Series Thread: Women's World Cup Qualifiers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Series Thread: Women's World Cup Qualifiers

Post by maehara »

Zimbabwe Squad (per ICC website):
Julia Chibhabha (captain), Yvonne Rainsford, Precious Marange, Sharne Meyers, Ruvarahe Chinyemba, Emily Jinjika, Thandakwenkosi Mlilo, Susan Kudzibatira, Christabel Chatonzwa, Chipo Mugeri, Sinikiwe Mpofu, Chipo Kamchetsa, Sharyce Saili, Nonthlanthla Nyathi

Zim's first-round fixtures:

Code: Select all

18 February     Scotland v Zimbabwe     Van der Stel Cricket Club
19 February     Pakistan v Zimbabwe     Stellenbosch University 1
21 February     Ireland v Zimbabwe      Paul Roos Gymnasium

aydee

Re: Series Thread: Women's World Cup Qualifiers

Post by aydee »

I watched the African qualifying tournament in Nairobi which Zimbabwe won, and wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for this tournament to be honest. Zimbabwe were the best on a genuinely bad bunch. Uganda and Tanzania put out very young sides, that actually showed a fair deal of potential, whilst Kenya were truely terrible. The standard wasn't any better than womens club cricket in the UK, I'd be surprised if Zimbabwe had much success. That said, Julia Chibhabha's bowling was very accurate, and far too good for the opposition on display in Nairobi.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

It's telling that Zim's warm-up matches at home have been against U15 school sides (one against my old school, Eaglesvale - hope they put up a good showing for themselves!). I also remember several of the Africa zone games where the highest individual score was "extras", thanks to some very wayward bowling. That said, some writeups of Zim's side have been very positive - the Africa zone competition was Zimbabwe's first ever outing in women's cricket, and the side has shown some real potential, so I'm hoping they'll at least not embarass themselves.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://www.zimcricket.org/?pid=art&articleid=411

If it was the mens team, Zimbabwe would comfortably beat Scotland and Ireland (I should hope this time), and perhaps give South Africa a run for their money but lose.

The women's team I'm not so confident in though. I would think women have been playing cricket in Scotland and Ireland for quite some time, whereas it seems to be a relatively new thing in Zimbabwe I'm led to believe?

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

No news as yet on cricinfo of the Zim v Scotland game.

What about the Bermuda v South Africa game though :!:

Bermuda 13 all out in 18 overs, 10 extras, 3 players scoring 1 including their captain who managed hers off 48 balls. For SA Sunette Loubser had figures of 4-1-3-6 :shock:

SA reached their target with 296 balls remaining, Bermuda opening bowler Paynter having figures of 0.4-0-15-0 including 9 wides and 1 no ball.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Train Driver wrote:SA reached their target with 296 balls remaining, Bermuda opening bowler Paynter having figures of 0.4-0-15-0 including 9 wides and 1 no ball.
That has to be the highest winning margin in international cricket - winning off only 4 legal balls?

Looks like Bermuda's women are following their men's examples... :)

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

You have to feel sorry for the poor Bermudan girls though, they must be feeling terrible.

Losing badly is one thing but being completely humiliated is something else :cry:

Do they play against the Zim girls ? :lol:

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Train Driver wrote:You have to feel sorry for the poor Bermudan girls though, they must be feeling terrible.
Little snippet from the scorecard:
Drinks taken after fall of 7th wicket (15.5 overs). Batsmen went to wrong ends after the break.
Completely lost all will to play, I'd bet.
Losing badly is one thing but being completely humiliated is something else :cry:
This is true - I've seen Zimbabwe on the receiving end of enough drubbings to know it's not good - but the question here is, what sort of qualifying tourney did they come though that decided they were up to this level?
Do they play against the Zim girls ? :lol:
Sadly not!

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

CricInfo match report is worth a read.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Zimbabwe 147 (39/50 overs; Rainsford 37, Marange 22; White 2/5, Anderson 2/27)
Scotland 72 (31.2/50 overs; Urqhart 10, "Extras" 23; Rainsford 2/7, Jinjika 2/7)
Zimbabwe win by 75 runs.