Series thread: Standard Bank Pro20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Series thread: Standard Bank Pro20

Post by Train Driver »

The next series is almost upon us with the competition starting on March 25th.

The Zim fixtures are all away from home and on the following dates

Tues 25th - v Warriors in Port Elizabeth
Wed 26th - v Eagles in Bloemfontein
Thur 27th - v Lions in Johannesburg
Wed 2nd - v Dolphins in Durban
Wed 9th - v Cobras in Cape Town
Fri 11th - v Titans at Centurion

Semi finals are due to be played on the Fri 18th and Sun 20th with the final on Fri 25th April.

How will we do and what sort of squad will the side be selected from ?

20/20 is so different from any other form of cricket, it will be interesting to see whether the selectors just stick with the present senior squad or go for 'outsiders' such as Strydom amd Mawoyo. One player that did come to my mind was Piet Rinke, a man who showed that, on his day, he could hit the ball very hard and score the quick runs that 20/20 demands.

I am really looking forward to seeing the starting 11 for the Warriors match.

jimbo

Re: Series thread : Standard Bank Pro20

Post by jimbo »

Yeah i think rinke will be very hit and miss, Thing is though if he hits a quick 25-30 even then he's done his job at the top order!! Remember this is not a test match but 20/20

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

An ideal eleven, from players that may be available would be:

1. V. Sibanda
2. B. Taylor
3. C. Coventry
4. T. Taibu
5. G. Strydom
6. H. Masakadza
7. E. Chigumbura
8. R. Price
9. G. Brent
10. P. Utseya
11. T. Mupariwa

I think Sibanda and Taylor opening is non-negotiable. I mean, how stupid would the management be to remove the openers who defeated Australia and almost repeated it against England? Regardless of how effective Masakadza and Taibu have been, I think Taylor and Sibanda are our most attacking batsmen capable of building a good Twenty20 innings.

After Coventry's triple century in under 60 overs, why wouldn't you want him in the team. Strydom too, and apparently Johnson Marumisa knows where the boundaries are too.

As both of you have said, Piet Rinke is another wildcard, but he really has dropped off the radar. I don't think he's even played in the SAA series.

Edit: I just realised I missed Sean Williams. Not sure if he's suited to Twenty20 or not, but it would probably be between he and Masakadza. I like Masakadza in the Twenty20 team, his run a ball 27 or so against Australia was vital.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I agree with most of the side, but I would play an extra batsman. Especially since Sibanda and Taylor are woefully out of form, and the middle order might get exposed very early in the innings. So I would also play Williams in the side.

I would open with Sibanda and Coventry (if available for selection), so that Coventry can take advantage of field restrictions in first 6 overs. Taylor would still be no.5 in my team, purely because of current form, or the lack of it.

A choice of second seemer is between Brent and Mupariwa, and it would be made based on form and conditions, and the choice of seventh batsman too, Strydom or Matsikenyeri, would be based on form. Williams and Masakadza can handle the 5th bowlers quota. So, here's the team.

Sibanda
Coventry
Taibu
Williams
Taylor
Masakadza
Strydom / Matsikenyeri
Chigumbura
Utseya
Brent / Mupariwa
Price

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Series thread: Standard Bank Pro20

Post by Kopje »

Any chance of a link showing live or delayed transmission for this series?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Kopje wrote:Any chance of a link showing live or delayed transmission for this series?
I'm pretty sure a few of Zimbabwe's games will get shown. After the win over Australia I think there is a bit of interest to see how they go. I expect the live streams to be on the same websites as the MTN series, So bhejafry will probably have them, and there is another site too which I can't remember off the top of my head. :)

zulu

Post by zulu »

my sqaud for pro 20 series:

1.V.Sibanda
2.B.Taylor
3.T.Taibu
H.Masakadza
5.J.Marumisa
6.S.Matsikenyeri
7.G.Strydom
8.E.Chigumbura
9.P.Utseya
10.G.Brent
11.R.Price.

This would be an intersting line up with brent and Chigumbura opening and Strydom first change Ive seen him bowl and he is useful.the lineup lacks a seamer but i think Masakadza could turn his arm over. the main reason I like this lineup is because it is packed with attacking batsman who are all capable of hitting the ball hard!

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by andy24 »

My line up is
1. Sinbanda
2. Taylor
3. Conventry??? if he makes himself un availible then i would put Matsikneri there because he can get quick runs
4. Williams
5. Taibu
6. Matsikneri or MAzakadza
7. Chigumbura
8. Usteya
9. Muparwi or Rainsford muparwia gets in because of lack of pace and Accuracy
10. Price
11. Brent

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Zimbabwe preparing for their Pro20 series in South Africa.

http://www.zimcricket.org/index.php?pid ... icleid=446
http://www.brmtaylor.com/news-58.html
The squad features a couple of new faces from the group that beat Australia last year, namely spinner Ray Price, pace bowler Taurai Muzarabani and batsman Regis Chakabva. The 13 man squad consists of: Prosper Utseya (captain), Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Regis Chakabva, Keith Dabengwa, Timycen Maruma, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Tawanda Mupariwa, Taurai Muzarabani, Raymond Price, Tatenda Taibu and Brendan Taylor (likely wk).

Zimbabwe XI (likely): Brendan Taylor, Hamilton Masakadza, Chamu Chibhabha, Tatenda Taibu, Regis Chakabva, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Keith Dabengwa, Elton Chigumbura, Prosper Utseya, Tawanda Mupariwa, Raymond Price
Injuries: V Sibanda (3 weeks, hip), S Williams (2 weeks, ankle), G Brent (2 weeks, fractured finger)

If we had 3 key injuries in 2006, it would have been a disaster. Thankfully now we have a bit of depth (but beyond the 15th man it thins out), so it doesn't affect us too much.

I think Taylor/Masakadza will open, it would make sense for the Twenty20's. Likewise, I think Taylor will be wicket keeper leaving Taibu and Chakabva to run around in the field.

I'd like to see Chigumbura play the role of a floating batsman. If we are 0/70 after 10 overs and a wicket falls, I'd like to see Chigumbura out there applying more pressure. If we are 4/50 after 10 overs, then keep him at number 7 or 8 to score big in the last couple of overs while Chakabva and Matsikenyeri consolidate during the middle overs.

I think Zimbabwe will win this tournament. On paper Zimbabwe are stronger than any other team, and we have enough key players to cause problems for the opposition. Namely Brendan Taylor, Hamilton Masakadza, Keith Dabengwa (I never thought I'd say that, but he is ideally suited to Twenty20) and Elton Chigumbura. And of the bowlers, Chigumbura and Ray Price. I'm really looking forward to this series, I think Zimbabwe will take everybody by surprise.

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

Zimbabwes game with the lions is livestreamed on the 27th.