Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by TapsC2 »

The test tri-series with Zimbabwe,Ireland and Afghanistan that Kriterion once suggested would produce some good matches.

I think we have suffered for so long that we have better game plans in this format. That takes time and it took some top test teams over 20 years to win their first match. Zimbabwe recovering from 39-4 happened because we have been in Far worse situations before and got a score. Remember that Cremer century? These are things you learn over the years.

Losing Nabi is also a big blow for them but we also went through that at the very beginning. It’s a long long road. I was worried before the game but I realized now that Rashid Khan can only do so much because their batting is awful.

The next game will still be close with him back. Even on a dusty track our seamers will still pick up wickets because of their shot selection

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

While Wes has time on his side, next test appears to be a virtual shootout between Tari and Burl for any open spot in the test XI post this series as BT and Craig come back. They have wasted a golden opportunity each. I would back Tari to just put his hand up and open with Kasuza and replace Prince though.

Kasuza
Tari
BT
Williams
Ervine
Wes
Raza
Chakabva
Blessing
Jarvis / Chatara
Nyauchi

Looks good at full strength.

By the way, the desperate English team seems to have copied our 8-3 strategy for their test today! But this would come to be known as the bold English strategy (specially if it works), and no one will give credit to Zim who have been trying it on and off for a while now :)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

As for Afg, I can never understand why they can't use someone like Najibullah Zadran better. Has a compact technique and is a very street smart batsman from what I have seen of him.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:58 am
While Wes has time on his side, next test appears to be a virtual shootout between Tari and Burl for any open spot in the test XI post this series as BT and Craig come back. They have wasted a golden opportunity each. I would back Tari to just put his hand up and open with Kasuza and replace Prince though.

Kasuza
Tari
BT
Williams
Ervine
Wes
Raza
Chakabva
Blessing
Jarvis / Chatara
Nyauchi

Looks good at full strength.

By the way, the desperate English team seems to have copied our 8-3 strategy for their test today! But this would come to be known as the bold English strategy (specially if it works), and no one will give credit to Zim who have been trying it on and off for a while now :)
I agree Ervine, BT & either of KJ & TLC should all return to the side for the Pakistan series, we need all hands on deck for that one.

True that Batting wise only Willo, Raza & I guess Regis are locks from that XI that won, both Prince & Kasuza have some credits on the board, but both are averaging under 25.

Burl, Tari & Wes all failed with the bat so can’t be be assured of anything, Wes is definitely the best of the lot so he could be ahead you’d assume, although he’s only played 5 first class matches.

I’d say all 5 of the players I named are all in need of runs in the next match, Wes & especially Burl can further enhance their chances by bowling well, as their position in the side for the Pak series will likely be as a No.7 batting all-rounder.

Whilst Wes & Burl fight for the No.7 spot, Tari is probably competing with Prince & Kasuza for an opening spot. I’d assume Ervine & BT return back into the 3 & 4 spots with Willy reverting to 5 & Raza staying at 6.

Zimbabwe’s new found pace attack of Blessing, Nyauchi & the tireless Tiripano, mixed with the possible returns of KJ & TLC could tempt them into preparing similar pitches back home, and playing 4 seamers. This would probably mean Burl & Wes will be warming the bench, unless they’d like to try & open.

I’m not sure when it if the Logan Cup will start again this season? If so someone like PJ Moor could also come into the mix, but he’d have to attempt to open the batting again. For what it’s worth I still think he’d be a better opener than Prince.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:04 am

The only player Afghanistan were missing was Rashid Khan, so let's rephrase this "If Zimbabwe were full strength & Afghanistan had Rashid" Afghanistan are such a one man team it's not funny, but even on this deck I think Zimbabwe still win because of the assistance the seamers got, imagine if KJ & Chatara played, they would have bowled them out for 50 both times :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think in the end the pitch & the absence of Rashid obviously worked into Zimbabwe's favour, but heck that's cricket you need to play the conditions accordingly, and Afghanistan either stupid or ignorant to A) Only play One seamer & B) Chose to bat first after seeing the pitch. If Zimbabwe were in any doubt about the make up/ balance of their lineup, once they saw the pitch it was clear, a 8-3 lineup with three seamers was the way to go.

This is Zimbabwe's 13th Test win after 29-years of Test cricket, I don't care how it came or who against, let's savour it and enjoy it
I've said it before, but Afghanistan has a lot of uncanny similarities with Bangladesh. Looks like the Afghans also tried to use the idiotic one seamer attack idea, and also misread the pitch. Asghar Afghan probably doesn't even warrant a place in the side let alone be the captain. It should be Rahmat Shah. They also change their captain way too often for my liking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I remember there was a ODI where Rahmat Shah scored a century and Afghanistan absolutely smashed us. Crazy how a different format can increase the pressure 100x. I feel sorry for their debutant opener too. He was really up against it. They shouldn’t drop him

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I've been thinking about Burl bowling. I really think he has something. I don't know how to get him a Terry Jenner but that drift in the air he was managing is priceless.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Jemisi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 am
I've been thinking about Burl bowling. I really think he has something. I don't know how to get him a Terry Jenner but that drift in the air he was managing is priceless.
Could become a genuine all rounder

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

For those interested here is a post match presser with Sean Williams

https://youtu.be/_lkLIIRQVeM

He really is becoming a great captain, and if he’s given the limited overs Captaincy too I feel he’ll end up as one of the best Zimbabwean captains we’ve seen.

He talks so well & spoke glowingly about the younger players in the side, he’s obviously leading by example now averaging 81 with the bat as Test Captain & his bowling changes & field settings were very good in this game.

The one thing that stood out most to me from the presser, was what Willo said about Victor Nyauchi. He said if he were picking a side on guts & determination Nyauchi would be top of the list, this speaks volumes to me and I think Zimbabwe might have found a little gem here.

I definitely wrote him off after first seeing him, but after seeing how much he could move the ball in the right corner conditions, I’m a fan & happy to say I was wrong about Nyauchi.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

He really swung it didn't he. Zim can look to produce bouncy tracks with these two opening bowlers. The problem is say we played Australia at home our batting would be blown away against good pace on bouncy wickets. Perhaps we make bouncy tracks against subcontinent teams at home and slow spinners against SA, aus, England etc if they ever tour Zim.

I rember Harare sports club user to assist the quicks in the morning session with streak etc but recently they have made it spin friendly.