PRO50 CHAMPIONSHIP 2022-23

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Flakeman

Re: PRO50 CHAMPIONSHIP 2022-23

Post by Flakeman »

Trust me, Campbell is no good. He believes he is, which is a good thing in a way, but he hasn’t got the goods.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Flakeman wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:03 pm
Trust me, Campbell is no good. He believes he is, which is a good thing in a way, but he hasn’t got the goods.
Is a bit of a Williams light player from what I have seen, very good on the pull/sweep shot but not sure how the rest of his technique will hold up. To be fair to him he does average around 38 in List A cricket which is higher then any of our domestic players. Would like to see him up the batting order to see how he does against the newer ball.

But at 24 he can improve and will be in the mix I am sure when Raza, Williams and Ervine step aside. Whether he is good enough is the real question.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I think Campbell has oftentimes looked pretty poor - the very definition of bits and pieces.

But he has belief and he works hard and I think he will continue to improve. On another thread a few weeks ago I tipped him it have a breakthrough season so I’m pleased he’s doing well so far.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Welch with runs as usual :lol:

So now we have;

Tuskers - James McCollum, Shane Getkate
Eagles - Kadeem Alleyne, Nick Welch
Mountaineers - PJ Moor
Rhinos - Kiran Carlson
Rocks - ?

I believe Byrom could make an appearance for Rhinos at some point but let’s wait and see. Frost rumoured for Rocks too

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Donald wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:06 am
Rhinos have been chivanged well and truly
But at the end of the day Eagles were deep in the Campbells soup

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Ben Curran can’t buy a run, I wonder if he’s regretting throwing his lot in with Zimbabwe now? (If that is actually the case)

Sure playing for the National side has it’s obvious perks, but it’s a tough slog for those who aren’t in the side and slugging it away domestically.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

As for Campbell, the national team has enough ‘bits & pieces’ players. He’d be fighting the likes of Burl for that role now, plus Williams & Raza obviously bowl and you’d think when they retire Wes & Shumba will take their roles as middle order batter/ spin bowling all-rounder.

What Zimbabwe need is of course top order players, and possibly a wicket keeper batsman. I see Curran was listed as keeper for the Rocks, maybe he’s looking at Regis’ spot as his way in. Tsiga is actually having a good season with the bat, I’m not sure how good he is with the gloves?

Welch is dominating as expected, surely Hamilton is talking to him about committing & signing a central contract. With the other candidates to open all struggling apart from Marumani, the opening spots again look like being an Achilles heel for Zimbabwe.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:03 pm
As for Campbell, the national team has enough ‘bits & pieces’ players. He’d be fighting the likes of Burl for that role now, plus Williams & Raza obviously bowl and you’d think when they retire Wes & Shumba will take their roles as middle order batter/ spin bowling all-rounder.

What Zimbabwe need is of course top order players, and possibly a wicket keeper batsman. I see Curran was listed as keeper for the Rocks, maybe he’s looking at Regis’ spot as his way in. Tsiga is actually having a good season with the bat, I’m not sure how good he is with the gloves?

Welch is dominating as expected, surely Hamilton is talking to him about committing & signing a central contract. With the other candidates to open all struggling apart from Marumani, the opening spots again look like being an Achilles heel for Zimbabwe.
Curran 100% didn't keep wicket - that's just usual Cricinfo getting it wrong!

Tsiga is alright with the gloves, but nothing special. He's really tall, which is unusual for a WK.

Welch has re-signed with Leicestershire apparently.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Curran 100% didn't keep wicket - that's just usual Cricinfo getting it wrong!

Tsiga is alright with the gloves, but nothing special. He's really tall, which is unusual for a WK.

Welch has re-signed with Leicestershire apparently.
Thanks for clearing up the Curran keeping bit.

The ‘who will be the next Zimbabwe keeper’ question is one I’m following quote closely. Sure Regis is very fit & could play well past his current age of 35, but they really need to start to look to blood someone else. How good is Manade as a keeper & batter?

Understanding Welch has signed a new deal with Leicestershire, but it wouldn’t hurt to start the talks now with him to know his has the option.

Assuming he struggles again for opportunities next season, that last year if his deal will be easy to get out of like we have seen with Blessing, BT & Jarvis.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:40 pm
Ben Curran can’t buy a run, I wonder if he’s regretting throwing his lot in with Zimbabwe now? (If that is actually the case)

Sure playing for the National side has it’s obvious perks, but it’s a tough slog for those who aren’t in the side and slugging it away domestically.
Curran can't expect to be in the team after just one season, no harm, if he has a couple of seasons then gets into good form and push for a place in the national side. I don't think these players coming from UK should have expectations like "we're so good and the moment we go to Zim we should be in the national team", that's not happening.