Afghanistan Test & T20 Squad (No BT & Craig)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Afghanistan Test & T20 Squad (No BT & Craig)

Post by zimfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:54 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 am
505/6 and Ngarvara strikes early Afghanistan 3/1.

Half centuries for Burl, Wesley and Raza.
Good score, but imagine if one or two of those kicked on to a century. 505/4 would read even nicer.
Burl and Raza both retired not out

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

tgk wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:36 am
Anyone have a clue on how strong the Afghani team is for the warm up? Are the guys statpadding against mediocre players and U19s or is this somewhat close to what Zimbabwe could be facing in the Tests?
Afghan U-19 team is no joke...they are probably a top 5-6 outfit at U-19 level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

tgk wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:36 am
Anyone have a clue on how strong the Afghani team is for the warm up? Are the guys statpadding against mediocre players and U19s or is this somewhat close to what Zimbabwe could be facing in the Tests?
Pretty sure most of not all of their batsman are playing
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Conditions and the Test pitch will probably play completely different but always nice to see runs and wickets flowing for us.

Donald

Post by Donald »

That was a string Afghan side. Rahmat Shah ashgar Afghan etc.
I see Wellington got two wickets and mavuta none.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Left arm bowling will be key as I said previously. That’s why Wellington was effective. It’s a shame they didn’t pick Chisoro as his spin is slightly different to what Williams offers.

Just checked that Klusener is their head coach. He knows all our batsmen besides Wesley. Now that is something we didn’t consider. I’m especially worried about Raza. He has this habit of trying to be aggressive from the very first ball against spin. That double step. I’m very concerned.

Lance also know Williams is suspect against the short ball. Musakanda is an LBW risk too

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’m not getting too carried away with the practice match, that pitch they played the game on is notorious for being really flat, and none of those bowlers will play the test.

If Rashid plays & Afghanistan win the toss, I can’t see Zimbabwe winning.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I think the only real positive I am taking from it is that 2 batsmen who Lance is really backing to do well got out cheaply to Don and Wellington . Shah and Shahidi

https://www.herald.co.zw/chevrons-face- ... st-battle/

I suspect Tiripano bowled Shah with that wicket taking delivery of his which cuts back in sharply to the right handers . So the element of surprise there is gone.

Lance is right about batting long . The mentality is completely different. They aren’t used to that. Some people look down on the likes of Masvaure and Kasuza for batting slowly but that’s a skill on its own

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:32 am
I think the only real positive I am taking from it is that 2 batsmen who Lance is really backing to do well got out cheaply to Don and Wellington . Shah and Shahidi

https://www.herald.co.zw/chevrons-face- ... st-battle/

I suspect Tiripano bowled Shah with that wicket taking delivery of his which cuts back in sharply to the right handers . So the element of surprise there is gone.

Lance is right about batting long . The mentality is completely different. They aren’t used to that. Some people look down on the likes of Masvaure and Kasuza for batting slowly but that’s a skill on its own
People look down on those two because their batting lacks skill and trying not to get out and eek small runs is all they can do. It only works sometimes. Batting as a rock has been shown to be a failed strategy. Batting to survive very rarely works in tests.

These two guys did reasonable in SL but they let go so many run making deliveries due to a blocking mindset. I watched closely.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

We are also going to see the value of having an Indian coach here in these conditions.
If Rajput cannot get the guys to put up a fight here, against Afghanistan, then there really cannot be any justification for his renewal when his contract ends, which surely is soon.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*