Who is Muyeye?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Who is Muyeye?

Post by Zimco »

If he isn't eligible for a county and he doesn't want to play for Zim isn't going to uni (possibly on some scholarship) his only option and not a bad option? In his case playing for Zim isn't a bad option either.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I’d say all indications are he will end up in England with citizenship and be some counties prized local black feelgood story player.
My prediction is he will pop up for a county in a couple of years. Have some hype and buzz. Play in the National team on and off over a 18 month period and then settle to a long county career.
Ends up with a reputation as a flashy stroke maker who on his day can do anything but struggled to maintain consistency in the heat of fast bowling.

That’s how I reckon it goes.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=COXwamf4tBU

The snapping of his wrists is crazy at certain points of this video. Clearly a very talented kid

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:46 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=COXwamf4tBU

The snapping of his wrists is crazy at certain points of this video. Clearly a very talented kid
I dunno man.
I’ve seen this clip a few times before.
Sure he’s good, definitely has a bit of pizzazz to him, but this is no different than any other wannabe batsman highlights video I’ve seen on Facebook, here, YouTube etc.
Maybe even worse in a way, because the bowling in the clip doesn’t look overly sharp.

Don’t mean to death ride the kid, his accomplishments soeal for himself, but when this video is held up as the evidence I’m not convinced. Some are just nudges and mishits.
Perhaps he should record a new one.
But then again, what do I know? I only average 22 in park cricket.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:13 am
I’d say all indications are he will end up in England with citizenship and be some counties prized local black feelgood story player.
My prediction is he will pop up for a county in a couple of years. Have some hype and buzz. Play in the National team on and off over a 18 month period and then settle to a long county career.
Ends up with a reputation as a flashy stroke maker who on his day can do anything but struggled to maintain consistency in the heat of fast bowling.

:lol: that's jaundiced,bud.
Being able to smash schoolboy bowling attacks takes a lot of talent. I promise you this lad has got the complete game.
He's only played a couple of Twos games and got a half century in one of them. Its a big step up from schoolboy cricket to Two's and he made the transition with ease.
He's also faced quality men bowlers in net environments with equal aplomb, he's got all the makings of an international quality batsman.
Quick hostile fast bowling separates the men from the boys very quickly, but he's absolutely got the goods.
I'm pretty sure whoever is in his corner looking after his cricket interests knows he can't afford to be out of the mix for too long. This last covid year has given him a free pass for one season as most cricketers were in the same boat.

Sam Curran has always fascinated me. As a schoolboy batsman he was extraordinary. When he got going he was amazing to watch. I never understood why Surrey decided he should focus on bowling and let his batting take second.
Even when he was in that Surrey Academy there were batters they rated ahead of him- Ollie Bachelor, Ryan Patel, Bradley Erasmus, Will Jacks and Ollie Pope.
When you get to the top level suddenly you're with an elite bunch that are just as good as you and what separates you is what is between your ears.
Bachelor was the most freakish of them all,literally a young Glen Maxwell and he used to open, but he's fallen by the wayside, only plays club. Its impossible to say why they didn't back him or why another county didn't snap him up. Erasmus left school at 15 to focus on cricket and was technically brilliant, but also was passed over for questioning why he hadn't been signed. (Even Sibley- couldn't get a game at Surrey and two seasons later opens for England)
These two blokes are/were better by a distance than any other youngsters in at least 12 of the other counties yet there was no interest? Some of the signings I've seen make me shake my head because these lads were next level.
Surrey signed Ryan Patel who's a good medium pace seamer and a rock solid technically excellent batter, but he was pedestrian in comparison to these two.
The way brilliant schoolboys are overlooked and discarded in England is brutal. Their U19 selections have always puzzled me, I could pick two teams that would beat their U19 WC sides, there's big behind the scenes politics there.
The one thing I've seen is that its largely an elite sport in England and many of these good kids are entitled and if they don't get a clean run at it they fold because they have other options. As in most cricket environments you need someone influential in the background punting for you during the lean times to keep you in the mix.

I digressed....again! Even for Muyeye to get net time at Surrey, Notts and Sussex means he's got someone with influence in his corner.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:00 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:13 am

:lol: that's jaundiced,bud.
Being able to smash schoolboy bowling attacks takes a lot of talent. I promise you this lad has got the complete game.
He's only played a couple of Twos games and got a half century in one of them. Its a big step up from schoolboy cricket to Two's and he made the transition with ease.
He's also faced quality men bowlers in net environments with equal aplomb, he's got all the makings of an international quality batsman.
Quick hostile fast bowling separates the men from the boys very quickly, but he's absolutely got the goods.
I'm pretty sure whoever is in his corner looking after his cricket interests knows he can't afford to be out of the mix for too long. This last covid year has given him a free pass for one season as most cricketers were in the same boat.

Sam Curran has always fascinated me. As a schoolboy batsman he was extraordinary. When he got going he was amazing to watch. I never understood why Surrey decided he should focus on bowling and let his batting take second.
Even when he was in that Surrey Academy there were batters they rated ahead of him- Ollie Bachelor, Ryan Patel, Bradley Erasmus, Will Jacks and Ollie Pope.
When you get to the top level suddenly you're with an elite bunch that are just as good as you and what separates you is what is between your ears.
Bachelor was the most freakish of them all,literally a young Glen Maxwell and he used to open, but he's fallen by the wayside, only plays club. Its impossible to say why they didn't back him or why another county didn't snap him up. Erasmus left school at 15 to focus on cricket and was technically brilliant, but also was passed over for questioning why he hadn't been signed. (Even Sibley- couldn't get a game at Surrey and two seasons later opens for England)
These two blokes are/were better by a distance than any other youngsters in at least 12 of the other counties yet there was no interest? Some of the signings I've seen make me shake my head because these lads were next level.
Surrey signed Ryan Patel who's a good medium pace seamer and a rock solid technically excellent batter, but he was pedestrian in comparison to these two.
The way brilliant schoolboys are overlooked and discarded in England is brutal. Their U19 selections have always puzzled me, I could pick two teams that would beat their U19 WC sides, there's big behind the scenes politics there.
The one thing I've seen is that its largely an elite sport in England and many of these good kids are entitled and if they don't get a clean run at it they fold because they have other options. As in most cricket environments you need someone influential in the background punting for you during the lean times to keep you in the mix.

I digressed....again! Even for Muyeye to get net time at Surrey, Notts and Sussex means he's got someone with influence in his corner.
When I was growing up and playing schoolboys, every week we would play a team where a kid would hit a 60 ball hundred against us and we had a decent attack for the comp. Nome of those guys too my knowledge went anywhere, apart from John Hastings who I don’t even recall playing against.
The only one I can remember is some leb called Louis Hanna. Only because lebs don’t like cricket. I’m sure he nailed some games in lower grade but didn’t become anything.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Looks like Tawanda has found a route to citizenship. :lol:
Black privilege is a real thing. :lol: His English roots are about as real as my North Korean ones.
There's going to be a mad scramble for this guy. There's only two young black batting prospects in County as well- Delray Rawlins from Sussex and now Muyeye. He's going to get the red carpet treatment. He's been seen at Sussex, Surrey, Notts and Kent.
I can't wait to see this guy in action, he's the real deal. He'd have ticked a lot of boxes for Zim. Whilst I'd have loved to have seen him in red he deserves the prospects on offer in England. ZC have let some proper young men slip through their fingers, its a disgrace. When he gets the hang of the bowling he's going to be a treat to watch in T20. Damn!!!

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:21 am
Looks like Tawanda has found a route to citizenship. :lol:
Black privilege is a real thing. :lol: His English roots are about as real as my North Korean ones.
There's going to be a mad scramble for this guy. There's only two young black batting prospects in County as well- Delray Rawlins from Sussex and now Muyeye. He's going to get the red carpet treatment. He's been seen at Sussex, Surrey, Notts and Kent.
I can't wait to see this guy in action, he's the real deal. He'd have ticked a lot of boxes for Zim. Whilst I'd have loved to have seen him in red he deserves the prospects on offer in England. ZC have let some proper young men slip through their fingers, its a disgrace. When he gets the hang of the bowling he's going to be a treat to watch in T20. Damn!!!
How is that even possible? But hey when the English want somebody they bend or change the rules in their favour. Look at Archer. Ain’t no way he has English roots :lol:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Anyway. The truth is we haven’t been his first option in a while. I personally don’t blame ZC for this. ECB poaches players from everywhere. A Levels are in May/June. The World Cup is in January. That was a lame excuse for me and I kind of knew he had no interest from there. I hope he gets what he wants from the English and he has a successful career.

I will put my faith in Wes. He has a Zimbabwean dream. Always has. I value that a lot

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Is Muyeye as good as Madhevere? How would he compare to a BRM Taylor or to Gary Ballance, to pick from Zimbos who played in England?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)