Zimbabwe vs scotland under 19s First plate match

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
lobsang

Re: Zimbabwe vs scotland under 19s First plate match

Post by lobsang »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 pm
That's what I don't like about people's approach to this. You cant judge a guy on one poor tournament. No-ones judging Bawa, but people are discounting Saul. Trust me this lad can bat.
I am not very convinced. Watched like him bat 3 times. Yes Brian Bennett can become a very reliable batting all-rounder. Heard that they, the Bennetts, are going to give a go?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Taruvinga and Makoni have been disappointing. Taruvinga looked completely out of his depth opening, I hope they don't try that again. If they wanted to gamble they could open with Welch and BB. Bennet has just the right attitude for opening, but I wouldn't mess with his position, he's been brilliant. You have to stick with Saul.

Googly

Post by Googly »

lobsang wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:24 pm
Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 pm
That's what I don't like about people's approach to this. You cant judge a guy on one poor tournament. No-ones judging Bawa, but people are discounting Saul. Trust me this lad can bat.
I am not very convinced. Watched like him bat 3 times. Yes Brian Bennett can become a very reliable batting all-rounder. Heard that they, the Bennetts, are going to give a go?
Apparently going to an academy in SA. Can only do them good. It would be interesting if Zc offered BB a 2 year rookie franchise deal. That would be a big decision.

Donald

Post by Donald »

In fairness to the coaches taruvinga has been kept out of the afghanistan and pakistan matches as they needed some slightly older heads and better batters. I guess this is more of a learning tour for him and he may come good in 2024 and 2026 when he will still be eligible I believe still being 15 years young

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well there are no dead rubbers yet. You put the best 11 on the field unless there's something afoot.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 pm
In fairness to the coaches taruvinga has been kept out of the afghanistan and pakistan matches as they needed some slightly older heads and better batters. I guess this is more of a learning tour for him and he may come good in 2024 and 2026 when he will still be eligible I believe still being 15 years young
Turned 16 last weekend so not eligible for 2026. Should be a key man in 2024 and he has his admirers. Looked awful today though!

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:34 pm
Apparently going to an academy in SA. Can only do them good. It would be interesting if Zc offered BB a 2 year rookie franchise deal. That would be a big decision.
At least they are staying in the game and aren't going too far away from Zim. Leaves the door open for the future hopefully.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Taruvinga really did look poor but maybe it was nerves.

He's at the same school in SA that Wes went to. Coach Reggie M reckons he's a top prospect, and he doesn't often get it wrong.

Donald

Post by Donald »

So it sounds like maybe Wolhulter and Saul out of the batters and Dube and Falaou may be instantly available for franchises or higher zim honours

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

Donald wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 pm
So it sounds like maybe Wolhulter and Saul out of the batters and Dube and Falaou may be instantly available for franchises or higher zim honours
There needs to be a more distinct path from U19 to Senior though because both Wolhurter and Saul are great prospects but probably aren't ready for senior cricket yet. They need some more development and the current system in Zim probably won't offer that

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

ZimCricket, by ZimCricket I mean Dave Houghton, must do everything possible to retain at least half of this team. Obviously cricket talent runs in families, so the Bennet brothers, the Welch brothers (where’s the older Welch these days?), that’s already 1/3 of a competitive team in 5 or so years time. Bawa, Saul and Mitchel haven’t really risen to the Occassion (a ton vs PNG is okay, but come on?), but they are young and can improve. Falao and Dube will benefit bowling with Blessing, I would’nt write Chirwa off, he can be coached to tweak his illegal action, Mararanyika and the slew of part-time spinners make for a highly promising team!!