Who is Muyeye?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Who is Muyeye?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I keep hearing everyone drop his name on the forums recently. Who exactly is he and how good is he? Is he the next Gary Ballance or the next Brendon Taylor? Is he is as good as Madhevere? How would he compare with an Ervine or Williams?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Who is Muyeye?

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:31 pm
I keep hearing everyone drop his name on the forums recently. Who exactly is he and how good is he? Is he the next Gary Ballance or the next Brendon Taylor? Is he is as good as Madhevere? How would he compare with an Ervine or Williams?
Won the school boy cricketer of the year in England, that says enough really.

There are videos of him batting somewhere on the web, looks a delight to watch. Googly has been talking him up for years and he rates him better than anyone else coming through.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

rusty17

Post by rusty17 »

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:31 pm
You can't accurately predict how a player will go in FC, and a really good FC player may not cut it at the next level, but I've watched this young man at schoolboy level and he's a freak.
I know guys who've seen him in the nets at Sussex, Surrey and Notts (yup everyone is taking a look) facing their front line bowlers and they all say he's hugely impressive.
That's an interesting comment that he has family there and he's interested in a County career. That would imply he has a shorter route into it. I don't see that otherwise surely we'd have seen him in Two's last season? They're very occasionally a bit more flexible in Two's than the regulations indicate. They stopped most guys playing Two's that weren't England eligible about 18 months ago.
Hes the most talented stroke player we've ever seen in this country at schoolboy level. That's a big statement.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

If his papers were in order somebody would have signed him by now. I don’t think he qualifies as a local. He has a name now.

Brexit might just be the best thing to have happened to us in a while. I don’t know if he is at the level where he can be signed as an international. He might not want to hear it but we might be his best option. That or CSA. They could steal him if we are not careful

Googly

Post by Googly »

He is obviously going to get his degree behind him and then look at his options. He may well be doing a 4 year degree because he's hugely bright and it will be something high powered, if memory serves its mechanical or chemical engineering.
I don't think these counties would be taking a look if he's still got to do his 5 years for citizenship, it doesn't add up.
He was on a Tier 5 and not one day of that counts towards citizenship.
Are they just curious to see how good he is or does he have an easier route to citizenship?
Its not inconceivable that they'd consider signing him as an overseas, highly unlikely but not impossible. They can now play 2 in red ball but I'm assuming they can sign as many as they like. Someone may well believe he's good enuf to take a punt on. Maybe they can sign him, he gets the odd game and they let him do his time on a different visa? Thats a 5 year investment which is not likely, but you never know...
You don't manufacture Mueyeye's, they come along once in a while only.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

4 years out the game for a player that good is not the best decision. Yes he is bright but in life you have to decide what you really want. Wes might have played 60 or 70 international games by then. You can’t replicate international pressure and seeing pros doing it on the big stage whilst you are right next to them. It’s easy to stagnate. A very common zim problem by the way

I always feel Hami lost 3 valuable years in SA. He should have been as good as BT

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If he decides to do a 4 year degree without playing first class cricket. He will never be a star. That simple really.
It’s up to him if he wants I be the next Hamilton Masakadza or Brian Lara. He can’t have it both.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Donald

Post by Donald »

I don't think muyeye will play for Zimbabwe

He is very critical of the Zimbabwe government on his Twitter handle for a start which probably won't go down too well if he ever did have aspirations

Googly

Post by Googly »

If it was only a choice between becoming a mechanical engineer and playing for Zim that would not be a big decision financially.
40 years as an engineer vs 10 years as a Zim cricketer earning what exactly? They have made it clear that the 20k a month salaries are out the window. He'd be lucky to be earning 500 a month per 6 months for the first couple of years, then possibly 2-5k a month for the remaining 8 years if he was really lucky. He'd be hoping for T20 gigs to top up.

Are the centrally contracted guys on 6 month deals as well?
Is that a stupid question?

There's no financial security in cricket anywhere, but Zim has to be near the bottom of that list. If we hadn't lost that extra 5m a year, with decent admin it would be a different prospect entirely.

I've been accused of saying 2021 is doomsday, but the one thing I am willing to stick my neck out over is there's no danger we're lasting 10 years as a full member.

He could gamble making a name for himself here and going back as an overseas, that's a real possibility. He would have to fire on the international stage of course.
He could also gamble on firing in some T20 internationals and becoming a gun for hire like Pollard and Samuels.
He certainly has some options.

If he comes running back as a youngster without having established himself he's at ZC's mercy. Unless you have a card to play they're going to bend you over. They've looked after a couple of senior guys here, and not necessarily for the right reasons, and unfortunately there's that mentality of "we're earning more than the other guys so it must be ok."
The bulk of the players here have been beaten into submission and are grateful for a bone, its sad. Players are a necessary evil they have to deal with in order to keep the gravy flowing. If they considered them assets and not liabilities they'd be actively trying to get guys like Muyeye back here and they'd have made a lot more effort to retain decent u19 players. Young Schardendorf trained for two years with 2 U19 squads, played one WC and they waved goodbye. He got snapped up by a big county in 3 days :lol:
They should hire a guy just to point out the good players because they cant seem to tell. Dollar got the nod ahead of him in the previous WC and it was clear as day to anyone with a pair of eyes who was the guy with real ability.

Blessing's contract would tell a story. I think he lost his county contract as they weren't going to retain him as an overseas so he had no option but to return. He's a young guy and they're definitely less inclined to give a young guy decent cash because he's got no dependants and they will use the excuse that he's got time.

I was doing some calculations on what Sam Curran must be worth and I reckon it's not far off £3.5m and he's 22. As a batsman there's probably not much in it between him, Muyeye, Byrom, Welch and Madhevere. Its a game of millimeters and those millimeters are worth millions to selectors that know what they're doing.