ZC Changes

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: ZC Changes

Post by TapsC2 »

Judging by the "silence" that followed all that morning chatter. Something tells me nothing is confirmed yet.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Silence is because i redistributed mawozas farm to some brothers, pissed on his wifi box and stamped on his phone. Back at the club by 5 for drinks. Show him what Rhodies are really all about.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

So the whispers I have heard tonight is that -
the positions of the director of cricket and the head coach will be discussed and voted on at a meeting of the relatively new 'Cricket Committee' which is chaired by Blessing Ngondo. I'm not sure if the meeting has already happened or if it is scheduled.? Dave and Hamilton themselves are members of the committee. Apparently a simple majority vote decides it.

The Chairman of the Board of Directors has sent communication to the committee asking them to convene and urgent meeting and consider Dave/Hami's positions. The Board want him gone, but in theory the cricket committee decides? They won't go against the chairman or the MD anyway.

I guess it could be a few days before we hear an official statement. There's probably contractual stuff to sort as well as interim replacements etc, and they'll want to ensure the players especially King Raza is happy.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

King Raza :lol: :lol: might be the best one yet that.

Really is king too, he holds a lot of power in these shenanigans and I hope he gets a good arrangement out of it all.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I get the Mawoza "leaked" information, but they must surely be interested/concerned where Adam Theo gets his scoops from.

SZ- this makes more sense. The cricket committee we discussed recently-
11.That the Cricket Committee be constituted as follows: Blessing Ngondo (Chairman), Hamilton Masakadza, Kenyon Ziehl, Russell Tiffin, Julia Chibhabha, Dave Houghton and Elton Chigumbura

If it were true and if Masakadza and Dave were to stick together (in itself an interesting question and presumably neither can vote) it would potentially be a hung vote with Ngondo being the decider. Would one have to suffer the indignity of leaving the room whilst the other voted?
This is smart politics removing oneself directly from what's bound to be a massively unpopular decision to sack DH and yet directly controlling the outcome.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Best and the worst in cricket old ZC. They’ve done a lot right post Covid but this stinks. Chopping for the sake of it is petty. We know who’s boss, no need to shoot yourself in the foot to make Dave a scapegoat. He’s the best we’d get and even they know that deep down. Need to wield that axe rather than take responsibility for their own failings, show who’s chief in that crazy African way.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

As usual there are always a number of underlying issues to why the team has failed. But we cannot look past the decisions made both in regard to team selection and decisions on the field for this latest debacle.

I’m obviously the last person on earth defending Chatara’s honor, but even I knew he should have been retired after the 50 over CWCQ. I understand with Evans injured options were limited, but there were other options.

Although the majority of the team shit the bed v Uganda, that over from Chatara where he kept bowling on pace deliveries was a disaster and you could see by the last ball he had mentally disintegrated.

The decision to play Wellington, despite the fact he can’t bat in t20 format and they don’t trust him as their No.1 spinner proved costly in both the failed qualifying quests. You can only imagine his brother Hamilton had some weight in his continuous selection.

I’ve always liked Raz and thought he should be captain, but his bowling choices in that Uganda game were mind boggling to say the least. I also thought his decision to promote himself to opener after the damage was already done was poor. I don’t think it was great leadership to promote yourself for the easy games, especially after what had gone on before.

As someone said there will never be a good time for the team to lose Ervine and Williams, but I’d say now is as good as ever. 4 years till the next World Cup and 3 till the next t20. Zim really need to make every decision now based on being as competitive as possible by the next 50 over WC.

Hosting a WC comes around once every 20 years or so, so it’s an opportunity that can’t be missed to out your best foot forward. Last time around there was so much drama with the home politics and the black arm band thing. Only a combination of England boycotting and bad weather got them through to Super 6s.

There also seems to be a decent pool of younger players around at the moment. Sure, there’s no Williams or Ervine waiting in the wings, but there’s enough there not to have to revert to Maruma or Chamu. With the likes of Ervine, Williams & Chatara moving on (if they do) it might also entice some others to return ie Byrom, Matigmu etc.

I would be tempted to keep Dave on as coach, although the results make it hard to argue that call. I just don’t know who else they’ll get? That’s why I argued so hard to keep Streak 1st time around, because I knew there’s be no adequate replacement.

Things are going to get worse before they get better, but the focus from this point on has to be the 2027 WC in Zimbabwe.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:14 pm
As usual there are always a number of underlying issues to why the team has failed. But we cannot look past the decisions made both in regard to team selection and decisions on the field for this latest debacle.

I’m obviously the last person on earth defending Chatara’s honor, but even I knew he should have been retired after the 50 over CWCQ. I understand with Evans injured options were limited, but there were other options.

Although the majority of the team shit the bed v Uganda, that over from Chatara where he kept bowling on pace deliveries was a disaster and you could see by the last ball he had mentally disintegrated.

The decision to play Wellington, despite the fact he can’t bat in t20 format and they don’t trust him as their No.1 spinner proved costly in both the failed qualifying quests. You can only imagine his brother Hamilton had some weight in his continuous selection.

I’ve always liked Raz and thought he should be captain, but his bowling choices in that Uganda game were mind boggling to say the least. I also thought his decision to promote himself to opener after the damage was already done was poor. I don’t think it was great leadership to promote yourself for the easy games, especially after what had gone on before.

As someone said there will never be a good time for the team to lose Ervine and Williams, but I’d say now is as good as ever. 4 years till the next World Cup and 3 till the next t20. Zim really need to make every decision now based on being as competitive as possible by the next 50 over WC.

Hosting a WC comes around once every 20 years or so, so it’s an opportunity that can’t be missed to out your best foot forward. Last time around there was so much drama with the home politics and the black arm band thing. Only a combination of England boycotting and bad weather got them through to Super 6s.

There also seems to be a decent pool of younger players around at the moment. Sure, there’s no Williams or Ervine waiting in the wings, but there’s enough there not to have to revert to Maruma or Chamu. With the likes of Ervine, Williams & Chatara moving on (if they do) it might also entice some others to return ie Byrom, Matigmu etc.

I would be tempted to keep Dave on as coach, although the results make it hard to argue that call. I just don’t know who else they’ll get? That’s why I argued so hard to keep Streak 1st time around, because I knew there’s be no adequate replacement.

Things are going to get worse before they get better, but the focus from this point on has to be the 2027 WC in Zimbabwe.
Top post mate! Shows why you are so much respected on the forum.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

As much as we all like Houghton, no coach, no matter who they are, should survive a debacle like failing to qualify for the T20 CWC with only associates standing in the way. If we were to keep the coach and all the players what message would we send? Results don't matter? Even if things get worse in the short term, what exactly are we hanging on to? The time for blowing everything up is now.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

eugene wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:51 am
As much as we all like Houghton, no coach, no matter who they are, should survive a debacle like failing to qualify for the T20 CWC with only associates standing in the way. If we were to keep the coach and all the players what message would we send? Results don't matter? Even if things get worse in the short term, what exactly are we hanging on to? The time for blowing everything up is now.
Absolutely, I agree. Enough of living with mediocrity. Actually not even mediocrity, it's abject hopelessness.