Series Thread: Al Barakha Cup (Canada T20)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Series Thread: Al Barakha Cup (Canada T20)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Fixtures:
Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe - King City - October 10
Canada v Zimbabwe - King City - October 11
Pakistan v Zimbabwe - King City - October 12

Zimbabwe squad: Prosper Utseya (c), Regis Chakabva (wk), Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Graeme Cremer, Keith Dabengwa, Timycen Maruma, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa, Taurai Muzarabani, Raymond Price, Tatenda Taibu (wk), Cephas Zhuwawo.

Weather: Friday (19°C | 5°C), Saturday (21°C | 9°C), Sunday (23°C | 10°C)

My predictions are that we will beat Canada quite convincingly, and not embarrass ourselves against Pakistan or Sri Lanka. We are capable of producing an upset (although it will be hard without our proven T20 performers Taylor and Sibanda) but if we do it will be the result of good bowling, as it was against Australia. With no Gary Brent we lose a good economic bowler, so we have to hope that Mupariwa will fill that gap and that Chigumbura will be the wicket taker he normally is.

I don't think this batting lineup is capable of more than 120 runs against decent opposition (but 140 with Taylor, 150 with Taylor and Sibanda), so that has to be the target for the bowlers to restrict the opposition to. Stuart Matsikenyeri must step up. He's been on the scene for what, 6 years now? He's done next to nothing in that time... I feel that his reputation has been carrying him for some time (ie. he made the 2003 World Cup squad with the likes of Andy & Grant Flower, Heath Streak etc, then he must be good) and he needs to start letting the bat do the talking.

Obviously Hamilton Masakadza is the key batsman, followed by Chamu Chibhabha who I think will do well batting at his preferred number three position again. Taibu has a lot hanging over his head, and while he is a good ODI and Test player, he has performed poorly in both the IPL and the T20 International's he's played. It would be nice to see him slaughter the opposition, perhaps score a century (against Canada, this is a real possibility for the entire top order - especially Masakadza) but as maehara said in another thread, it's pretty unlikely.

Now, my prediction for the Sri Lanka game: Taibu, Masakadza, Chibhabha, Matsikenyeri, Chakabva, Dabengwa, Chigumbura, Utseya, Price, Mupariwa, Mpofu

Marumisa made the ICC World Twenty20 squad but didn't play, I think this will be the case for Zhuwawo to an extent. Play Sri Lanka with the best possible team (and if we win, play the same team against Pakistan), but play Zhuwawo against Canada (probably in place of Dabengwa) and again against Pakistan for the experience if we lost the Sri Lanka game.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Series Thread: Al Barakha Cup (Canada T20)

Match delayed due to a wet outfield. Match will start at 3:30 PM BST.

That is about 40 minutes from now. Not sure what it means in terms of overs... maybe 14 or 15 overs a side? This is actually not a bad thing for Zimbabwe, the less overs there are the closer it brings the teams. There will be a greater focus on the top order scoring quickly rather than keeping any wickets in hand for later, meaning it positions our big hitters against theirs.

If it game to a hit out between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, we might just have the firepower. It would essentially be Jayasuriya against Chigumbura and Taibu (and Dabengwa and Matsikenyeri could give it a swing too... maybe Zhuwawo could get selected especially as a pinch hitter). This delay makes the match very interesting, and more evenly poised.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Sri Lanka won the toss and are fielding first, Jayasuriya is not playing.

The team:

Matsikenyeri
Masakadza
Chibhabha
Taibu
Dabengwa
Chigumbura
Maruma
Utseya
Price
Mupariwa
Mpofu

Zimbabwe currently 0/2 (runs, not wickets :))

Now the good news for everyone... you can watch this match! Go to this website :) It looks like Alistair Campbell may be one of the commentators, not too sure.

Zimbabwe have got off to a nice start here, 0/11 after the first over thanks to some fine pull shots from Masakadza it looked like. Match reduced to 17 overs a side.

Edit 1: Maharoof strikes, 1/11... pretty stupid shot, went straight up in the air. Unsurprisingly, it was Matsikenyeri. Looks like we're wearing the Zimbabwe A outfit (the blue and red one :? )

Edit 2: Masakadza with a big six over long on. Classy shot, 1/17 from 1.4 overs. He's swung and missed at 2 in a row, all trying to go over long on. At least he's trying.

Edit 3: Ignore Cricinfo's commentary, they are about 5 minutes behind the live play, and it's Chibhabha at number 3, not Chigumbura :roll:

Edit 4: Another six. HUGE. Over long off this time, out of the park. Masakadza again, fantastic shot. 22 from 13, he is on fire. 1/26

Edit 5: Pull/slog along the ground through midwicket, single to Chibhabha. 1/27.

Edit 6: Masakadza out, chipped to mid off. And the stream just died :(

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Thanks for the link brmtaylor.com admin, It is indeed Ali Campbell in commentary along with Ranil Abeyanayake, I think.

Great start despite losing Matsikenyeri early. As I had predicted in one of the other threads, Masakadza is our key to success, and he is on a roll at the moment... :D

EDIT: Oh, no spoke too soon... :(

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, its not working anymore. Spoke too soon about the stream too... :(

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

On Cricinfo's "commentary":
We regret we are unable to provide live commentary at the moment. There has been a power failure in the media centre.
Stick that in the "truth and facts translator" and you will get this output:
Yep, the online stream we were watching just died too.

And now it's back!! 2/39 from 5.2, someone must have been hitting some sixes. Great start from the boys. And now a 4 from Taibu down to fine leg (just missed the stumps), 2/43. Masakadza's 22 or so was a treat to watch. Gee wouldn't Taylor be great in this team today.

r@ndom

Post by r@ndom »

cricinfo also has E Rainsford in the squad for the T20, i assume this is also a mistake but kind of hope by some miracle he is back in the fold. mpofu doesn't do it for me

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

r@ndom wrote:cricinfo also has E Rainsford in the squad for the T20, i assume this is also a mistake but kind of hope by some miracle he is back in the fold. mpofu doesn't do it for me
They have the wrong squad list; Mujuru, Rainsford etc are not in the squad. The squad list posted in the first post is the actual squad. :)

Edit: 3/55 after 8 according to Cricinfo. Take with a grain of salt.
Edit 2: They just revised it back to 3/44, I really don't think they have a clue. Whoops, musical chairs, now it's 3/56 :lol: :lol: Good if true, 6.7 is an acceptable run rate.