Match Thread - 1st ODI - Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Match Thread - 1st ODI - Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Date: Nov 30
Start of play: 07:30 GMT

Venue: Harare Sports Club, Harare, Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe squad: Prosper Utseya (captain), Gary Brent (vice captain), Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Graeme Cremer, Keith Dabengwa, Terrence Duffin, Trevor Garwe, Blessing Mahwire, Timycen Maruma, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa, Raymond Price, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams.

West Indies squad: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Chris Gayle, Devon Smith, Denesh Ramdin, Dwayne Bravo, Daren Powell, Fidel Edwards, Runako Morton, Jerome Taylor, Rawl Lewis, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Narsingh Deonarine, Brenton Parchment, Ravindarnath Rampaul

Please post anything and everything about the 1st ODI into this thread! :D

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread - 1st ODI - Zimbabwe vs West Indies

Bad news regarding the 1st ODI; there is a very real threat of it being rained out :(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml ... 0122&links

Heavy showers forecast for Friday in Harare.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

TV Coverage

Post by maehara »

Confirmed that this will be on Star Sports in Asia.
No coverage in UK or South Africa.
West Indies coverage TBC.

CricInfo are listing that they'll be providing live coverage, but I seriously doubt it'll be ball-by-ball...

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

...and Zimbabwe's pre-series rankings.
Some of the players featured aren't playing this time around, but I'd like to think everyone else should be looking to improve their position.

As for Zim's ODI ranking, we're probably too far behind Ireland to catch them this time around, but a win or two should begin closing the gap...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

West Indies have narrowed their squad for the 1st ODI down to 12:

West Indies XII: Chris Gayle (captain), Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Runako Morton, Marlon Samuels, Dwayne Bravo, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Devon Smith, Rawl Lewis, Jerome Taylor, Darren Sammy, Daren Powell, Ravi Rampaul.

auszimfan

Post by auszimfan »

That is a fairly weak West Indies squad, the Zim squad has been playing together for a while and should really take it up to the Windies. Zim batting should be deep, no need for Mpofu or Mupariwa with Brent, Chigumbura, Chibaba to get the pace bowling done and Price, Utseya and WIlliams the spin bowling. Masakadza can also roll out his mediums. The depth in the Zim batting should get them home with Utseya (coming off a man of the match unbeaten century in the 4 day game) to bat as low as number 10. GO ZIM!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

auszimfan wrote:That is a fairly weak West Indies squad, the Zim squad has been playing together for a while and should really take it up to the Windies. Zim batting should be deep, no need for Mpofu or Mupariwa with Brent, Chigumbura, Chibaba to get the pace bowling done and Price, Utseya and WIlliams the spin bowling. Masakadza can also roll out his mediums. The depth in the Zim batting should get them home with Utseya (coming off a man of the match unbeaten century in the 4 day game) to bat as low as number 10. GO ZIM!
Welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

I agree with most of what you said, although I think there is a place for Mpofu in the team - my concern is that someone like Chris Gayle could really take it to a bowler like Chibhabha.

There is the possibility that Zimbabwe will go with 2 pace (Brent/Chigumbura) and 3 spin (Williams, Utseya, Price) which could get us through the 50 overs relatively unscathed, providing the ball turns a bit. Other good news for Zimbabwe is that Price is under pressure to perform, because if he doesn't I think Maruma will come straight back into the team after, 7 or 8 wickets I think it was, in the South African Composite game.

Maraicha

Post by Maraicha »

I hope we win this game as the team owes the fans a good game. I see Sibanda and Taylor dominating the Windies bowlers in this game. If the middle and lower order can complement these two and the bowlers remain miserly or at least get early wickets, then we are sure to win game one and go from strength to strength after that.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Maraicha wrote:I hope we win this game as the team owes the fans a good game. I see Sibanda and Taylor dominating the Windies bowlers in this game. If the middle and lower order can complement these two and the bowlers remain miserly or at least get early wickets, then we are sure to win game one and go from strength to strength after that.
Hi Maraicha, welcome to the forum :)

Zimbabwe are in with a real chance this game. West Indies are fielding a weak team, and Zimbabwe are continually on the rise. Ray Price has done exceptionally well in England in domestic one day games, so I think he will be hard for the WI batsmen to deal with.

Sibanda and Taylor have done very well recently, regularly putting 50+ on for the first wicket. As long as Zimbabwe don't lose early wickets, or lose quick wickets in succession, I see them a real chance for a win today.

Maraicha

Post by Maraicha »

Thanks a lot for the forum. I will be keeping tabs on the game online as I dont think any network is showing the game here down under.Good luck to the team though.