State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

franco vazquez wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:52 am
There are so many bad teams atm in cricket that all of them except Aus, Eng, Ind, NZ deserve to play qualifiers in order to get into WC. SA is at its worst atm and the direction in which its heading, i dont see them getting any better in next 10 years. Even in UK, the cricket is a sport just enjoyed by rich white people or British Asians. WI is getting better tbh, especially with the new management in WICB, SL is in dumps, Bangladesh is where it has been since ages, their current crop is not good at all. Severe lack of talent, their current team is like leagues below Kenya of 1996-2003. The only reason why they look better is because the other teams are getting worse. Pakistan is in a similar position but its still like 1000 times better than Bangladesh would beat them easily in any neutral venue.

ICC has to be the worst board in all the sports. If they were more focused on spreading the game rather than getting bullied by a third world country like India, Cricket would have been much better and I wouldn't have been embarrassed to tell the girl I'm into that cricket is my fav sport.
Even in Australia, Cricket isnt that popular really.
It has next to no female support. The ones that do are either carpetlickers or very tomboyish, and not the ones you'd try and slide into their DM's, put it that way.
You also wouldnt brag about being a good cricketer, unless you were making money, in which case thats what its about.

It isnt seen as a cool/glam sport. Not like NRL or AFL. If those guys go to a club for example, they get mobbed. Those are the sports Aussies genuinely get passionate about, plus soccer on a participation level.

You are only famous or a household name once you are an Aussie superstar. No one except enthusiasts would be able to name more than ten to twelve current players.

It does benefit from being the only summer sport played traditionally, and that its easy to sign up and play for a team.
So yes, it is a popular sport, but not as much as people think.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

franco vazquez wrote:
There are so many bad teams atm in cricket that all of them except Aus, Eng, Ind, NZ deserve to play qualifiers in order to get into WC. SA is at its worst atm and the direction in which its heading, i dont see them getting any better in next 10 years. Even in UK, the cricket is a sport just enjoyed by rich white people or British Asians. WI is getting better tbh, especially with the new management in WICB, SL is in dumps, Bangladesh is where it has been since ages, their current crop is not good at all. Severe lack of talent, their current team is like leagues below Kenya of 1996-2003. The only reason why they look better is because the other teams are getting worse. Pakistan is in a similar position but its still like 1000 times better than Bangladesh would beat them easily in any neutral venue.

ICC has to be the worst board in all the sports. If they were more focused on spreading the game rather than getting bullied by a third world country like India, Cricket would have been much better and I wouldn't have been embarrassed to tell the girl I'm into that cricket is my fav sport.

South Africa will definitely get better, they have so much talent. Bangladesh is also slowly but surely getting better, compare their fast bowlers to the ones a decade ago. Batsmen like Liton Das arent that bad either. Sri Lanka are the only team looking purely hopeless right now with players coming and leaving very quickly.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 am
It has next to no female support. The ones that do are either carpetlickers or very tomboyish, and not the ones you'd try and slide into their DM's, put it that way.
:lol: :lol: I missed this place, glad to see it's coming alive once again.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

South Africa 63/4 against Pakistan in the first ODI, miserable failures for Bavuma and Klaseen who looked completely out of sorts.

I seriously don't understand how can Bavuma be leading this side and how can they still manage to get Klaseen and Phelukwayo in the side..

Somehow Verreynne still can't make it to the playing XI.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Disgusting how verreyne can't get in this side

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
franco vazquez wrote:

You also wouldnt brag about being a good cricketer, unless you were making money, in which case thats what its about.

It isnt seen as a cool/glam sport. Not like NRL or AFL. If those guys go to a club for example, they get mobbed. Those are the sports Aussies genuinely get passionate about, plus soccer on a participation level.

You are only famous or a household name once you are an Aussie superstar. No one except enthusiasts would be able to name more than ten to twelve current players.

It does benefit from being the only summer sport played traditionally, and that its easy to sign up and play for a team.
Whilst I kinda agree Zimdoggy, it's a bit outdated. There are a lot more women playing cricket now although the guys and girls mostly don't mix at the cricket club. One or two date each other.

It is also quite popular like i mean people would be interested if you were a state cricketer or play big bash but the path to get there Is a hard largely unrecognised slog.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Whilst you're not wrong to a degree, you also are wrong to a degree.

Cricket does have female support and it's getting bigger. Only need to look at the growth of the WBBL to see that. The T20 WC also did well, particularly the final. It's getting a lot of sponsorship funding now too.

I think you'll find that cricket is definitely still a popular sport in Australia, but just not to the level other countries such as India and Pakistan take it.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Wow! Quite a thriller of a series going on between South Africa and Pakistan! What an innings today by Fakhar Zaman, world record for highest individual score batting second, 193.

Also the 2nd highest score in a losing cause, behind Charles Coventry's 194.

1-1 with one to go.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

bavuma did well...

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Beurin Hendricks getting into the XI must be such a slap in the face to lads like Nandre Burger and Marco Jansen. He is seriously not good enough for this level. Sipamla isn't a LOI bowler either and yet he still gets a game. Ridiculous selection