Who are these fellas?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Who are these fellas?

Post by Kopje »

As i was browsing Brendan Taylor 's website (which is very good i must say!!) , i stumbled upon these names Mohammed Sad Khan and
Sikandar Raza Butt. Have they respresented Pakistan at international level , if not are they eligible to play for Zimbabwe? Nice to see we got international players in Zim at the moment.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Who are these fellas?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Kopje wrote:As i was browsing Brendan Taylor 's website (which is very good i must say!!) , i stumbled upon these names Mohammed Sad Khan and
Sikandar Raza Butt. Have they respresented Pakistan at international level , if not are they eligible to play for Zimbabwe? Nice to see we got international players in Zim at the moment.
Thanks for the kind words. Those players have me stumped as well. As I put in one of their profiles, the best idea I have regarding the inclusion of those players were that they were imported by ZC.

There was some talk a couple of years ago that ZC were going to bring in some international players (Kenya and Pakistan were both floated around) to boost the level of competition in the Logan Cup. As we know, Kenya were included through their A team. Pakistan were not to any significant degree - however, it is of my opinion these two players were brought in by ZC. Perhaps they were doing well in club cricket in Pakistan.

They haven't represented Pakistan, in fact, neither of them had even played First Class cricket prior to the Logan Cup. I assume they are both eligible for Zimbabwe, although I don't know when they emigrated from Pakistan and if that holds any bearing. Not that either of them would be even close to selection, although Raza did make 84 in one game :)

I have no way of verifying any of this, they could just be Pakistani's choosing to live in Zimbabwe, but that is my reasoning :)

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

I know first hand that Sakinder Butt is a zimbabwe national. How or why he is i am unsure but he does play first class cricket for for OH i think. He is eligable to play for zimbabwe if selected.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

zimdan wrote:I know first hand that Sakinder Butt is a zimbabwe national. How or why he is i am unsure but he does play first class cricket for for OH i think. He is eligable to play for zimbabwe if selected.
Yeah, he plays for Northerns in the Logan Cup. Surprising to hear he is a national, he would have had to relinquish his Pakistani citizenship for that? I thought Zimbabwe had strict dual-citizenship laws... IIRC John Bredenkamp was in a bit of strife a few years ago for having multiple passports.

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

Yes true that , Zimbabwean law restrict dual nationality. However if those players have good stats to their name, i don't see why not they should get selected.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Eligibility under ICC rules is linked to residency & not nationality, remember - I think it's four years in the country & playing in the local leagues, after which you're eligible for selection in the ICC's eyes. National boards may have their own nationality rules, though.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

ohh how this Sikander Raza Butt turned out to be 😂, i actually saw him live in 2008 at Takashinga and i was just as surprised as everyone in this thread.
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Thought this was trolling until I saw the date.

Raza wasn’t eligible in those days. He was picked when he became eligible. He told me himself.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I honestly didn't even pick up the date. What happened to the other guy then?

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

And here I was hoping kopje had returned.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes