State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: State of SA

Post by Googly »

eugene wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:53 am
Reading that DEB interview from what I am guessing is the late 90s, early 2000s makes me wonder, where would cricket be today in Zimbabwe if it never got pro-active on racial quotas and taking the game to the masses? I know this could have never happened in the real-life political environment of Zimbabwe, but hypothetically speaking, what would the talent level be in cricket had it stayed largely in the domain of the white community with black growth hapening through osmosis at both admin and playing levels? Is the community to small to sustain much now? Would we have missed out a lot of talent with a less aggressive approach among the black community?
Parallel structures so as not to dismantle the base would have been ideal. Its never been about that though.
The harsh reality is that if there had been real interest and not perceived it may have happened. When the whites lost interest and/or were bundled out of the many sports clubs the opportunity was not taken to take them over and to keep club cricket alive and well. I question that every day.
The primary motivating factor was to prove that they too could play equally, but once the whites were gone and the war was won the motivation to prove was much less.
Taibu, Matsikinyeri, Masakadza et al practiced long and hard to crack a system that was not open to them. Who has subsequently put in those hours when they'd be welcomed with open arms when we're crying for black talent?
Whites had inter club rivalries and the black dudes only wanted to beat the white guys. It was massively motivating for them, they were playing for their people, take it away and there was a feeling of.. and now what?
That's a bit simplistic obviously, but once the race war was won they found themselves ill-equipped to kick on.
The evidence is there, nothing works and the hierarchy still bear grudges and live in the past.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Good bounce back on Day 2 for Sri Lanka as the Fernandos bundle out South Africa for 302 after being 1/149 at stumps

If they can some how get a score of 300-350 they could spring a surprise
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Kyle Abbot returns from Kolpak Deal
https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/115 ... olpak-deal
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

This is great for SA. Although it did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when Abbott left after dominating that test match.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm surprised he's never been in any T20 gigs, he's a world class bowler. I'd be digging around for Dutch ancestry if I were him because he's in for lean times.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Or Zim roots. He'd have to have a blinding season to get back into the mix.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Most of these Kolpak guys will come crawling back. I wonder if any of them will force their way back into the Proteas?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well they have to, or retire, or those that have a route into another system may try that.
With the new FC system theyre putting in place there's room for them.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Absolutely no chance he'll play for SA again.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Abbott got carted in his first game back. :lol:
Bowled half volleys. It was swinging and he was pitching it up but got his lengths all wrong.