Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Post by Donald »

Houghton had made some positive changes. He's got Chatara to hold a bat 😂😂 and good positioning of Wellington at 3

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

What a wonderful match

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I think Houghton is looking at our future with Wellington. With Willams probably retiring in the next 12 to 18 months we will need a left arm spinner. Burl will probably eventually bat at 6 and Jongwe at 7. For me Shumba should focus on his batting for now. We will need a new number 8.

Wellington might fit in there but he will need to start taking more responsibility with the bat and number 3 is as responsible as it gets. I don't even think Tiripano has batted that high in the domestic games. Getting a 50 at 3 is huge for Wellington. I think PJ must have been injured for him to bat at 11. Wellington took the opportunity and did well

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I'm not sure Wellington batting at 3 is a good idea whichever way it is spun, but sure.

I believe PJ was feeling unwell on the field so thats why he batted at 11.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Yeah, having a part-timer batting at 3 is a recipe for disaster. You kinda want your top5 to be batsmen,give or take 2 batting-allrounders all capable of building an innings and able to get 100s occasionally if not frequently. Wellington is not that guy. If he can give us a 30-40 run-a-ball cameo down the order, that would be a massive contribution ( given that's all we ever got from Chibhabha for over a decade

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Not saying I want Wellington to bat in the top 6 for the national team. I just feel like our domestic structure is not strong enough so if you want your number 7,8 and 9 to score runs internationally they actually have to bat in the top 6 for their domestic teams. Just like if you want Burl to take wickets for the national team he has to be a front line bowler for his domestic team. 3 was probably a stretch even if he scored runs but I think he has to bat in the top 6 domestically.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:17 am
Not saying I want Wellington to bat in the top 6 for the national team. I just feel like our domestic structure is not strong enough so if you want your number 7,8 and 9 to score runs internationally they actually have to bat in the top 6 for their domestic teams. Just like if you want Burl to take wickets for the national team he has to be a front line bowler for his domestic team. 3 was probably a stretch even if he scored runs but I think he has to bat in the top 6 domestically.
Good point!! Now I get it, I agree

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Ryan Burl is in shocking form.

From 5 Pro50 matches, batting at 3/4; 38 runs at an average of 7.60.

And bowling, 4 wickets at an average of 53.

As a guy who should be starting to step up as a senior player of the national setup this is very disappointing. Probably wouldn't be selected if we were having that Afghanistan series right now.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:17 am
How is batting position going to affect run scoring ability? if you mean it gives guys an opportunity to work on their game, sure. But just changing batting position domestically won't actually change the runs scored internationally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

How is batting position going to affect run scoring ability? if you mean it gives guys an opportunity to work on their game, sure. But just changing batting position domestically won't actually change the runs scored internationally.

One thing over the years I have observed is if you are not batting in the top 3 domestically, you won't cut it internationally in those positions.
A number 6 domestically can't be expected to succeed as number 3 internationally. If nothing else, it's a whole different mindset.
I have seen posts calling for Burl to open in the past. Maybe in white ball cricket you'll get away with it. Not red ball stuff.