Where to from here?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Where to from here?

Post by Googly »

He's actually quite a circumspect careful batsman. Backs himself to catch up if need be and hasn't been doing it that well of late.
Swashbuckling and County pitches and bowling are not words that go together :lol:

tgk

Post by tgk »

What's our next international game?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

tgk wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:47 pm
Got Afghanistan in August but with Afghans you never know until the match has started. It is supposed to be in the UAE.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:13 pm
tgk wrote:
Got Afghanistan in August but with Afghans you never know until the match has started. It is supposed to be in the UAE.
Are they test matches

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:58 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:13 pm
tgk wrote:
Are they test matches
Supposed to be 2 tests, 3 ODIs and 3 T20s, but i don't think they have time to play all those.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:31 am
I don't think pace was the major issue actually. Those two deliveries that got Sean and Craig had late nasty swing and were on the money. Most batters would have had problems keeping those out. Sean's delivery was an absolute jaffer.
People are throwing their arms up and saying we can't face pace, but bowlers bowl jaffers, it's cricket.

Richie bowled well and got it going away from the righties and then the one that came back in, but the others didn't get much movement at all. We have two giant bowlers that can threaten most batters and yet our first ten overs in every game were largely unproductive with not a lot of swing on offer. A bit of that was because it's cricket and we could have gotten luckier but none of our seamers are quite accurate enough, there's often one, if not two average deliveries per over. If you're bowling less than 130 you need to be seriously on the money at international level. One boundary an over and you're going at 6 or 7. That's expensive.
I do think Blessing bowled a little too full, the idea being that length where you're not sure whether to go forward or back, but he's got the height and bounce to bowl top of the box directly at the batsman and make life really uncomfortable.
Also when he ran in and bowled slightly quicker he was different gravy.
Also there was a lot of wicket to wicket when 4th was sometimes a better option. I also think they could have used the short ball a bit more. Small margins and easy to say after the fact.

There may well be other new options as well as Myers next year if they're smart -
Bennet, Cartwright (?), Byrom, Welchx2, Schardendorf
There's not a lot in it at this level ability wise, it's who finds a way of making runs more consistently than the others. The coach clearly plays a part, but at this level the batsman has to find a way that works all by himself. You can't make one, he has to invent himself with your help.

We can't put all our eggs in one basket as we've done with Wes and to a lesser degree Milton. We need a handful of guys with what may be a higher ceiling. When your betting on the only two good young guys in the system to come good quickly what are the odds? I mean what happens if Madhevere gets a career ending injury and they don't have a single back-up?
That's where they're at now, it's just plain ridiculous.
Also good batters don't get a decent score 2 out of 3 innings on average. That's the real good ones as well.
In the highly unlikely event the Big 3 walked now we are finished as a cricketing nation. Its that serious. If Richie and Blessing walked we are equally fucked. I'm sure they know this, but looking at cheap miracle solutions of hoping someone we've seen multiple times suddenly coming good are slim. Picking guys not doing so well overseas is also slim, but all day its a better and the only option. The trick is to get them here for $200 a month.

An interesting one would be to know what our retired players are getting for this T10 vs what the current players are being paid. It will tell you directly whether they're serious about managing our cricket or lining their pockets. :lol:
We need serious people for the job at hand.

I get that we need a batting all-rounder that is a seamer. Dion would tick that box, but he needs to play full time cricket under good supervision to come close to achieving that, but he has no more ability than the guys I've mentioned. He's one guy. We need about 8 of them and pray 2 can step up. That's a great return.
What about Dustin Melton ? Do you think he could be a viable option to target as the bowling stocks are thin.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

God if I see one more post about this Melton chap I think
I’ll chuck it in!

Concentrate on the blokes who are here, not some random cricketer struggling to make it in England with some Zim heritage.

😴

Aged 28 with 11 first class game and a bowling average of 40 and batting average of 5 …….

You can see why I get frustrated that the same people who call Chatara a donkey will call for the likes of Melton like he’s a messiah 🤬
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:18 am
I’ll chuck it in!

Concentrate on the blokes who are here, not some random cricketer struggling to make it in England with some Zim heritage.

😴

Aged 28 with 11 first class game and a bowling average of 40 and batting average of 5 …….

You can see why I get frustrated that the same people who call Chatara a donkey will call for the likes of Melton like he’s a messiah 🤬
He's quite injury prone too. Don't need another Jarvis who is quality wise a good few miles worse :lol:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:

This I genuinely understand. I will admit that I am not 100% in the know on our bowling stocks, however I will back my views on Chatara but don't call for players I don't know.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

jaybro wrote:
I’ll chuck it in!

😴

Jog on pal , it was a question i asked and i never called him the messiah. The bowling stocks are pretty poor right now but you can stick with Chatara and go knowhere.