How would you rank Zimbabwe's Captains?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Flurzt
Supports: Mountaineers

How would you rank Zimbabwe's Captains?

Post by Flurzt »

Contenders imo

Brendan Taylor.
A true warrior who never quit zimbabwe when we were in our worst stage and kept going strong and lead by example. His definition of not quitting is all leadership is about. BTay also jumps to a 44 avg in both formats when he bats as a captain.

Andy Flower.
Our greatest Player and the best test wicketkeeper of all time. His presence in the team always gave us a side to not take lightly.

Tatenda Taibu.
When Zimbabwe was in a political turmoil and 14 players left, captaincy was left on the shoulders of 20 year old Taibu and always made sure to give it his best.

Alaistar Campbell.
AC restructured Zimbabwe into the international scene as a powerhouse. Although he did have one of the greatest Zimbabwe team at his side he made good advantage of it. He has achieved the most wins in ODI's for Zimbabwe as a captain.

Heath Streak.
The most underrated all rounder and truly gifted. carried our bowling lineup for ages. As a captain he achieved the most wins. He has achieved the most wins in test for Zimbabwe as a captain.

David Houghton.
The man who started it all. The birth of Zimbabwe in the international scene was thanks to this guy.

Duncan Flethcher.
Zimbabwe captain who led us into to the win of 1983 qualifiers and defeated Australia

How would you rank your Zimbabwe captains? (sorry if i missed out some)

sam_ahm

Re: How would you rank Zimbabwe's Captains?

Post by sam_ahm »

I'm not sure but I always felt Alistair Campbell was a very very good captain, I haven't seen much of Houghton, but many people say he was probably the best.

I'll go with Campbell though.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Campbell by a long way, knew how to manage people. Flower was far too intense.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 am
Never saw enough of BT to really judge him as a captain. I liked Taibu's short stint in very difficult circumstances.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

We went through a phase of a lot of captains - think the Carlisle, Murphy era.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jward

Post by jward »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 am
In his first period of captaincy, yes. But players have told me he was much better second time round. He learnt his lessons, and if he became England coach again I'm sure the same would apply.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I really liked the way Cremer captained the side tbh, I know they didn't get the results in the Test matches, but in ODIs I felt he was a good captain.

Streak for me was always good to, both with tactics and his lead by example attitude.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I like Streak, I think he was a competent tactician and good with the people side of things. He was good with the media. He won a decent number of games. He led with bat and ball.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, Streak followed by Taibu and then Ali Campbell and Flower for me. Sean could soon get to the third place though. I like the way he leads from the front and looks tactically way more competent and forthcoming than some of the recent ones including Chigs, Hammy, BT and Cremer.

MerryDes
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

-

Post by MerryDes »

Are the minors really the tier between FC and league cricket? How would they compare with 2nd team county or premier league club in, say, Yorkshire?