Nick welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Nick welch

Post by Donald »

Signed for his county side until end of 2022 season ( September 2022)

Can we entice him back if we throw some money at him?

BT gone now so maybe we have a few extra enticing contracts to give out

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Nick welch

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Donald wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:40 pm
Signed for his county side until end of 2022 season ( September 2022)

Can we entice him back if we throw some money at him?

BT gone now so maybe we have a few extra enticing contracts to give out
In my opinion yes. If the offer is good.
But if he nails it next year he will aim for England.

This is actually another ZC incompetent joke.
He was playing Logan cup at 16 and NEVER wanted to leave Zimbabwe but didn’t get selected for any of the under 19 teams so went to England reluctantly to prove a point.

To add insult to injury, it was his younger brother that made way to that Ahmed Ebrahim fraud who *allegedly* had his rich dad bribe him into the WC squad last year, and by allegedly, I mean pretty obviously did considering he batted at 10 and didn’t bowl.
But you can understand how the Welch family must be feeling considering they are Zim to the bone.

Btw- the Ebrahim fraud is hearsay, became a running joke around Harare back in the day and I don’t know the Welch family personally but I know the insults were felt as all of them wanted to be Zimbabwean test cricketers
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

I was thinking the exact same thing and was thinking about writing a post myself about it :lol: .

As mentioned in this thread earlier Nick Welch was, and hopefully still is, very patriotic and wants to play for Zim. So with the extra money lying around why not throw it at Welch. He's looked good enough in England, he will need a bit more development, but he's definitely the player to take on this Brendan Taylor void that we now have.

I also do think other abroad players could be enticed back. I think Dane Schadendorf once he's got a bit more development under his belt could be enticed back to Zim. Although I personally think Byrom, Melton and Higgins are a bit far fetched, with Byrom being the most likely of the three.

Also looking closer to home. Madhevere and Shumba are looking like the next big things out of Zimbabwe, Myers isn't too far behind with Marumani lagging a bit further behind. If the rumours are true about Murray playing in the Logan Cup this year I'll be interested to see how he gets along.

Hopefully, with Williams, Raza, Ervine still having a few more years in them and then slightly younger players like Burl and Muzarabani kicking around throwing Welch into this team would definitely do good and not stunt the young man's development.

The BIG issue is will ZCB actually do any of this? I have no clue my heart tells me maybe but my gut tells me no (I do believe though we will see Nick in a Zim shirt one day)

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

ZC should also try for Gary Ballance. Don't think he has now any chance for England as english middle order has got many probables in form of Crawley, Pope, Lawrence, Malan with Haines, Carlson waiting to get call after brilliant county season

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 am
ZC should also try for Gary Ballance. Don't think he has now any chance for England as english middle order has got many probables in form of Crawley, Pope, Lawrence, Malan with Haines, Carlson waiting to get call after brilliant county season
No no no no no

Why would you bring back a guy that old? Pointless
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:26 am
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 am
No no no no no

Why would you bring back a guy that old? Pointless

He is just 31 can well serve Zimbabwe for 5/6 years, has missed two county season but still he has got some fire left in international cricket. Chance of getting youths is less as they will look forward as England probables whereas players like Ballance or Cartwright has little or no chance for representing England or Australia. It will be the hardest nut to crack to make those youths think for Zimbabwe

At present with BT, Hami, Jarvis retired and with Ervine, Raza Williams uncertain career any ex Zimbo in 31 or 32 addition can be beneficial for Zim.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Wow is Gary balance only 31. I had a look he is almost 32. Technically Zim could get 3 years out of him and he would replace BT in the test squad and be an ok odi player. How is his fitness? But I wouldn't be paying him BT money as he hasn't proven himself as an odi player yet although his list A stats are great. I'm sure he would destroy the Irish bowlers etc. He could be a good stop gap and players like Wes could learn off him as they still need a senior player to learn off. He would be good actually.

I don't really see whats in it for Ballance though as he can probably milk a few more county years compared with the uncertainty and drama of playing for Zim. The money would have to be more than what he currently gets.

If Cartwright lost his bbl contract, he may be desperate but some of these guys/families may be unwilling for many reasons.

Say Ryan Higgins played for Zim would he be able to play county If he got dropped etc or would playing for Zim unqualify him from county?

Googly

Post by Googly »

The stop gap mentality is all wrong. That's what ZC have pinned their hopes on, sold partly to them by Ratshit.
What if Madhevere is not the next Kohli? 🤣
He's played two tests, 9 ODI's and 18 T20's. They'll play the - we've got some young players and they need a couple of decades for as long as possible, but at some point someone has to have a reality check. He's got potential for sure, but in the real world, not ZC fantasy land, the time is fast approaching where he needs to deliver. If he can't make runs against Ireland and Scotland he's not going to. Again I'm not knocking those teams, they've got some really good players, but the other member nations are next level. They're up and coming and we're down and going.

Gary Ballance can play all formats with aplomb, he's an unbelievably good player. It hurts to hear but we don't have a current player that will ever be as good as Ballance. His county record is awesome and he should still be in that England set up, he's world class. Not in two lifetimes will Madhevere be as good as Ballance.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Does any of Ballance`s family still live in Zim? Or have they completely left

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

To my knowledge his family lives in Zim.