2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: 2nd Test | Zimbabwe V/s Pakistan | Harare

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 am
I’m going against the grain here, but is this ‘excellent bunch of youngsters’ really any better than the mid rate guys of the recent past? The Sibandas, Matsi’s, Regis, Waller, Burl etc?

Or is it an illusion from them hitting the scene at once?

I know they are only young but I can’t see anything Marumani, shumba, Myers, musakanda are doing better
Than the past, more than they have just hit the scene at once.

Wes has shown a bit of ooomph, and should go well, but even so I’m getting a vibe more on a Hamilton Maskadza quality level. Which is Zimbabwe good but not good enough to be the pack leader.
Finally someone got what I was trying to say.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 am
I mean, I agree and disagree sort of. I think yes - the exciting part is that they are all coming together, in the same generation. That is what's exciting for me. It's not having one talented 23 year old, a talented 20 year old, a talented 18 year old and a talented 15 year old here. The fact that they are all from the same U19 batch is the exciting thing. Having the chance to build a team around a bunch of lads of similar age is quite exciting.

As for talent - I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Wes has more talent than any black Zimbo I've seen over the past 15 years, considering his age and his all round ability. Look at his U19 stats, and already some of his performances very early in his Zim career. I think he has the mental attributes too, which has been the downfall of a lot that have come before him. His bowling actually used to be his strongest suit so it's interesting that he's seen as more of a batsmen now at senior level. If his bowling kicks on as well then wow - what a cricketer he could be.

Marumani & Shumba I have watched quite a lot of times in person over the years. Like chalk and cheese really, total opposites. Shumba naturally times the ball better than anyone we've seen coming through the youth ranks for a while. Very classy, old fashioned sort of player. Marumani the opposite, always been a big hitter. Confidence player. Don't think he's as naturally gifted as some of the others mentioned here but has the perfect mindset for the shorter format and we've seen that - a 19 year old absolutely dominating the domestic T20 in his first season, and a good knock on debut Vs Pakistan.

Myers I've watched less of, but seems to be quite a commonly held view in the community that he is even better than the above. If he is, then that is exciting too.

I'm not gonna sit here and say these guys are going to dominate the world for years to come, but by Zim standards they are the best single generation we've had for a long while - in terms of kids who have stayed in the country and committed anyway.

But the big problem is, you can't sustain a team at our level with a single generation. This is the problem we've had for the past however long. Those middle generations haven't been great (again only thinking of players who have stayed and committed here). People like Tari, Kasuza, Burl. Time is still on their side and I still have faith, but there is a lack of depth and talent in those age ranges.

So we need the next crop of U19's to be as good as the last one, thats the crucial thing. We need to be producing talent like this consistently. I'm really confident in this generation, but what about the next? We need another 4 top quality lads in the next generation, and then another 4, and then another 4. Or more. Preferably some bowlers too!!

Emmy Bawa, Liam Mudenda, Tashinga Makoni, Mills, younger Welch, Bennet bros, Mudimu, Ali Khan, Kelvin Chibanda, Victor Chirwa, names to look out for in the next generation. :6:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am

Emmy Bawa, Liam Mudenda, Tashinga Makoni, Mills, younger Welch, Bennet bros, Mudimu, Ali Khan, Kelvin Chibanda, Victor Chirwa, names to look out for in the next generation. :6:
That's assuming they stay. Mudenda has already spoken of wanting to play County cricket.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:03 am
secretzimbo wrote:

That's assuming they stay. Mudenda has already spoken of wanting to play County cricket.
Of course we'll lose a couple - thats par for the course. Let's see how they go and hope we can find another 3 or 4 from this batch who are excellent and who commit.

Although, Mudenda's family is probably the most Zanu family of all time :lol: . I doubt his grandfather would want him to play for England! His relatives actually 'own' land neighbouring ours haha. Talented boy anyway! Hope he does well

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Kamunhukamwe is a weird one. Doesn’t look like he has the technique but 1 thing I noticed is that he somehow survives a lot of deliveries he shouldn’t. I want to try him for one more ODI. That might be his format

Nate646

Post by Nate646 »

secretzimbo wrote:

Although, Mudenda's family is probably the most Zanu family of all time :lol: . I doubt his grandfather would want him to play for England! His relatives actually 'own' land neighbouring ours haha. Talented boy anyway! Hope he does well
Yikes! Is it safe living next to them?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:05 am
Kamunhukamwe is a weird one. Doesn’t look like he has the technique but 1 thing I noticed is that he somehow survives a lot of deliveries he shouldn’t. I want to try him for one more ODI. That might be his format
Tbf, i think this kid has a better technique than most of our guys..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fZmGKZ ... NDYPONTING