Zim v Sco 2nd T20I

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zim v Sco 2nd T20I

Post by CholeZimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:21 pm
I think Ngarava with the right coaching can become more deadly than Blessing. He has a lot of venom in him. There was 1 ball I saw on Wednesday which almost fizzed past Regis' head.. it was lethal. We need guys like that bowling vicious bouncers to the kids regularly
Even his action is pleasing to watch. He now really knows his best line and length, also consistently not giveaway that odd boundary delivery every over.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I don't think Innocent Kaia has been discussed enough.

Wtf was that selection.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Ngarava and other Zim pacers need a clever bowler like Philander fine tuning their skills.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm

Wtf was that selection.
Crazy, guess he was at the right place at the right time. I follow him and I saw he went to the UK a few months to play what looked like club cricket. Guess he happened to be at the ground and they gave him a game. I have not seen much of him though. Could be some solution, who knows. Guess he will get another game on Sunday.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:17 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

Wtf was that selection.
Crazy, guess he was at the right place at the right time. I follow him and I saw he went to the UK a few months to play what looked like club cricket. Guess he happened to be at the ground and they gave him a game. I have not seen much of him though. Could be some solution, who knows. Guess he will get another game on Sunday.
Solid Logan Cup player who had a pretty good last season, like his brother. But I suspect he isn't good enough at international level. He's a better red-ball cricketer anyway so its odd that he's in the T20 side.

Myers is injured and clearly they wanted Marumani dropped so maybe they had no other option. I think K-long is still on tour but doesn't look like he's going to get a game.

If you had asked me this morning if Innocent Kaia was going to make his international debut today I would have given you odds of 100,000 to 1.

jward

Post by jward »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:17 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:17 pm
secretzimbo wrote:

Wtf was that selection.
Solid Logan Cup player who had a pretty good last season, like his brother. But I suspect he isn't good enough at international level. He's a better red-ball cricketer anyway so its odd that he's in the T20 side.

Myers is injured and clearly they wanted Marumani dropped so maybe they had no other option. I think K-long is still on tour but doesn't look like he's going to get a game.

If you had asked me this morning if Innocent Kaia was going to make his international debut today I would have given you odds of 100,000 to 1.
At his best, Innocent looks real class, especially playing his brilliant back-foot drives through extra cover. But he doesn't seem hungry enough for runs, out cheaply far too often.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

If we were going to pluck a random guy playing club cricket in the UK, Tony Munyonga would have been a better option, probably? That guy deserves a few more opportunities, hopefully he comes back and makes some noise in the domestic circuit this time around.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 pm
Ngarava and other Zim pacers need a clever bowler like Philander fine tuning their skills.
Zimbabwe really are developing a fine bowling attack in Jongwe, Wellington, Muzarabani and Ngarava. That 5th bowler however is a little bit of a problem. Reckon Madhevere should be used more but for some reason he doesnt bowl that much.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:51 am
CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 pm
Zimbabwe really are developing a fine bowling attack in Jongwe, Wellington, Muzarabani and Ngarava. That 5th bowler however is a little bit of a problem. Reckon Madhevere should be used more but for some reason he doesnt bowl that much.
That’s true. What I like about these guys is how they are getting more consistent, they are not finished articles yet but they have shown real talent that we have not seen in a while. A team like us should play smart cricket due to our limitations. If we have seen that we struggle to take wickets, we should play this ‘choke the opposition for runs’ brand of cricket. This requires tight lines and variations from our bowlers, and very very tight ground fielding. This almost always results in pressure on the batting side and they will try and hit out at good ones where we get leading edges and stuff and our fielders have to be very good. This is how we have won these low scoring games quite often now.

However batting is a more technical with little margin for error and that is where work needs to be done. We all know Matsi as a batsman and how much talent he had but never constructed big innings and it is sad that he is the coach. You can already see a Matsi in Wes these last few games. Play glorious shots, then play a stupid shot and get caught inside the circle and get out for 20 odd. This really is the time to get a proper coach to teach these kids how to build big innings and get par scores on all pitches. We need opening batsmen that understand that their role is not always to get off to a flyer on every pitch. Some will need us to be 65-0 after 6 overs some will require us to be 36-0 in that powerplay. It seems the batting coach just says to them, guys it’s a t20 game be positive, give us a good start blah blah. A good batting coach will assess conditions, the pitch, the shape and size of the ground, historical par scores etc and then devise a plan for the opening pair and I’m sorry but I don’t think Matsi is the guy for this.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Also, I think for now Ryan Burl should focus more on his batting. That number 5 position will be available soon across formats and that should be his target and should be learning from Sean Williams. Leg spin is a difficult craft and he should be a part timer there. This all rounder expectation will ruin his career, he must bat up the order take his time and if the top order has also done what it should do, his role will be quick fire 60s and 70s in the middle to end overs. Below is my ODI XI.

Shumba (smart cricketer who knows which balls to play and not)
Chakabva (beginning to doubt him but has shown signs)
Ervine (Eventually Myers will have to bat here)
Madhevere
Williams (Burl should be groomed to play here in future)
Raza (This is where Marumani should bat in future)
Burl (On a good batting track Jongwe can bat here and we can include Chatara as an extra pacer)
Jongwe
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Ngarava