Breakthrough players for 2022-23 season

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Breakthrough players for 2022-23 season

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Now that the 2022-23 domestic season has started, who do we think would be our breakthrough cricketers this season who would stake claim to get close to / get into the national team?

Ben Curran would be a popular choice.

I would also want to follow the spinner Tanatswa Bechani, who clearly did not get enough opportunities last season despite a cracking NPL - thanks to Nyumbu and Ndlovu hogging the spinner spots in the Tuskers line up. Now with Nyumbu seemingly out of picture, could be the opportunity Bechani was looking for to break through. Had a great List A debut already...

Any hope for Kudakwashe Macheka lighting up the scene as a pacer?

Anyone else?

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Breakthrough players for 2022-23 season

Post by zimfan1 »

Tashinga Musekiwa, hits a long ball.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Bechani, along with Shunopa Musekwa, have been stalwarts of the Bulawayo club scene in recent years so its nice to see them rewarded with games in the Tuskers XI.

For me, having correctly tipped Clive Madande at the start of last season, I'm going with:

Alvin Chiradza - Tuskers bat, was impressive as a teenager, then disappeared for a while, now seems to be back.

Talent Dzikiti - Left arm seamer, very impressive in Vigne Cup and NPL last season. Interesting to see if he can step up to franchise level.

Johnathan Campbell - I've actually been pretty on harsh on him previously and played him down, but I think he is going to have a big season with the bat for Rhinos. He's not young anymore, it feels like a make or break season.

There's quite a few others who are promising and worth a mention too, but still not entirely sure who is actually in each squad going forward.
Also Ben Curran, of course.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Marumani for sure

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:23 pm
Marumani for sure
Well yeah. I'd say he's already broken through though.

I think CA probably means uncapped players.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Going purely by the recent numbers, is William Mashinge another good all rounder to look out for?

This is definitely a big season for Ben Curran, every chance he will be there at the WCQ next year if he does well.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:05 pm
Going purely by the recent numbers, is William Mashinge another good all rounder to look out for?

This is definitely a big season for Ben Curran, every chance he will be there at the WCQ next year if he does well.
Mashinge is a really talented player, but his bowling is wild. His batting could be special

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:19 pm
Tashinga Musekiwa, hits a long ball.
Yeup Tashinga Musekiwa for me too, handy batter & bowler although he hasn’t bowled many in the first couple of matches.

Interested to see who might pop up at the Goats, I didn’t see either of the Kaia brothers line up for the Rocks, so maybe they’ve gone back there too?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

There is a couple I’m interested in alongside those that have already been mentioned:

Tanunurwa Makoni - played for the under 19 team, has had a good start for the Tuskers with the bat in the pro 50. Still only 22 so plenty of potential for improvement.

Takudzwa Chataira - Relatively unknown player (we didn’t even know how old he was at one point :lol: ) very similar bowling action to Blessing, gets a bit of bounce and has bowled a few real quick deliveries. I have been impressed with his first 2 games. Still 24 so has plenty of potential for improvement. Will be interesting to see if he keeps his place when the national players return.

Yvmnaidu
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Yvmnaidu »

Tashinga museikwa - good hitter in zim cricket. same like our marumani. bowl some good slow balls. he should be in zim A side to develop his game

carl mamba - he is zim cricket Carlos Braithwaite.he better batter than luke jongwe. bowling is really shit for him.

marshal takodza - good player in middle order. I wonder his shots also good. instead of Tinashe. he should be in team