Gary ballance bombshell switch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Gary ballance bombshell switch

Post by Googly »

This is more painful than knowing someone is gay and waiting for them to jump out the closet

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

I'm short in the uptake: assuming that Ballance indeed quit Yorkshire and no playing for other County, what does the "contract" read to prevent him to play elsewhere (hopefully in Zimbabwe)?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

We'll be seeing him very soon. As soon as his family are sorted he'll be playing Logan Cup apparently. Potentially this side of christmas if things go well.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This has been kept under wraps extraordinarily well. Unusual in this place :lol:
This will really increase everyone's interest, he's a really classy batsman with some great stats.
All he needs is a run like Curran has been having to put a spanner in the works. I wonder when he last picked up a cricket bat?
So much for players coming back and having to prove themselves :lol: , he will be on a big package.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I remember when Murray Goodwin was approached to comeback in 2011 they said they didn’t want another old white player taking the spot of a young black player.

Indeed it seems times have changed

Tbh I’m not that excited by a 34 year old returning, well arriving really because he’s never played for Zimbabwe before. I would be much more excited if it were Byrom, Welch, Muyeye etc

Anyways let’s see how this unfolds, I assume they’ll want him in for the Windies tests.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/gary ... tid=Zxz2cZ

ESPNcricinfo suggesting a return to Zimbabwe is likely, probably just reading off the forum here 😂
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 pm
I remember when Murray Goodwin was approached to comeback in 2011 they said they didn’t want another old white player taking the spot of a young black player.

The premise hasn't changed and neither have the underlying attitudes and opinions. What has changed is that the current cartel have finally at long last realised that they have a far greater chance of keeping their snouts in the trough for longer if results on the pitch are decent.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Mountaineers Vs Eagles this Saturday. Too soon?

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 pm

Tbh I’m not that excited by a 34 year old returning, well arriving really because he’s never played for Zimbabwe before. I would be much more excited if it were Byrom, Welch, Muyeye etc

Anyways let’s see how this unfolds, I assume they’ll want him in for the Windies tests.
It is big news, 34 is not that old for a batsmen if they stay fit. Look at khawaja, hes in his best ever form.
Faf du plessis is still a great t20 player. Plus if it goes well it will encourage and open the door for other players outside Zim.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

This is great news and Ballance surely must be having some assurances of getting selected in the national team. I'm also quite convinced that ZC will do whatever they can to assemble a good side for the WCQ. Why would they want to miss out on a WC just like that? So I think color of the player will be the last thing on their mind until at least the qualifiers are done.

This is a very good move and it will further strengthen the quality of the side esp in the much needed batting department. For a pure cricket fan WCQs will probably be more interesting than the WC itself, purely on the basis of the competition that we will see.