English Domestic Season 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: English Domestic Season 2022

Post by Googly »

Muyeye had some opportunities at Kent, but they batted him too high up, and he didn't do great. He's back in Two's.
First round of T20 next week, maybe he will get another shot? If he doesn't fire in his second spell of opportunity he's going to start feeling real pressure.
Welch's lack of opportunities at Leicestershire are inexplicable. There has to be something going on behind the scenes. Leicestershire have been useless for years, haven't had one good player come through their academy except for Rihan Ahmed and have had opportunity to sign good experienced players and yet sign inexperienced guys who've lost their contracts at other counties and continue to not do well and Welch sits on the bench. He's played one innings in nearly 2 years, must be a county record.
Byrom is injured. Was on the Two's team list last week, but didn't play? Maybe the injury recurred?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/pre ... _soul.html

Jeez... what a story.. I don't even know what to say.. I hope he keeps his head up and maybe Houghton can convince him to give it a go here but I highly doubt it. It can go really well or it will be a terrible experience. For the team I think a lineup with Melton, Evans, Blessing and Ngarava would actually be a bit fierce but for his own mental health this place is a bit tricky if you not a star player.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The truth is ZC has enough resources to bring at least 5 of these guys back on even more than they earn in England. They just don't have the will power yet. I have a feeling the alarm bells will ring very soon. If not I also have a feeling the SRC have a surprise waiting for Mukuhlani and co at the next election, that story is far from over. That might be the one thing we should all be praying for and everybody here has seen the progress rugby is making with competent people in charge. It's only a matter of time before something dramatic happens.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:31 am
The truth is ZC has enough resources to bring at least 5 of these guys back on even more than they earn in England. They just don't have the will power yet. I have a feeling the alarm bells will ring very soon. If not I also have a feeling the SRC have a surprise waiting for Mukuhlani and co at the next election, that story is far from over. That might be the one thing we should all be praying for and everybody here has seen the progress rugby is making with competent people in charge. It's only a matter of time before something dramatic happens.
Hopefully. But every time something like that happens it sets us back again. I’ve been enjoying the relative calm lately and lack of infighting.

Last time was unbearable, and it didn’t even work.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 am
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/pre ... _soul.html

Jeez... what a story.. I don't even know what to say.. I hope he keeps his head up and maybe Houghton can convince him to give it a go here but I highly doubt it. It can go really well or it will be a terrible experience. For the team I think a lineup with Melton, Evans, Blessing and Ngarava would actually be a bit fierce but for his own mental health this place is a bit tricky if you not a star player.
Ya it's hectic. I knew the story and his background well, but not my place to divulge.
He's a young man carrying a heavy load. All these people who think it's easy that side have got no idea.

Nick Welch has a similar story of hardship less the tragic family history- not being eligible, having no money, living from hand to mouth with odd jobs and coaching and trawling the Two's circuit trying to prove himself and then getting signed and being denied opportunity. Not once ever being invited to a County practice, relied on the warm up net before the game :lol: He's watched guys he was as good as at school with thousands of FC runs under their belts and he's had one innings :lol: He's an angry guy as well. Lost all his teeth and continued playing that game, has played with broken fingers and toes, broke his thumb, dislocated his knee, walked miles to games more often than not on short notice as money was an issue. I know the one story of a captain knowing he'd bust his toe and getting him to run from sweeper to sweeper for a day and a half, never mind the batting side of it. The poms dont like us. :lol:
There was an issue recently where the seamer was repeatedly calling him a job stealer and i think he served a ban for his really angry reaction :lol: The guy was free to say what he liked but the umpires didn't feel the reaction was warranted :lol:
He's had to play knowing anything on the pads is out. :lol: These issues should be solved with violence, but there you have to smile and wave. Lesser people would throw in the towel after a month. These two lads are still fighting after years :lol:

Dusty would be right up for an opportunity here now. Leaking that story is an act of desperation and who knows what reaction will occur. It may actually backfire on him, he's taken a gamble but there's nothing to lose at this stage.
He's faster and angrier than anyone here, Chivanga included :lol: but ZC seem comfortable with our seamers, after all we don't need 3 good ones per franchise team, we only need 4 in total.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Wow that was a hell of a read. I know he's had it tough and I knew about the tragedy with his birth-mother last year but that interview really is something else.

If he's really determined to make it then maybe he could give it a go here, sounds like he's close to Houghton. But Evans' experience has made it pretty obvious that it won't be easy or quick. He'd have to put all the hard work in again and start from nothing here, for $300 a month playing a few games for Mountaineers or whatever. It'd be a hard slog to convince the cartel that he's good enough. Also seam bowling is the one area where there's good competition for places already. But on the other hand, top the Logan Cup bowling stats next season and he could (albeit a small chance) find himself playing Test cricket or a world cup. It's a big risk but that sounds more appealing than playing 2nd XI and club cricket forever.

Welch's lack of opportunities is the biggest mystery to me. Leicestershire look absolutely terrible, have been for years? How he hasn't had more opportunities is beyond me. I'm sure he will get a chance soon though and I'm sure he'll take it and do well. I'm being really selfish here but on the bright side Nick's difficulties might mean Matt chooses to stays here!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Matt Welch is not going anywhere. He has no options other than work or university or local cricket.If he had the UK option I don't think he'd exercise it. His brother's hardships have scarred him big time.
I think he'll give it a go to try and become a regular franchise player or he'll knock it on the head. His lack of runs in this NPL plus injuries have not helped. I don't think he will get any franchise opportunities this season which may make his decision soon and easy and Zim will lose their next keeper/batsman :lol:

Hes been offered a trial there already but it's pointless. You need to be a citizen or there's no plan. He'd need to go and play Two's for 6 years and support himself whilst doing it.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

What surprises me is that Hami can't see the opportunity here. I feel like if somebody has county experience they can offer them a better contract than $300. I think the franchise captains used to get closer to $1000. I don't know if that's still the case. All I'm saying with BT and Jarvis gone they can offer 2 or 3 of these guys 1 year contracts for 3k each. BT and Jarvis were gobbling more than 30k between them and yes I know that Blessing, Wes, Shumba and Ngarava have taken maybe 20k of that 30k wage gap but they can squeeze in 3 guys.

Hami needs to do the right thing otherwise we are doomed. For example if you add Melton, Matigimu, Welch and maybe Ben Curran we won't be having sleepless night about David Wiese and co. It would also increase the overall quality of the franchise games. Those Northerns versus Southerns games on a green pitch would produce fireworks. It can all be done if they really wanted to.

My prediction is that if things go badly this year Hami will be the scapegoat and they will give Houghton his job and get him to import players. I mean if life is that hard out there all you need is to give these guys a comfortable 2 year contract. They will come back

Googly

Post by Googly »

Googly wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:59 am
sloandog wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 am
And will never represent Zim, so sho cares.
Carse is fast but does fuck all with it. He scraped an ODI fiver but honestly looked docile, regardless of the fact he his 87mph
Other people like to know if there's a zim background to cricketers. I did point out that we are ok in the seam dept as well, it wasnt a recrruitment drive. The thread is English domestic season so its worthy of mention. He'll be the first bowling 87mph docile deliveries, that's a rare feat all on it's own. That would be an interesting commentary- and here comes Carse ambling in from the commentary box end with his 90mph docile deliveries, shouldn't trouble the batsman one bit.
I watched Carse again. He was cranking it up to 90mph last night. He's lethal.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:34 am
Googly wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:59 am
sloandog wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 am
And will never represent Zim, so sho cares.
Carse is fast but does fuck all with it. He scraped an ODI fiver but honestly looked docile, regardless of the fact he his 87mph
Other people like to know if there's a zim background to cricketers. I did point out that we are ok in the seam dept as well, it wasnt a recrruitment drive. The thread is English domestic season so its worthy of mention. He'll be the first bowling 87mph docile deliveries, that's a rare feat all on it's own. That would be an interesting commentary- and here comes Carse ambling in from the commentary box end with his 90mph docile deliveries, shouldn't trouble the batsman one bit.
I watched Carse again. He was cranking it up to 90mph last night. He's lethal.
Yea he's got a yard I agree. Shame he does nothing with it. Good prospect