PJ Moor vs Regis Chakabva

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
lobsang

PJ Moor vs Regis Chakabva

Post by lobsang »

For whatever reasons PJ Moor might have been omitted for the recently concluded tour, his test average is one of the best among Zimbabwe batsmen, he averages 35.53 in test and Regis Chakabva on the other hand averages ( 25.22 ) in test. PJ has 5 test half centuries under his belt from 8 matches whereas Regis has 4 half centuries and 1 century from 19 matches . PJ is in superb form in the current Logan Cup, scoring 73 and 85 for Tuskers against Mountaineers to help draw the match and he must replace struggling Chakabva in the upcoming test series against Pakistan. There will be a T20 World Cup in 2022 in Australia and Zimbabwe must find a way to book a place at mega -event, bringing PJ Moor back at number 6 in the T20 side, Zimbabwe can slot Raza with BT at the top to take advantage of the power play which is very important in the shortest format of the game. Zimbabwe always struggle to maje full use of the powerplay( the first six overs with only two fielders outside thirty yard circle ) so someone like Raza who unlike Kamunhukamwe can score off both spin and pace to give Zimbabwe that much needed flying start. The bottomline is Zimbabwe desperately needs aggression that can produce quick runs in the first 6 overs at the top. PJ with his ability to clear any boundaries can assume Raza's role at number 6. In my opinion, Craig Ervine should only be considered for Test which is his most successful format and ODI.

T20I line-up

BT
Raza
Williams
Madhevere
Musakanda
PJ Moor
Ryan Burl
Tiripano
Chisoro
Muzarabani
Ngarava

Test line-up
Kasuza
Masvaure
Craig Ervine
BT
Williams
Musakanda
Raza
PJ Moor
Mavuta ( Jarvis if fit on a sporting pitch)
Muzarabani
Nyauchi

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: PJ Moor vs Regis Chakabva

Post by sloandog »

He's a good, solid test cricket is PJ. He has a solid defence and he can bat time and then hit the bad ball to the boundary. His rotation of strike is where he struggles a bit but I still think he's one of our best test match cricketers. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get a look in for the Pakistan series.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Not sure about his keeping though

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

PJ Moor can’t buy a run domestically.
It’s there for him if he can.

Unfortunately Regis is probably the better keeper on skill, so until Pj starts scoring or Murray gets his head out of arithmetic sums and tax dodges, we are stuck with Regis.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 pm
Did he not just score 158 runs across 2 knocks in the last 3 days?

In any case, yes, Regis is a better keeper, so the runs have to massively outweigh some missed chances that will definitely be there with Moor taking over gloves.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:18 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

In any case, yes, Regis is a better keeper, so the runs have to massively outweigh some missed chances that will definitely be there with Moor taking over gloves.
He could easily replace one of the top order, Kasuza or Masvaure without displacing Chakabva if keeping Chakabva is so important.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Why are comparing PJ to Regis? PJ isn’t keeping at all anymore, sadly for Zimbabwe it’s still a battle between Regis & Richmond for the Test keeping spot until Murray finally does all in, or Marumani gets some experience behind him.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Looking at the other keeping options for Zimbabwe in Tests you've got the following players

Regis
Richmond
Joylord Gumbie
Tafadzwa Tsiga
Tadiwanashe Marumani
Nyasha Mayavo

Mayavo is apparently the best glove-men in the country and was close to a surprise call-up to the 2017 Test side v the Windies, after a rough Test match in Sri Lanka, Streak & the selectors were highly considering dropping Regis for Mayavo as the the later man was seen as a better keeper, especially to spin which was going to play a big part of the series. In the end they stuck with Regis who ended up having a horror series with the gloves, but his heroic 71* in the final Test secured a draw.

Getting back to Mayavo I think his time has come and gone, he's 28 now and with a 1st class average of 23, I can't see the selectors entertaining him again, Gumbie is another who might have seen his chances fade away, he lloked a real good prospect in the U19's a while back, but with a 1st class average of 24 after 41 matches, and the fact he seems to be concentrating on being an opening batsman rather than a keeper-batsman he's probably not in the discussion at this point.

At 25 though Gumbie still has time on his side, as does Tsiga who is 26 and has shown some promise as well, but again a 1st class average of 23 isn't going to win over the selectors. The fact he has moved to the Rocks hasn't helped his chances, he's the No.2 behind Richmond. I've said it before that ZC needs to do a better job at spreading the talent around the franchises, especially now that all games are played in Harare. Marumani is also at the Rocks so he'd be the No.3 keeper there, he looks a very bright talent but he won't get many chances at a stacked Rocks' side, it's ridiculous when you see Richmond, Tsiga and Marumani all at the Rocks and the Tuskers are rolling out Cunningham Ncube ffs.

For me Regis is still the best keeper-batsman option for Test Cricket at the moment, and I feel he will be entering the prime years of his career now, so unless Murray returns and performs well domestically or one of these youngsters really hits their straps, I'd say Regis' spot is just about solid.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, Tsiga is possibly the most promising prospect to move to the next level - hopefully with his Aussie experience helping him in doing so. He was improving all the time before deciding to go to Australia and then getting stuck there due to Covid. I'll be following his progress closely.

Moor is essentially fighting for an opener slot or at no. 6. That makes it difficult for him especially in a non-8-3 situation.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:18 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

wait, there are games being played?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*