Match Thread: Patrons XI v Zimbabweans (4-Day Match)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Match Thread: Patrons XI v Zimbabweans (4-Day Match)

Post by maehara »

Zimbabweans Squad:
Prosper Utseya (captain), Gary Brent, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Keith Dabengwa, Timycen Maruma, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa, Raymond Price, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams.

Unlikely that there's be updates on zimcricketnews for this one - I'm away from home for a few days, so unless I can track down an internet cafe I'll not be following it. I'll settle for hoping that the boys get off to a good start. :)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread: Patrons XI v Zimbabweans (4-Day Match)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

The biggest sign yet that Utseya will bat up the order:
“The more cricket we play the more experience we get. As for as the game is concerned we feel more confident if Taibu, Utseya and Williams get hundreds then we can turn the table in our way,” Brown said.
I think we should play this team:

1. Taylor
2. Sibanda
3. Taibu (wk)
4. Utseya (c)
5. Williams
6. Masakadza
7. Chigumbura
8. Price
9. Maruma
10. Brent
11. Mpofu

Such a balanced bowling attack.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Zimbabwe's practice session was delayed in the morning as their luggage had not arrived yet
Flying through Jo'burg again, I guess... :)

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Updated squads:
Patron's XI - Shahid Afridi (capt), Khalid Latif, Nasir Jamshed, Afaq Rahim, Naumanllah, Fawad Alam, Kamran Hussain, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Yasir Shah, Wahab Riaz, Sohail Khan, Samiullah Khan Niazi, Rizwan Ahmed, Rauf Akbar, Khurram Manzoor

Zimbabweans - Prosper Utseya (capt), Gary Brent, Chamu Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Keith Dabengwa, Timycen Maruma, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa, Ray Price, Vusi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu (wk), Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

We must use this game to get used to the conditions. A win should be nothing but expected here.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Bad news, Utseya has injured his ankle :cry:
KARACHI: Zimbabwe captain Prosper Utseya will have to miss his team’s four-day practice game against a Patron’s XI because of an ankle problem.

A Zimbabwe team official said on Sunday that Utseya arrived in Pakistan on Saturday carrying an ankle injury and will be rested ahead of the five-match One-day International (ODI) series getting underway in Karachi from January 21.

The official was confident that the 22-year-old off-spinner will get fully fit ahead of the one-day series against Pakistan. The Zimbabweans will go into the four-day match getting underway here at the Defence Stadium without much practice as they were unable to carry out ample nets sessions ahead of the warm-up game.

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

82/2 at lunch, taylor on 40. We should be looking for at least 300.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

brmtaylor.com wrote:Tour Match
Patrons XI vs Zimbabwe
Zim (7/200, Taylor 64, Taibu 46)
250 should be the target, at the very least. At least we've passed 200, that is quite important. And Taylor's 64, showing the selectors why he needs to be in the side. As for Masakadza opening, first ball duck. Newsflash selectors, he's not an opener. We already have two good openers, their names are Brendan Taylor and Vusi Sibanda.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

well bated taylor. i agree taylor bak opening.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

If you had to have a batsman in the team, and the choice was Keith Dabengwa or Don Bradman, who would you pick? It doesn't matter what your answer is because the ZC selectors would go with Dabengwa every time.

Today, he makes the team in place of Chamu Chibhabha. Last match he was taking a spot Brendan Taylor could have had. The match before, I think he was taking a spot Sean Williams could have had. ZC selection confuses me beyond belief sometimes.

With that out of the way, all out for 209 is pretty pathetic. Against these guys we should have made 300, which was the figure floated around a few times around here. Taylor and Taibu played well, Williams as usual made a good contribution. Even Sibanda and Chigumbura made starts. That is the problem though, everyone made starts. Even Cricinfo said Taylor got out playing a stupid shot - he should have gone on to make 100. 64 is good, but when you have scored that many runs, you are already settled and you should be anchoring the innings. Same applies to Taibu too.

So, on today's performance, pass marks to Taylor, Taibu and Williams. A FAIL to Masakadza who got out first ball, batting in a position which he should never have been thrown into. He may have the technique, but there are better options. Sibanda/Taylor, Duffin/Sibanda, Duffin/Taylor, Sibanda/Taibu , Taibu/Taylor are all better options that anyone/Masakadza.

You know things are not right when you get bowled out for 209 against the Pakistan 2nd? 3rd? XI. Let's put it down to acclimatising and hope to see 400+ in the second innings.

And another thing, why is Masakadza captain!?! Gary Brent is the vice captain is he not? Tatenda Taibu is a Test quality captain. Sean Williams has recently captained U19's. Such an odd decision.