2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by Googly »

Ya the only upset in these various scenarios is an unlikely one off win by the Dutch. Not impossible, but unlikely

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

So Zimbabwe is still playing the Dutch right

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yes, that series is scheduled for March.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

We have a wicket keeper problem. We need a real solution here. What are the options?

Probables

1- we keep faith in Madande.. the main question would be where does he bat with Ervine, Ballance, Williams, Wes, Burl and Raza in the middle order.?

2- Marumani. He can open with Kaia which is the only other open spot. The question is then how much can improve his keeping in a few months?

Unlikely

3- Chakabva comes back. Will be off season I think in Australia. Has the experience but the question then becomes has he been playing a high standard? He was off form already when he left. The ship might have sailed.

4- PJ .. he has a change of heart and everybody somehow agrees. The real question then becomes his actual form. He was 6th in the List A competition. Marumani was first. So then what's the point? ZC might rather just invest in Marumani

From what I'm seeing it will be Marumani as the most likely

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:53 pm
We have a wicket keeper problem. We need a real solution here. What are the options?

Probables

1- we keep faith in Madande.. the main question would be where does he bat with Ervine, Ballance, Williams, Wes, Burl and Raza in the middle order.?

2- Marumani. He can open with Kaia which is the only other open spot. The question is then how much can improve his keeping in a few months?

Unlikely

3- Chakabva comes back. Will be off season I think in Australia. Has the experience but the question then becomes has he been playing a high standard? He was off form already when he left. The ship might have sailed.

4- PJ .. he has a change of heart and everybody somehow agrees. The real question then becomes his actual form. He was 6th in the List A competition. Marumani was first. So then what's the point? ZC might rather just invest in Marumani

Marumani solves lot of questions. Not just keeping but he also takes the only other spot that is still not taken by someone which is opening
My side would be
Marumani
Kaia
Ervine
Ballance
Williams
Raza
Burl
Jongwe/mazakadza/mavuta
Evans/chatara
Ngarava
Muzarbani

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:

Probables

Unlikely

Another option is we give Schadendorf a call.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tej_27 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:01 pm
TapsC2 wrote:

Probables

1- we keep faith in Madande.. the main question would obe where does he bat with Ervine, Ballance, Williams, Wes, Burl and Raza in the middle order.?

Unlikely

Marumani solves lot of questions. Not just keeping but he also takes the only other spot that is still not taken by someone which is opening
My side would be
Marumani
Kaia
Ervine
Ballance
Williams
Raza
Burl
Jongwe/mazakadza/mavuta
Evans/chatara
Ngarava
Muzarbani
Normally I would say opening and keeping is too much for the body, but isn’t Marumani meant to be an Uber fit freak?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Marumani's failures at international level means that he will surely not be in the frame for the Qualifiers. He needs more time to make an international comeback.

PJ is not a realistic option, he is probably the best option but I'm sure ZC are not going that way.

Realistically I'm looking at Madande continuing OR Chakabwa making a comeback. The latter cannot be ruled out, I think Regis may well want to have another crack at the qualifiers.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:12 pm
Marumani's failures at international level means that he will surely not be in the frame for the Qualifiers. He needs more time to make an international comeback.

PJ is not a realistic option, he is probably the best option but I'm sure ZC are not going that way.

Realistically I'm looking at Madande continuing OR Chakabwa making a comeback. The latter cannot be ruled out, I think Regis may well want to have another crack at the qualifiers.
Yeah it’s a tough call, we’ve been mulling over it really ever since we got wind of it that Regis might not be available anymore. I think Madande is the best overall option, but it’s that log jam in the middle order that makes it more appealing to pick a keeper who can open.

Throwing another spanned into the mix is now Mavuta, now we’ve all been impressed with Burl’s leg spin but after watching Mavuta bowl this match it’s clear he’s a much better bowler & could be the X-Factor bowler we were missing in the Ireland series along with Blessing.

So if you’re playing Mavuta at 9 and let’s say Evans or Jongwe at 8, you’re probably now forced to either play Burl or a keeper at 7. If you have Burl there, then the keeper must open, and we might end up in the situation where we see the old ‘sacrificial lamb’ scenario where Madande is made to open just to fit everyone in.

On paper, Marumani opening & keeping is the best fit for everyone, but unless the kid can find his feet quickly it’s going to be too big a risk. I haven’t seen him keep, but from the reports here on the forum he’s a bit dodgy, you can’t take the chance that your keeper drops a crucial catch in a tournament with so much at stake.

Personally I’d still be making Ballance open with Kaia, he’s got the best technique of any Zim batter and he can anchor the innings that way. Imagine having Kaia & Ballance opening, we’d be more likely to get to the 10 over mark with all ten wickets still hand. Unlike the the last edition of the CWCQ where we’d constantly be 3 down inside the power play.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:

Probables

Unlikely

I saw one of the catches Tsiga took in the test series. His technique was very poor. Holding his hands above his head to take the catch. Should not be doing that. I think wk is definitely one of our big issues and I feel like we probably think it's an area we can kind of just wing it.