Logan Cup 21-24 Oct | Rhinos V Eagles | Rocks V Tuskers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup 21-24 Oct | Rhinos V Eagles | Rocks V Tuskers

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:49 pm
Mumba really is fighting for that number 8 spot. Its going to be an interesting season when it comes to that position. Something tells me Tiripano is in trouble. Evans, Jongwe and Mumba can play in his position.

With BT gone and Myers still not having made made appearance, Burl will probably move up to number 7. The number 9 will need to help out because Jongwe is still a bit inconsistent. Wellington is consistent but Williams can do his job. On the right pitch Evans and Mumba will come into play.
On this number 8 debate I do think really we need to have confidence in our top 6 as batters. If you are batting number 8 then realistically you need to be in the team for your bowling. If you can bat, then its a great and important bonus in that position. But your bowling needs to be excellent, especially if we are only playing 3 seamers.

Whilst Mumba's batting has clearly improved a lot, which is great; has his bowling? He seems to have lost a bit of pace over the past couple of years which is concerning. If he can get some consistency and start taking bag fulls of wickets this season then I'd have him in the team for sure.

At the moment though Jongwe has proven he can contribute very well with the ball at international level and it's going to be tough for Evans or Mumba to displace him. It's good to have this competition for places though.

Tiripano way way way way down the list and we really need to move on from him now.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Tiripano averages 20 with the bat in Tests and even when he's not scoring heavily, he can hold his end up. Can't see Jongwe average 20 if he's batting down at 8, and he's even less likely to just block ball after ball. In terms of bowling, they are both about the same. I would much rather see Mumba (genuine bowling talent) take that spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:29 pm
Tiripano averages 20 with the bat in Tests and even when he's not scoring heavily, he can hold his end up. Can't see Jongwe average 20 if he's batting down at 8, and he's even less likely to just block ball after ball. In terms of bowling, they are both about the same. I would much rather see Mumba (genuine bowling talent) take that spot.
:o

I'm starting to think you might be trolling me lol :lol: Except I know you're being serious somehow :lol:

It's pretty whack to suggest Tiripano and Jongwe are of the same standard, unless you haven't watched Tiripano bowl for the past three years? How outdated can you get, old geezer?

Most members on this forum could probably bowl with more pace and accuracy than DT nowadays. :lol: Medium pace trundler well past his best. Jongwe is a very very good bowler and has had an excellent year since returning to the national picture. Makes things happen when you need it. As we've seen time and time again this year. Actually has a better FC career batting average than DT anyway haha.

As I've said, very happy to have Mumba back in the conversation - especially as a Jameson boy (my alma mata) - but his pace has clearly dropped - concerning considering he is only 26, and he hasn't exactly taken a tonne of wickets in the past two years either.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:10 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Mumba really is fighting for that number 8 spot. Its going to be an interesting season when it comes to that position. Something tells me Tiripano is in trouble. Evans, Jongwe and Mumba can play in his position.

With BT gone and Myers still not having made made appearance, Burl will probably move up to number 7. The number 9 will need to help out because Jongwe is still a bit inconsistent. Wellington is consistent but Williams can do his job. On the right pitch Evans and Mumba will come into play.
On this number 8 debate I do think really we need to have confidence in our top 6 as batters. If you are batting number 8 then realistically you need to be in the team for your bowling. If you can bat, then its a great and important bonus in that position. But your bowling needs to be excellent, especially if we are only playing 3 seamers.

Whilst Mumba's batting has clearly improved a lot, which is great; has his bowling? He seems to have lost a bit of pace over the past couple of years which is concerning. If he can get some consistency and start taking bag fulls of wickets this season then I'd have him in the team for sure.

At the moment though Jongwe has proven he can contribute very well with the ball at international level and it's going to be tough for Evans or Mumba to displace him. It's good to have this competition for places though.

Tiripano way way way way down the list and we really need to move on from him now.
White ball cricket has become the default version in international cricket, hence the "longer" your batting line-up, the better. Most games go to the 10 runs to win off 6 balls scenario, so you need guys who can bat down the order. Jongwe appears to be a bowler who uses variation, which is a plus, but if he cant be counted on to smash a few boundaries at the tail-end of the innings, then he's not of much use. We can only afford Muzarabani and Ngarava as non-batting seamers in the team. 6-9 have to be handy with bat AND ball. If Mumba and Evans settle into pace all-rounders, both Jongwe and Tiripano are out of luck

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I know the senior players really value Tiripano's contributions and they might not be happy with his exclusion but it's time to move on if we are serious about building a team for the future.

A simple example is how Chivanga would have greatly benefited from that European tour but we had Tiripano there instead who really didn't contribute much.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Tinah09 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:37 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:10 pm
TapsC2 wrote:

White ball cricket has become the default version in international cricket, hence the "longer" your batting line-up, the better. Most games go to the 10 runs to win off 6 balls scenario, so you need guys who can bat down the order. Jongwe appears to be a bowler who uses variation, which is a plus, but if he cant be counted on to smash a few boundaries at the tail-end of the innings, then he's not of much use. We can only afford Muzarabani and Ngarava as non-batting seamers in the team. 6-9 have to be handy with bat AND ball. If Mumba and Evans settle into pace all-rounders, both Jongwe and Tiripano are out of luck
Jongwe is not the worst with the bat, maybe he just hasn't shown it yet.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Carl mumba is in the wickets early doors.

Hope he gets the twitter keyboard warrior next :D

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:37 am
Carl mumba is in the wickets early doors.

Hope he gets the twitter keyboard warrior next :D
Haha Richmond getting runs is bad enough. Imagine if Chamu got a tonne 😩

Yvmnaidu
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Yvmnaidu »

Failures scoring runs. they get opportunites again mutambami and roykaia. except eagles remaining team bowling department is so weak

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Thought the matching kits of last week were too good to be true.

Mutumbami celebrating his 150 this morning wearing an old Zim A shirt from the SA Emerging series earlier this year.