Match Thread: Namibia v Zimbabwe Provinces (3-Day Match)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Match Thread: Namibia v Zimbabwe Provinces (3-Day Match)

Post by maehara »

Zimbabwe Squad:
Blessing Mahwire (captain), Regis Chakabva (wicket-keeper), Graeme Cremer, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Friday Kasteni, Admire Manyumwa, Tinotenda Mawoyo, Keegan Meth, Bonaparte Mujuru, Taurai Muzarabani, Stephen Nyamuzinga, Edward Rainsford and Prosper Tsvanhu.

Obviously, none of these players will be in the squad for the trip to Pakistan - but you should be able to work out the tour squad by process of elimination, if you're keen. :) Note the return of one Ed Rainsford...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Match Thread: Namibia v Zimbabwe Provinces (3-Day Match)

Post by eugene »

It is good to see Keegan Meth back in the mix. I hadn't heard anything of him recently and was concerned that he had moved on elsewhere. I think he has a bright future in the international game if he decides to stick with Zimbabwe.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

A shame that Cremer isn't in the Pakistan tour party, but not unexpected. Other than that, no real surprises. At least Brendan Taylor or Gary Brent aren't in the ZP squad, then we would have cause for concern.

My first eleven for this game:

1. Tino Mawoyo
2. Bonaparte Mujuru
3. Friday Kasteni
4. Regis Chakabva (wk)
5. Admire Manyumwa
6. Keegan Meth
7. Stephan Nyamuzinga
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Blessing Mahwire (c)
10. Prosper Tsvanhu
11. Edward Rainsford

12th man: Taurai Muzarabani

It is important to get match fitness into Rainsford, having been out of it for so long. The batting is a bit weak, although everyone can contribute. Obviously Mawoyo, Chakabva and Meth have roles to play (each of them need to get 50+, and ideally one of them will go on to score 100 if we are to put in a good show against the Namibian national team). The bowling isn't bad. Cremer, Mahwire and Rainsford are all good enough to break into the national team. Mahwire and Rainsford to take the new ball, Tsvanhu (which to be truthful I don't know too much about, other than he is a reasonably decent medium pacer) to be first change and Cremer for spin. Manyumwa, Nyamuzinga and Meth can all have a spell here and there if required.

I think this game is being played in Windhoek (please correct me if I'm wrong) so with a bit of luck we will see ball-by-ball on Cricinfo and some news throughout the game from Namibian media.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

does this mean duffin in the pakistan squad. good to see rainsford bak

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

andy24 wrote:does this mean duffin in the pakistan squad. good to see rainsford bak
I hadn't thought about that... he could well be in the touring party. If he is he will probably be played in the 4 day game and then dropped :?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

It is indeed great to see Ed Rainsford back. Him and Ireland were a very good pair not so long ago.

If Duffin is not in either of the squads, then it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

What happened to Gregory Strydom, who looked a good prospect? And Ryan Butterworth? Aren't they good enough to be in top 30? Don't tell me its racial policies again...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

CrimsonAvenger wrote:It is indeed great to see Ed Rainsford back. Him and Ireland were a very good pair not so long ago.

If Duffin is not in either of the squads, then it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

What happened to Gregory Strydom, who looked a good prospect? And Ryan Butterworth? Aren't they good enough to be in top 30? Don't tell me its racial policies again...
Butterworth was given a game and made 2 and a duck I think, which was disappointing to all of us. I think we were all expected double centuries :P

He probably deserves another bite at the cherry, I think he would slot in nicely in the middle order. Don't know what happened to Strydom, he is doing well at club cricket though (made a century in the National League B division final). I'd say politics is probably playing a part.

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

I think we should be able to win this series in Namibia, though we could have had a some other people like Buterworth, Duffin or Greg. I have seen Prosper Tsvanhu play before, i remember he attended Ellis Robins School in Harare, a good left arm pacer but he needs more exposure and the consistency.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Public Service Announcement: No live coverage of this match that I can find, unfortunately. CricInfo have a scorecard page up, but there'll be nothing there I suspect until after close of play.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Word on the street is that Namibia were bowled out for 10, Z.P. declared at 0/0, Namibia were bowled out for 25, and Z.P. scored the 36 required for victory. Game was over before lunch.

Hey, a rumour has to start somewhere :mrgreen: