Whose the best all-rounder in Zimbabwe cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Whose the best all-rounder in Zimbabwe cricket

Post by CalZim »

Will always be Heath streak but a more reasonable question would be best allrounder of the current crop?

Williams - great bat and tidy bowler but not a wicket taker.

Raza - can be a game changer with the bat, but not consistent, bowling much better than Williams but still not great.

Tirapano - a decent medium pacer, never been a game changer though and probably the weakest batsmen. Probably still classed as a bowler.

Madhevere - decent bat and looks good with the ball as well still inexperienced though which shows at times.

Myers - looks like he is going be a solid bat, military medium pace though which needs work. I’d prefer him focus on his batting.

Jongwe - can bat and sometimes looks good with the ball but is very inconsistent.

I’m sure I’m missing someone so apologies if I have.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CalZim wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:13 pm
Will always be Heath streak but a more reasonable question would be best allrounder of the current crop?

Raza - can be a game changer with the bat, but not consistent, bowling much better than Williams but still not great.

Tirapano - a decent medium pacer, never been a game changer though and probably the weakest batsmen. Probably still classed as a bowler.

Madhevere - decent bat and looks good with the ball as well still inexperienced though which shows at times.

Myers - looks like he is going be a solid bat, military medium pace though which needs work. I’d prefer him focus on his batting.

Jongwe - can bat and sometimes looks good with the ball but is very inconsistent.

Wes/Sean and Raza are all the same really. Just basic offies who put it roughly on the spot. No better or worse than any other offies who do the same from club onward. Unless you’re like a Swann/Lyon/Saqlain/Indian who can do a bit extra. They are all the same.

Wilkins does have the left handed variant though and has broken many deadlocks in the past.

Raza bowling has gone downhill since he decided he wants to be the David Blaine of Harare with us new action and conceal his mystery balls, taht are always just normal off spinners.
Two years ago he would give that shit a rip and I really rated him as a part time bowler and the best spinner in post Cremer times.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jward

Post by jward »

CalZim wrote:

I don't think any of these are quite good enough to earn a place on both batting and bowling alone - but hope the younger guys will become that good in time.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

All of the batsmen here look like 6th bowlers rather than 5th, which is what you need a batting all rounder to be. And the bowlers are guys who can occasionally chip in with some runs. Tiripano aside. He could have been a batsman who could chip in with wickets if we'd recognised his stickability earlier.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

jward wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 pm
CalZim wrote:

I don't think any of these are quite good enough to earn a place on both batting and bowling alone - but hope the younger guys will become that good in time.
Last time I saw top 10 all rounders in the GAME Sean W was ranked

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jward wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 pm
CalZim wrote:

I'd argue that pre 'illusionist' Raza was the best spinner in the country 2018-2020.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CalZim wrote:

Add Burl, Shumba & Kaia to the above and it is quite comical the number of 'all rounders' that we have. A big chunk of whom aren't good enough with at least one of their two disciplines.

"Hmm. I'm not very good at batting after all. I guess I'll develop some average off spin or medium pace dobblers so I have a better chance of stealing a living as an 'all rounder' for a few years in the national set up"

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:07 pm
CalZim wrote:

Add Burl, Shumba & Kaia to the above and it is quite comical the number of 'all rounders' that we have. A big chunk of whom aren't good enough with at least one of their two disciplines.

"Hmm. I'm not very good at batting after all. I guess I'll develop some average off spin or medium pace dobblers so I have a better chance of stealing a living as an 'all rounder' for a few years in the national set up"
I guarantee you or I could bowl those off spins to that level after a solid months coaching. They aren’t ‘all rounders’ they just put the ball gently on the spot.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:07 pm
CalZim wrote:

Burl is the guy I was missing, a decent one day batsmen/finisher, but his bowling is erratic, another player I wish just focused on his batting. A leg spinner that doesn’t turn the ball that much isn’t a bowler.

Kaia may be an allrounder but he is a first class player at best, I don’t rate him in the international set up.

Shumba is a batsmen who needs to forget about bowling. Has potential to be an opener if he works on his temperament and technique.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

I think Shumba could be a Vusi for the 2020s. I think he could be a partnership breaker with the ball, but that's enough.
Burl actually looks like he could step up a level in bowling. He is capable of drift into the batsman. And with his batting coming back he.can be a cog going forward