Zimbabwe squad for India ODI series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Zimbabwe squad for India ODI series

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 am
. Someone like Raza might find himself a BBL gig or something,
Considering who is in that BBL draft, any of the Zim guys are very outside chance. Can see the BBL sides going for the AFG, ENG, and WI players. Faf is a possible choice but he will only be there for half the season.

That's about the only thing going for some of the fringe players, that they will be there all season, but BBL has been struggling a bit, doubt they'll go for a random.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

I think we will win this series against India. :lol:

Nyauchi hasn’t found his form yet, the batsmen are just starting to click…. :lol:

Seriously though I think we will win at least 1 game and turn a few heads. We have players who can do that for us. Yes we are lacking some key players but this team is at a great high at the minute.

Houghton is working his magic and is bringing talent out of the players. I believe this is the best chance for us to get something out of India.

You may want to laugh this off but come back to me after the series. I’m confident and I think we need some sort of positivity.

🇿🇼🇿🇼

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Love the optimism but don’t be fooled.
We haven’t played a marquee world cricket team in years.
We are massively under strength. 2 of our 3 best batsmen are out as well as our best two bowlers.

The team habs been feasting on associates and Bangladesh the last 6 months.
We are in for a rude shock.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:48 pm
We are massively under strength. 2 of our 3 best batsmen are out as well as our best two bowlers.

The gap between the top 9 teams is quite small. They can all beat each other in most conditions, on an given day. The gap becomes even smaller in the ODI format in particular.

The reason I feel the India ODI series will be huge is because, consistency will be key for almost every Zim player not named Raza, who's proven himself. Even at full strength, only two ZIM players have been consistent and that's Williams and Raza. We have to remember that the most recent ODI series, only Raza, Regis, and Kaia performed. The other 12-15 guys did almost nothing. It will be hard to beat Nepal or Scotland with that number of passengers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:28 pm
It's a real shame about Willo.
Sounds like he's battling some serious demons after the passing of his dad through cancer. Such a cruel disease.
Something from left field....
BT had a drug problem
Sean and BT hanged together
Could it be ....
ZC would have been screaming bloody murder if it wasn't so sensitive
And team wasn't winning

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:39 am
sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:28 pm
It's a real shame about Willo.
Sounds like he's battling some serious demons after the passing of his dad through cancer. Such a cruel disease.
Something from left field....
BT had a drug problem
Sean and BT hanged together
Could it be ....
ZC would have been screaming bloody murder if it wasn't so sensitive
And team wasn't winning
A lot of us know what Williams issue is and there’s a reason we don’t post it.
You should also really think about what you’re saying out loud.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:05 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:48 pm

The gap between the top 9 teams is quite small. They can all beat each other in most conditions, on an given day. The gap becomes even smaller in the ODI format in particular.

The reason I feel the India ODI series will be huge is because, consistency will be key for almost every Zim player not named Raza, who's proven himself. Even at full strength, only two ZIM players have been consistent and that's Williams and Raza. We have to remember that the most recent ODI series, only Raza, Regis, and Kaia performed. The other 12-15 guys did almost nothing. It will be hard to beat Nepal or Scotland with that number of passengers.
All is good about the post except the first sentence mate! The gap between the big 3 and rhe rest is quite big, and the gap between South Africa, NZ, PAK who are the mid level teams and the rest is also quite big I would say.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:36 am

All is good about the post except the first sentence mate! The gap between the big 3 and rhe rest is quite big, and the gap between South Africa, NZ, PAK who are the mid level teams and the rest is also quite big I would say.
Nah, fairly far from the truth. I'd imagine actual ODI win loss data will prove it also.

In order for any meaningful "gap" to exist, one team should be reasonable favorites to win a series home and way.

Right now, if England or Australia were to play a series in Bangladesh, they would at most be marginal favorites. Most would probably favor BD. Even middling sides like NZ have lost I think 7 or 8 consecutive ODIs in Bangladesh. BD might not be favored to win in SA for example, but they could (and did).

Similarly, could SL win a series in NZ or SA? Unlikely, but not impossible. And they would be favorites at home.

In Tests, there is a gap with Big 3 > middle 3 > little 3, but even here we've seen the weakest side (BD) beat NZ (at the time ranked 2nd). And we've seen plenty of wins by SL, WI, and PAK in England over the past 5 years. In fact, England at present have no place being in the same tier as India and Austrailia in Tests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:38 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:36 am

Nah, fairly far from the truth. I'd imagine actual ODI win loss data will prove it also.

In order for any meaningful "gap" to exist, one team should be reasonable favorites to win a series home and way.

Right now, if England or Australia were to play a series in Bangladesh, they would at most be marginal favorites. Most would probably favor BD. Even middling sides like NZ have lost I think 7 or 8 consecutive ODIs in Bangladesh. BD might not be favored to win in SA for example, but they could (and did).

Similarly, could SL win a series in NZ or SA? Unlikely, but not impossible. And they would be favorites at home.

In Tests, there is a gap with Big 3 > middle 3 > little 3, but even here we've seen the weakest side (BD) beat NZ (at the time ranked 2nd). And we've seen plenty of wins by SL, WI, and PAK in England over the past 5 years. In fact, England at present have no place being in the same tier as India and Austrailia in Tests.
Ok I do agree on those points, the thing is India and Australia are very consistent with their results, England a bit strange, when they do well in tests they do poorly in LOIs and vice versa. 😆

RSA, NZ, PAK are very inconsistent, although RSA look like they are getting back at the top now.

Bangladesh, West Indies and Sri Lanka are definitely capable of beating any team on their day but still very inconsistent.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 am
. Someone like Raza might find himself a BBL gig or something,
Considering who is in that BBL draft, any of the Zim guys are very outside chance. Can see the BBL sides going for the AFG, ENG, and WI players. Faf is a possible choice but he will only be there for half the season.

That's about the only thing going for some of the fringe players, that they will be there all season, but BBL has been struggling a bit, doubt they'll go for a random.
I think ZC and Namibia Cricket board should ask the new South African Cricket league through the ICC to include a minimum of 2 African players ( not speaking of race) outside South Africa in their team rosters of 16 or 17 players..
My belief is that would help African Cricket while improving standards across the continent teams like Uganda or Kenya might have 1 player each
The 2 African don't have to be in the final 11 but they be practice players like what Blessing was in India