07 am

Subs are only for concussions not injuries
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Can you imagine if subs were allowed in cricket, similar to Rugby or Football? Zimbabwe would no doubt sub Timycen Maruma in for Brendan Taylor for a chase of 350 from 50 overs.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Ain’t no way this can possibly be cheaper. Yes there might be less contracted players but the logistics of having 9 new first class teams will require a lot more money. There are certain standards that have to be maintained for official FC matches

Googly

Post by Googly »

And minimal sponsorship and owing tens of millions and 14 provincial presidents with their snouts in the trough.
Our provincial chairmen just tow the line in terror for coke and buns, but these guys will have high expectations.
The idea of spreading the game looks plausible on paper, but its doomed to failure. They're also going to have to dig hard to find that many players of FC standard.
They're never recovering the money they owe and will only sink deeper into trouble. I'm guessing they'll initially give the teams a budget and they'll have some autonomy and when they eventually discover the money is not going where it's supposed to they'll end up controlling it all from head office with an iron fist...where have we seen this before?

The one upside is that I'm sure Matigimu will finally be getting some exposure in one of the teams.

Googly

Post by Googly »

"The new system will consist of two divisions, split 8-7, and will include promotion and relegation. The divisional split will be decided by a bidding system."

I wonder what they mean by the split being decided by a bidding system?
They're further dramatically diluting an already weakened FC system. Delusions of grandeur.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

At least more blokes will get a chance to shine. The drain in SA Cricket right now is scary

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Do they have enough quality players ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement