Post Big 4 era

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Post Big 4 era

Post by CholeZimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:51 am
CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 am
We were the bottom team at that time as well, so it was only a matter of time the teams starting out at that time eventually caught up with us.
So your assumption was that we were as bad as we are now?

No chance. We were on the way up. We were definitely making progress. Beating some very good sides and pushing sides ranked 1 in the world very close, to the point where we would have developed to be beating them regularly.

Other sides may have caught up a bit, but not on the level that they have. We would definitely not be struggling against UAE, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands etc
Fair point. If we had continued on that good trajectory where do you think we would be relative to these associates and relative to the teams that were above us

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:04 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 am
We were the bottom team at that time as well, so it was only a matter of time the teams starting out at that time eventually caught up with us.

No chance. We were on the way up. We were definitely making progress. Beating some very good sides and pushing sides ranked 1 in the world very close, to the point where we would have developed to be beating them regularly.

Other sides may have caught up a bit, but not on the level that they have. We would definitely not be struggling against UAE, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands etc
Fair point. If we had continued on that good trajectory where do you think we would be relative to these associates and relative to the teams that were above us
I know you didn’t direct that at me but chipping in anyway. I think we would be roughly West Indies level and above Sri Lanka. Around the 6 mark in current terms.
The fab 4 were and are pretty good so the decline on a national level hasn’t been felt as hard as it could be.
But you could calculate it if you brought 90% of the diaspora back and figured out how they would go on the international stage. Then add in one or two players we never knew about who were jaded at age 13 or never picked up the game because they never liked watching us.
I think we would be at the 1999 level, but swap those two token blacks in the team at the time with 3 or so good blacks like Blessing.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:58 am
CholeZimbo wrote:
zimbos_05 wrote:

I know you didn’t direct that at me but chipping in anyway. I think we would be roughly West Indies level and above Sri Lanka. Around the 6 mark in current terms.
The fab 4 were and are pretty good so the decline on a national level hasn’t been felt as hard as it could be.
But you could calculate it if you brought 90% of the diaspora back and figured out how they would go on the international stage. Then add in one or two players we never knew about who were jaded at age 13 or never picked up the game because they never liked watching us.
I think we would be at the 1999 level, but swap those two token blacks in the team at the time with 3 or so good blacks like Blessing.
And also we wouldn't have lost as many games we lost since 2004. And I think if Ireland and Scotland continue in their trajectories, they will be the ones occupying those positions around the West Indies in 10 years time.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:
zimbos_05 wrote:

And here's the problem that inbreds like you have... Your capacity to think like an intelligent person is sorely lacking. You think the team will only be good when it's mostly white players and consider blacks only as "token" players 😂... Wake up bud, it's not the nineties anymore and the vast majority of kids playing cricket in Zim now are black, it's never going back there whether you like it not

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

Jayb wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:14 am
Xlife wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm
There are some overly pessimistic views on this thread. Probably the same people that have been predicting doom and gloom for Zimbabwe Cricket since 2004, yet it's still here...

The youngsters are really young (19/20) and already are putting in performances on a similar level to the "big 4" (who are over 35). Where do you think these guys will be in 5, 10, 15 years time with experience and good coaching? They can potentially be even better than the current mediocre lot and isn't that what we all want?
This fucken ZC chrony is back at it. Good coaching? Rajput? the blokes more interested in sucking off Mkhulini and blowing smoke up his arse than actually coaching the team. Matsi seems like a decent bloke, but quality international coach he is not. Comparing the four youngsters who didn't light up domestic cricket or Under 19 cricket to four blokes who are proper quality international cricketers is misguided. I hope they are decent quality international players, but there's no BT there. There's no Williams there. And if you think our current crop of coaches are going to turn them into international batsmen with averages over 30+ your once again letting your rose coloured glasses get in the way of reality.

What we all want? Don't act like you want the same thing as proper ZC fans. What you want is Mkhulini to shit on your face why you call him Daddy.
Proper ZC fans want change from board level down starting with the board resigning and being replaced with people who actually know something about administrating cricket. Not people who are trying to use ZC as their own personal cash cow. Anyone who has a brain on here could spend hours highlighting all of the gross missteps this board has made and you know this. You're a ZC propaganda merchant and you won't pull the wool over anyones eyes with your bullshit.
This post is barely worth a response so I'll just say this: I am the furthest thing from a ZC shill there is but, I am also a realist and a practical person.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Xlife wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:58 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:

And here's the problem that inbreds like you have... Your capacity to think like an intelligent person is sorely lacking. You think the team will only be good when it's mostly white players and consider blacks only as "token" players 😂... Wake up bud, it's not the nineties anymore and the vast majority of kids playing cricket in Zim now are black, it's never going back there whether you like it not
Lol shut up you fucking race baiting prick.
I was on your side until that bull shit post.
Last edited by ZIMDOGGY on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Xlife wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am
This post is barely worth a response so I'll just say this: I am the furthest thing from a ZC shill there is but, I am also a realist and a practical person.
Don’t worry he’s just trying to impress to get 5 bucks and a Mars bar from Mukhulani.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:

Thats pretty clearly not what he was fucking saying. If anything he was complimenting the progress of black players and saying nowadays they are actually 'good' rather than back in the day when they WERE token.

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:20 am
Xlife wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Thats pretty clearly not what he was fucking saying. If anything he was complimenting the progress of black players and saying nowadays they are actually 'good' rather than back in the day when they WERE token.
Don't be dumb please... he's implying that a good Zim team would have only 3 or so black players yet in reality, it's more likely the other way round

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:29 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:20 am
Xlife wrote:

Don't be dumb please... he's implying that a good Zim team would have only 3 or so black players yet in reality, it's more likely the other way round
If the entire 100% diaspora around the world was available? You're deluded if you think more than 2 would be black at the current time. It's a fact. It's not racist.