Bad news on sean williams

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jimbo

Bad news on sean williams

Post by jimbo »

Zimbabwe news

Sean Williams turns his back on Zimbabwe

Steven Price in Harare

October 29, 2008

Sean Williams has ended weeks of speculation by confirming he does not intend making himself available for Zimbabwe. There had been rumours that he was considering his future after he declined to join the recent tours of Canada and Kenya.

Williams, the former Under-19 captain who is now playing his cricket in Johannesburg, told local media sources that he had quit the team altogether. He is said to have been frustrated by "practice without matches", blaming the Zimbabwe board for the inactivity.

The news will be a massive blow to Zimbabwe on the eve of their home ODI series against Sri Lanka. In the last fortnight they have suffered defeats at the hands of Kenya and Uganda and tied with Canada in one-day games.

The news comes hot on the heels of the recent loss of Brendan Taylor, one of their leading players, who has chosen to play club cricket in Australia after one too many disagreements with the Zimbabwe board.

There is also uncertainty over the position of Tatenda Taibu who only joined the recent tour at the 11th hour after a major row with the board. While he did play, he was believed to be deeply frustrated at the way he had been treated.

Steven Price is a freelance journalist based in Harare

II thought sean was injured for a long time and just coming back into match fitness so his comments might be a bit unwarranted. Who knows :? . Anyway a big blow to zimbabwe along with taylor leaving

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Bad news on sean williams

Post by Train Driver »

Maybe i should have kept my big mouth shut on the other thread.

Personally i think this news is as bad as it gets for Zim cricket. Sean Williams, IMHO, has the talent to become the best batsman produced by Zim since the Flower/Campbell era.

This is a massive, massive disaster, especially with the loss of BRM and Gary Brent so recently and the loss of so many others, of all colours just in case anyone mistakenly thinks i am just mentioning whites, in the last 5 years.

Sadly this is ZC simply mirroring the disaster of life in present day Zimbabwe. When will that dreadful man go ?

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Its strange how with so many players leaving that there isnt some sort of Board inquiry and a radical overhaul of zimbabwe cricket where there should be a complete shake-up at the top. The present set up just isnt working. It is alrming really all these defections. No amount of racial smoke-screening can cover this one up. :x

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Another huge blow. Zimbabwe cricket is on the brink now...

I agree with maehara's post @ http://sandbox.zimcricketnews.com/node/1827 - Chawaguta doesn't give much hope for the future. It seems to me that he's all words - quick to point out the problems with the team but when it comes to actually doing something about it...

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I kept thinking for hours as to how to react to this news. Couldn't come up with words to describe my disappointment, but couldn't resist posting something here too. So disclaimer: Every statement you read in this post is a gross understatement. :(
Train Driver wrote:Sean Williams, IMHO, has the talent to become the best batsman produced by Zim since the Flower/Campbell era.
There is no doubt about that. I don't think many would disagree.

We have lost some of the brightest of stars over the last decade. If we consider the sheer untapped / pretty much untapped talent lost at different stages, these names come to mind:

Graeme Hick, 1983
Murray Goodwin, 2000
Henry Olonga, 2003
Sean Ervine, 2004
Tanishe Panyangara, 2006
Sean Williams, 2008

The two Seans would have lit up Zimbabwe's chances at world stage for sure.

I am desperate not to, but can almost foresee the next addition to this list. Many in the forum have become "his" fans, but none in the ZC top brass want to talk about him or his talent for obvious reasons. They are ready to praise every Tom, Dick and Harry they are suppoting, but not this man, who should have been a regular in the team for a long while now. I am hoping agianst hope that at least "he" stays around till things improve, if ever.

There must be criminal charges against those at the helm of ZC. They have all but killed the flourishing Zimbabwean cricket within a decade.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

'Many in the forum have become "his" fans'

Not a nod to graeme cremer then?.. :)

I think this boy will soon get fed up with everything as he is certainly good enough to break into the current squad and be a very good player indeed. Playing the ever useless dabengwa in front of him would get me fed up as well :evil:

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

My thoughts here. In short: not happy.

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by andy24 »

this is a terible waste of talent. he is clearly the best batsman Zimbabwe have. It should never of come to this

tlse

Post by tlse »

for information Sean Williams is playing club cricket for wanderers in johannesburg. In 4 innings is batting average is 19,25 with a best inning at 37.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

tlse wrote:for information Sean Williams is playing club cricket for wanderers in johannesburg. In 4 innings is batting average is 19,25 with a best inning at 37.
:( He should be tearing that league apart