State of SA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: State of SA

Post by sloandog »

Stay on topic here, state of SA :D

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

How Sibonelo Makhanya still gets a central contract with Titans is beyond logic...he’s been awful for years. Phelukwayo loses the series for SA v Pak while hardly having played a game for the Dolphins in a year...at the same time Morris cracks IPL $2 million, whilst having not been picked for SA in years. Such a joke of a system.

There was an absolute gun bowler for the Cobras in the 50 over comp bowling at 145. Some 21 odd year old Burger or something? He was tearing it up, and suddenly gets dropped for the T20s and the likes of Tsepho Moreki steam in and get carted. I hate to watch it.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Nandre Burger Flakey

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:33 am
BCCI wantsto protect the primacy of the IPL over other leagues so Indian players aren't allowed to play in any other T20 league. At least thats what I remember reading somewhere years ago.
The more I find out about them, the more I am not a fan of BCCI and Indian cricket.

sorry sloan. Just remembered the question as we were talking about T20 SA comp.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:45 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:13 am

T20 leagues getting preference by the broadcasters as the general public likes to see that. I know people like us, we are cricket nerds who will watch any game and prefer tests and ODIs, but for a casual cricket viewer, sadly, T20s are the preferred format now.

I understand Aus-Nzl are playing T20s, but none of the channels have taken the broadcast rights of NZL home season in India because those are usually early morning games 3 30 a.m starts, even ODIs are like 6 30 a.m starts... So people don't get to watch much, unless they are willing to sacrifice their sleep for a neutral game.
I've been curious, is there a reason Indian players don't play in any other T20 leagues? It would obviously benefit that league big time in terms of broadcast rights. It would also benefit those Indian players in terms of playing in foreign conditions and against foreign players.

I was thinking about it this season when we (Brisbane) lost Banton. We got Denly as a replacement but he had to do a 14 day quarantine and fly in from England which meant his missed 4 matches I think. Whereas someone like Pandya was already here in Aus and could have slotted straight in to the team.

Was there a cricket league back home they had to get to or do Indian players just not play in any other league unless BCCI sanction it?
Indian players playing in any other league will reduce the importance of IPL. No Indian player can play in a foreign league unless BCCI gives an NOC. This is the primary reason.

The other point is that mainstream Indian players are usually playing throughout the year, so it is not quite feasible for them to play in other leagues considering the tight schedules.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Is it time we all stop caring about the IPL?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:37 pm
I don’t think anyone does outside of India. Like if Joe Root takes a fiver in the IPL will English fans give a shit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Of course don't forget the BCCI systematically destroyed the first T20 league outside of England - the ICL. ICL brought some big names in and even had international teams, but it couldn't outlast the BCCI.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
I havent bothered since season 1. Especially when they tried to do the Champions League but insisted that players had to play for their IPL sides over the domestic side. So Aus players for example could not play for the BBL side. No wonder the Champs League did not survive.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:37 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
I don’t think anyone does outside of India. Like if Joe Root takes a fiver in the IPL will English fans give a shit?
Good point.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*