Popularity of cricket in Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Popularity of cricket in Zimbabwe

Post by slcricfan1 »

How popular is cricket in Zimbabwe exactly? The way people talk about cricket, it seems like its only popular with the white community and a small percentage of the black community but if players like Muzarabani and Ngrava are coming in who are well over 6 foot and could do well in so many other sports, surely cricket is getting more popular.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Popularity of cricket in Zimbabwe

Post by sloandog »

God these threads are tedious.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

There's been 14 years worth of debate on this forum about this exact topic. Somebody else can discuss

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

It is a poor country so soccer more popular. They couldn't do better in other sports. Unbelievably Zim cricket gets more money than most other sports in zim. It's kinda popular like everyone wants country to do well in cricket but not everyone can access the sport economically or interested in playing over other sports.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:18 am
How popular is cricket in Zimbabwe exactly? The way people talk about cricket, it seems like its only popular with the white community and a small percentage of the black community but if players like Muzarabani and Ngrava are coming in who are well over 6 foot and could do well in so many other sports, surely cricket is getting more popular.
You think it’s just height that makes you an athlete?
I’m 6ft 4 and I never played pro sport.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Height certainly gives an advantage and why would they choose cricket over something like football or basketball

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:24 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Height certainly gives an advantage and why would they choose cricket over something like football or basketball
Because they have a good eye for hitting a ball a long way or good bowling genes and aren’t that good at the other two.
It’s honestly that simple.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Cause the chances of making it big as a basketballer out of Zimbabwe is near to none.

Also I have not seen many really tall footballers like the size of blessing. It's not a must of an advantage in football more about skills.

Their height also gives them an advantage at cricket, they probably tried those other sports and weren't as good. Maybe they liked cricket as well or got encouraged to play.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I was a great soccer player as a kid but didn’t like it, so switched to rugby league which I just didn’t have the aptitude for at 11 years of age.
I switched to rugby at 13 which I was better at due to having terrible fitness (I actually wasn’t bad in hindsight I just didn’t preserve energy, I liked being the fastest on field) and liked the stoppages, but I had the same core issue from the league days, loved playing but was scared of getting smashed by fully developed 100kilo islanders

Point is it ain’t that simple as ‘athletic and tall you choose what sport to excel at’

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.