Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:58 pm
I saw a star last year showing that Williams has been averaging over 40 over the last 3 or so years. I wonder what BT is averaging. They might be on equal terms now

Raza constantly gives away his wicket. It’s frustrating because he is one of our best by far but you always have that feeling that something is going to go wrong. Could easily be averaging above 40 as well
We are playing Afghanistan without Rashid. Our bats should be dominating.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

We’re certainly missing a lot more than they are in terms of players out. Why isn’t Nabi playing? I thought he’d be great in a test with his offies.

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

Flakeman wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 pm
We’re certainly missing a lot more than they are in terms of players out. Why isn’t Nabi playing? I thought he’d be great in a test with his offies.
Nabi retired from test. Mujib should have been there or any other pacer.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Looks like we got rescued by the same guys again.

I said it before, Prince is a liability. He just plays at way too slow a rate that it creates a sense of worry in the rest of the lineup and has the potential to create a problem where we are 4 wickets down for not many after about 20 odd. Someone really needs to teach him how to rotate the strike.

Good recovery from Sean and Raza, hopefully Burl and Sean can build a good partnership and take the game away from Afghanistan.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 pm
Looks like we got rescued by the same guys again.

I said it before, Prince is a liability. He just plays at way too slow a rate that it creates a sense of worry in the rest of the lineup and has the potential to create a problem where we are 4 wickets down for not many after about 20 odd. Someone really needs to teach him how to rotate the strike.

Good recovery from Sean and Raza, hopefully Burl and Sean can build a good partnership and take the game away from Afghanistan.
Did you see that spinners first ball that dropped halfway down the pitch? He didn’t know what to do with it. He wasn’t expecting it. He could not adapt. It should have been a simple boundary.
He basically blocks and waits for the ball to be in one of two areas he can play. Might get runs domestically but not internationally.
I posted here a few balls befrie he got out that he won’t last more than 30 balls and he got about 7 in.
He just sticks the bat out to those turners and hopes he connects. It’s really number 10 stuff.
He eats up balls.
He deserves a run until he truly shows he is a failure like I suspect. But that has to be the end of him that point.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Chari is better than Prince if youre looking for a guy to graft and see off the new ball. Chari can at least put bad balls away.

Zim will need at least a 75 run lead to feel safe. Afghanistan have to keep the lead under 50 and then try and set 200 which will be tough in the 4th innings. Still anyone’s game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 pm

Did you see that spinners first ball that dropped halfway down the pitch? He didn’t know what to do with it. He wasn’t expecting it. He could not adapt. It should have been a simple boundary.
He basically blocks and waits for the ball to be in one of two areas he can play. Might get runs domestically but not internationally.
I posted here a few balls befrie he got out that he won’t last more than 30 balls and he got about 7 in.
He just sticks the bat out to those turners and hopes he connects. It’s really number 10 stuff.
He eats up balls.
He deserves a run until he truly shows he is a failure like I suspect. But that has to be the end of him that point.
No, wasn't able to watch the game, but it wouldn't surprise me. I remember last time I watched him play, he was just way too cautious. He was the type of batsman where a bowler didn't really have to think about what they were doing.

Personally, I don't think his stats are all too flash even for domestic. He was the lowest SR of all the top five batsman from both sides, which is kind of saying something. Yes, tests are about grinding and working hard, especially if the pitch is doing something, but you also have to be able to manipulate the ball and make it work for you. You have to be able to rotate the strike so that you keep the bowlers and the fielding team guessing and mixing things up, not just block and defend everything.

Interesting considering the training and career he has had. Surely the AIS would have told him how to play. He probably just forgot.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It depends on the type of bowling. Kasuza and Prince are better at seeing off the new ball when it’s fast bowlers. Chari is better at playing spin. Musakanda is better at playing pace bowling as well with Burl being better off playing spin. There are only 3 batsmen who are capable of playing both types of bowling fairly comfortably , Williams Raza and BT. Williams is even a bit suspect to raw pace.

In the end I honesty don’t see the rush. 5 days is a long time. There is a good chance this test will be over in 2 and a half days with all this positive play. It’s also much easier to judge people coming in at 5 or 6 as positive players because they didn’t face the new ball. Just look at how Ervine’s average dropped from close to 40 to the lower 30s when he moved up the order. It’s not as easy as you guys make it sound

It’s also ironic that Tino Mawoyo played the exact same way as Prince but got no hate

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:37 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am
Aim has got to be to knock over these guys before 159 is reached.
Then let the 8-3 combo do the trick.
Why specifically 159?
Meant to say 150. Zero is next to the nine.

I am 6ft 5 and built like a brick with fat chiko roll fingers. Sometimes I struggle with the iPhone sensitivity!!
Haha.. Okie mate, and you got them for even lesser, 131.😆

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Zimbabwe needs a lead of 100 i would say, you never know what happens in the 4th innings. Extremely poor shot selection by Raza, hopefully Sean and Burl can get a partnership going today.