Zimbabwe Vs Oman | ICC CWC Qualifier Super Sixes | 29 June 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
MMK45

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Oman | ICC CWC Qualifier Super Sixes | 29 June 2023

Post by MMK45 »

Hello ZCF. Longtime lurker finally posting.

After watching that game, I almost think Zimbabwe can make it feel like the old 8-3 style structure without sacrificing the bowling option using Jongwe. I remember that Sri Lanka series where Zimbabwe won 3-2 with Waller batting at 8. It felt less fragile to me and it probably did to the players which is why they seemed more confident. While Jongwe won't bowl 10, he is definitely good for 4-5 with Williams and Madhevere making up the fifth bowler with him.

An XI of:

1Gumbie
2Kaia
3Ervine
4Williams
5Raza
6Burl
7Madhevere
8Jongwe
9Masakadza
10Ngarava
11Muzarabani

This feels very sturdy in the batting department, and I don't think there's a net loss in the bowling really. Chatara has been good in the past, but seems to be down on form at the moment unfortunately. I think, at least for the SL game, this XI would work really well.

MMK45

Post by MMK45 »

Also just wanted to say that Gumbie's keeping has been surprisingly quite good. Not squeaky clean but he has taken some good catches and looks good for a stumping.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I'm not happy with using so many bowlers. Esp with not using Wellington effectively. He must be bowling his full quota.

Ideally ZIM should focus on giving full Quota to Blessing, Ngarava, Raza, Wellington and Chatara/Evans.

Only if the above bowlers are having a bad day then Williams, Burl, Madhevere should come into the picture.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:23 pm
Googly wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:47 pm
Whilst we are short of batsmen the bowling stocks are also thin. We don't have any other quick bowlers in Zim.

Theres a Falcon youngster who's about 6ft 5 and a leftie that might end up being decent. That's if he doesn't go the academic route.
Even though I have been banging om about it for ten years, I think by now we all know the 'academic route' is completely obsolete in 2023.
It doesn't apply here. We're a landlocked, 4th world country, the kids want to get the fu k out of Dodge for while and experience the rest of the world.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:42 pm
Against Sri Lanka we need a lot of changes. We got to bat until number 9 if possible. We can't have 3 tail enders. Kaia and Evans would be playing if I was the coach

We have had a lot of luck
Let's be honest , Sean Williams has single handedly carried this country on his back so far this series. He has been unbelievable but what if he fails , what then ? You cannot go into the sri lankan game with only 6 batsman and you definatley cannot play Chatara full stop. So the team I would pick in batting order would be
Kaia
Gumbie
Ervine
Williams
Madhevere
Raza
Burl
Masakadza
Evans/Jongwe
Ngarava
Muzarabani

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:27 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:42 pm
Against Sri Lanka we need a lot of changes. We got to bat until number 9 if possible. We can't have 3 tail enders. Kaia and Evans would be playing if I was the coach

We have had a lot of luck
Let's be honest , Sean Williams has single handedly carried this country on his back so far this series. He has been unbelievable but what if he fails , what then ? You cannot go into the sri lankan game with only 6 batsman and you definatley cannot play Chatara full stop. So the team I would pick in batting order would be
Kaia
Gumbie
Ervine
Williams
Madhevere
Raza
Burl
Masakadza
Evans/Jongwe
Ngarava
Muzarabani

Very true in as much as the batters are expected to do a job up top, it could get ugly very fast is we lost Williams/Ervine cheaply. We really need to add a batsman. The Chatara situation seems to be beyond everyone's comprehension besides the powers that be.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I know I got called out in this thread yesterday. I'll own my part. I'm aware I am a nervous sports watcher and more so when it comes to Zim. It's never against anyone. I think that's why I get angry when called out. I don't attack others yet I seem to receive a lot. I apologise for any strong fits of rage or angry temperament that has come through in my posts.

I have thoughts on the game but I think I need to leave them best unsaid. I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone so I'm going to take a leave of absence till after the qualifiers I think. My mental state at the moment is not suited to being a strong contributor to the forums, and I don't wish to upset anyone. Hopefully I'll return in a better state and with Zim having qualified for the World Cup.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

No harm meant at all. I am too much the other way and annoyingly optimistic :lol: No harm meant buddy, hope you are back soon.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

mnelson68 wrote:
Let's be honest , Sean Williams has single handedly carried this country on his back so far this series.
He’s having an incredible tournament (that’s a GOOD thing btw). And you are right that we are relying on him to come good one or two more times this tournament to see us home, for sure.

But it’s a bit unfair on Ervine and Raza who are also having great tournaments, Gumbie who has seen off the new ball in every single match, and Ngarava who is having the best couple of weeks of his career!

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:58 am
mnelson68 wrote:
Let's be honest , Sean Williams has single handedly carried this country on his back so far this series.
He’s having an incredible tournament (that’s a GOOD thing btw). And you are right that we are relying on him to come good one or two more times this tournament to see us home, for sure.

But it’s a bit unfair on Ervine and Raza who are also having great tournaments, Gumbie who has seen off the new ball in every single match, and Ngarava who is having the best couple of weeks of his career!
Totally agree with that , I wasn't disregarding those guys performances at all , they have been very good but Williams is the key and I do worry that if he gets out cheaply it's big trouble hence why the extra bat is a must.