England won`t play Zim as long as Chingoka is still in charg

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: England won`t play Zim as long as Chingoka is still in c

Post by Boundary »

clikcspeed wrote: As for Chingoka, right or wrong (believe me, I am the last person who should be saying this) I think he should take a bow and do what is best for the country - cricket wise. If he is the 'sole' reason why these countries won't tour then he should swallow his pride - for the greater good. Otherwise they (Eng, Oz, NZ) should bring up the reasons why they are not touring - politics aside, in June earlier this year, NZ said they are not touring for health reasons, and seriously that is not ON! India and Sri Lanka came and no one died! Shouldn't the ICC do a follow up on such things?
Funny enough I think you're right. I'm not a fan of Chingoka but there's something wrong about one country telling another who should be it's chairman. The ICC vice presidency debacle might be preying on their and Cricket Australia's minds but I'll wait to see CA reaction since relations were beginning to thaw. Whatever we might think of Chingoka and Bvute, they've made tremendous decisions over the past 2 years in the best interest of cricket. It would be in keeping with this if Chingoka calls England's bluff and steps down. He can legitimately stay on for sure, but he's been there since 1991/92 and he's redeemed himself over the past 2 years in my eyes. Voluntarily retiring would be a coup de grâce but would England find another excuse?

eugene

Post by eugene »

I dont think Chingoka is the real reason. Mugabe and ZANU-PF is. England will not set foot in Zimbabwe until the country has a somewhat democratically elected government which doesn't involve Mugabe or any of his cronies. New Zealand and Australia are probably in the same boat.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:England will not set foot in Zimbabwe until the country has a somewhat democratically elected government which doesn't involve Mugabe or any of his cronies.
A little bit of Devil's Advocate: did you know that the Zim GNU is basically the same sort of arrangement that UK government imposed on the Northern Ireland Executive (coalition of all parties)? If the UK government thinks that's a good enough arrangement for part of the UK, then why is it so unacceptable in Zim? (I know, I know, I don't really buy that argument myself, but still...)

England have never wanted to play us. They were the only ICC member to oppose Test status for Zimbabwe, they're the only nation still hanging on to talk of boycotts (even Coltart couldn't work his magic there, sadly), and if Chingoka and Mugabe were out of the way they'd be scrambling around looking for other reasons. For shame.

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

maehara wrote: England have never wanted to play us.
And that's exactly my gripe with them. At this point I really am not keen on an England match up, I'd rather we play SA, NZ and eventually Australia. England are now a good side but playing them seems more trouble than it's worth. In the meantime our captain is gaining County experience and hopefully we'll welcome more county experienced players and coaches back - that's more help from England than we can hope for.

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Boundary wrote:but playing them seems more trouble than it's worth.
I am tempted to say Eng can "Go hang" in the words of you know WHO! Eng;land wil probably find another reason not tour Zim. I just hope cricket can really become international and we dont have to be held hostage by these countries. :x
Boundary wrote: but he's been there since 1991/92 and he's redeemed himself over the
eugene wrote:Having him as patron of Zimbabwe Crick
past 2 years in my eyes. Voluntarily retiring would be a coup de grâce but would England find another excuse?
Thats the problem he thinks HE is ZImbabwe Cricket! I think he has over stayed his welcome and when you say that he has redeemed himself over the past two years, Good then now is an excellent time to leave while that last bit of good is still fresh in our minds and we remember him for that. Its almost 20years! Thats older than some of the guys knocking on the Zim door. I think the ZC constitution wil need an ammendment on how long the chair can stay two terms max,. There is a reason that most positions of power have a limitation.

eugene wrote:Having him as patron of Zimbabwe Cricket is rather embarrasing to say the least.
LOL maybe these countries think that by not coming to zim they are offending and dealing "massive blows" to the Patron, who really couldn't give a hoot, and is not bothered and I wonder when the last time he just graced an international match eg when Muttiah reached his 500 wkts it would have been fitting for the Patron to have presented him with the prize when he broke Walshs record. And he is only ceremonial in terms and if you try to change the Patronship it would become such a big political Hoo-haa.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

pariah

Post by pariah »

maehara wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:05 pm
eugene wrote:England will not set foot in Zimbabwe until the country has a somewhat democratically elected government which doesn't involve Mugabe or any of his cronies.
A little bit of Devil's Advocate: did you know that the Zim GNU is basically the same sort of arrangement that UK government imposed on the Northern Ireland Executive (coalition of all parties)? If the UK government thinks that's a good enough arrangement for part of the UK, then why is it so unacceptable in Zim? (I know, I know, I don't really buy that argument myself, but still...)

England have never wanted to play us. They were the only ICC member to oppose Test status for Zimbabwe, they're the only nation still hanging on to talk of boycotts (even Coltart couldn't work his magic there, sadly), and if Chingoka and Mugabe were out of the way they'd be scrambling around looking for other reasons. For shame.
Quoted for truth!

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: England won`t play Zim as long as Chingoka is still in charg

Post by maehara »

This has to be some sort of record for thread necromancy.
I stand by the point, though...

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

I vote to rename pariah the gravedigger. Holy crap though that's pretty spot on.

pariah

Post by pariah »

maehara wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 am
This has to be some sort of record for thread necromancy.
:lol:

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

For once hhm is pretty much completely correct. England have treated Zimbabwe with sneering contempt for far too long, it is disgraceful. Absolutely loved seeing Brandes rip them apart in both 1992 and 1997.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder