Who is Muyeye?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Who is Muyeye?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm
Sydney grade cricket is no doubt one of the strongest if not the strongest non professional leagues.

Yeah very few grade cricketers are paid where in the UK many 'grade cricketers' get paid. Having only 66 professional players playing in aus is damaging cricket because why would a grade cricketer keep playing grade if there is only 66 professional spots above. Many people when they hit young/mid 20s in aus quit grade cricket which you don't see as much in the UK. Also because of the long format and over competitive nature of grade cricket.

With the amount of modern formats you need more professional players also players develop at different speeds. Otherwise it just becomes the Australian u19s getting a chance. The population of Australia has 1grown and a small base of pros favours rich people who can afford to play grade unpaid. Even grade cricket requires a lot of unpaid work and cost. At least 400 dollars per bat.

Many People have a love for cricket in aus and follow the national team but there isn't a community buy in like the UK where people come to watch their local games/columns are written in the local paper.
There is some food for thought here.
Although a lot of the population growth is Chinese and Korean, neither have any love for Cricket.

The Indian/pak and bangles do, but they don’t seem to migrate here for sporting reasons.

It’s hard to explain but many white Aussies sort of see cricket as ‘background music’. They like seeing cricket up on screen at the pub and checking scores intermittently. But there’s often no passion there in the greater population.
The passionate following is reserved for the winter regional sports, AFL and Rugby league.
Even the cricket commentators tend to get passionate about those sports vocally during broadcasts. They are the winter sports is they aren’t competing against it, but goes to show.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

Zimco wrote:
Sydney grade cricket is no doubt one of the strongest if not the strongest non professional leagues.

Yeah very few grade cricketers are paid where in the UK many 'grade cricketers' get paid. Having only 66 professional players playing in aus is damaging cricket because why would a grade cricketer keep playing grade if there is only 66 professional spots above. Many people when they hit young/mid 20s in aus quit grade cricket which you don't see as much in the UK. Also because of the long format and over competitive nature of grade cricket.

With the amount of modern formats you need more professional players also players develop at different speeds. Otherwise it just becomes the Australian u19s getting a chance. The population of Australia has 1grown and a small base of pros favours rich people who can afford to play grade unpaid. Even grade cricket requires a lot of unpaid work and cost. At least 400 dollars per bat.

Many People have a love for cricket in aus and follow the national team but there isn't a community buy in like the UK where people come to watch their local games/columns are written in the local paper.
While I agree with some of this Zimco. Per capita Australia would have to be the strongest cricket team over the period of professional cricket and longer. And a lot of this has to do with the Sheffield Shield. The problem now is Cricket Australia don’t value the first class cricket. Firstly Greg Chappell bought in the youth policy which made it easier for average young cricketers to get a game and meant talented older cricketers were pensioned off earlier. As a result reducing the standard.
Secondly Big Bash has pushed Shield cricket to backwaters of the season. On what form the squad to South Africa was selected is anyone’s guess. Alex Carey made a BBL 100 and that’s good enough!! Not sure there will be enough players to finish the shield season when Australia tours New Zealand and South Africa concurrently!!
Thirdly, 20 years ago shield cricket was the envy of every test nation (probably like the IPL is now). Test class batsmen and bowlers were churned out plus they had Warne/Gilchrist/Ponting. The cycle of sport suggests your not going to be on top forever so despite the fact Australia is still super competitive they just aren’t as dominant as they once were.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You could almost pinpoint the start of the ‘player quality decline’ of Australian cricket with that of the Birth of the Big Bash.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

You make good points zimdoggy, kriterion and terryadlerman.

A trend I have seen is a lot of good South African Australians in grade cricket so expect to see another Marnus or two in the next ten years. Some Indians and Pakistanis play in grade for a season or two but many leave grade and go play AstroTurf tournaments with their mates quite quickly. Apparently a lot of poms play a summer in Sydney grade cricket which Must be good for that competition.

The thing is yeah the 90s-2000s were the high watermark for aus cricket, but it seems like cricket Australia is stuck in that period of thinking in many ways.
Last edited by Zimco on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Terryalderman wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 am
Zimco wrote:

While I agree with some of this Zimco. Per capita Australia would have to be the strongest cricket team over the period of professional cricket and longer. And a lot of this has to do with the Sheffield Shield. The problem now is Cricket Australia don’t value the first class cricket. Firstly Greg Chappell bought in the youth policy which made it easier for average young cricketers to get a game and meant talented older cricketers were pensioned off earlier. As a result reducing the standard.
Secondly Big Bash has pushed Shield cricket to backwaters of the season. On what form the squad to South Africa was selected is anyone’s guess. Alex Carey made a BBL 100 and that’s good enough!! Not sure there will be enough players to finish the shield season when Australia tours New Zealand and South Africa concurrently!!
Thirdly, 20 years ago shield cricket was the envy of every test nation (probably like the IPL is now). Test class batsmen and bowlers were churned out plus they had Warne/Gilchrist/Ponting. The cycle of sport suggests your not going to be on top forever so despite the fact Australia is still super competitive they just aren’t as dominant as they once were.
Yep. Proof has been in the pudding over the last 40 years.
English method= Diluted player pool, lost of positions, see if those opportunities inspires someone unforeseen to rise to the top and gain confidence.
Australian method= very competitive first class system. Breed tough players. Your test ready once you do well. Little room for weak players. High standard every game.probably more cost effective.

In my opinion, adjusting for population difference, County should reduce to 12-14 teams and ditch this weird relegation system that permeates throughout all English sport. There is still too much fluff. Sean Ervine should not have been a walk up start in his final years as an example.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:16 am
You make good points zimdoggy, kriterion and terryadlerman.

A trend I have seen is a lot of good South African Australians in grade cricket so expect to see another Marnus or two in the next ten years. Some Indians play in grade for a season or two but many leave grade and go play AstroTurf tournaments with their mates quite quickly. Apparently a lot of poms play a summer in Sydney grade cricket which Must be good for that competition.

The thing is yeah the 90s-2000s were the high watermark for aus cricket, but it seems like cricket Australia is stuck in that period of thinking in many ways.
I don’t keep up to date with grade as much as 5 years back but there was definitely at least a dozen front line bowlers that would open for a county team, in fact I’m pretty sure a lot of county bowlers were in that comp. I’d love to see how the top 6 teams go in county.

I DEFINITELY think there will be a Saffer explosion in Oz cricket.

I saw a statistic that Australia is where most South Africans go too. That surprised me in a lot of ways. But I do know WA is Saffer heavy and if you look at Sydney, the northwest hills region is dominated by SA accents and St Ives in the north shore is where all the Jews fled after they helped end apartheid.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

I respectfully disagree Terry. In the next twenty-30 years the Indian and English methods will prevail. the fact is there a chokehold where talented grade cricketers in Australia stagnate at grade.

The English system is better setup to steal talent From other countries as well. For example, Ryan higgins was struggling at Middlesex to make team but moved to smaller Gloucestershire and now is doing really well. He has managed to stay in the county setup for years and the rewards show down the line. In Aus a player like him or Sam Curran could get stuck in grade cricket and stagnate.
Last edited by Zimco on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

There are a surprising number of Sri Lankan’s, Italians, Greeks by heritage in grade cricket who are good. Also a lot of good country born Australians who come to a city for uni, work etc. I guess I’ll stop talking about Australian cricket as it is far away from the original topic of muyeye and someone will complain soon :lol: not a lot of zim cricket to talk about :|

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:35 am
I respectfully disagree Terry. In the next twenty-30 years the Indian and English methods will prevail. the fact is there a chokehold where talented grade cricketers in Australia stagnate at grade.

The English system is better setup to steal talent From other countries as well. For example, Ryan higgins was struggling at Middlesex to make team but moved to smaller Gloucestershire and now is doing really well. He has managed to stay in the county setup for years and the rewards show down the line. In Aus a player like him or Sam Curran could get stuck in grade cricket and stagnate.
But has he?
Who is Ryan higgins outside of county?
He isn’t equipped to be good at international from what I know, he hasn’t played for England, so if he can float from county team to county team then he’s only blowing bubbles in the fish bowl.
He would be good for Gloucestershire or good for Zim but that’s it.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Yeah thats my point perhaps he won't play for England perhaps he will but you can't know at 20. The longer players play in County the more they develop. Solely County players or even people like henriques still contribute to a strong system.

He would be good for Middlesex now as well based on his stats. He got players player of the year.

Stoinis developed when he went to melbourne, failed for many years in IPL and then had a great year. Cricket is not linear in development.