[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Netherlands, 2nd ODI, Harare, 23 Mar 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Netherlands, 2nd ODI, Harare, 23 Mar 2023

Post by secretzimbo »

Weighing up whether to go to the ground on Saturday or not. I wasn't going to bother (Netherlands are hardly a big draw) but been 2 good/crazy matches so far so its tempting.

sscricket
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by sscricket »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:11 pm
sscricket wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:05 pm
In my mind this is a defeat.
Bizarre
Because the dutch batting is club level.they should not be anywhere near 270.that tells something about our bowling..we will be cannon fodder for the likes of Nepal uae or sri lanka

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

What a crazy game, tbh I fell asleep when Ackerman came in but woke up just before O'Dowd got out and the drama started!

Here are my thoughts from the game -

- Very harsh on Kaia being dropped, but Dave has shown he's willing to stick with Wes & he looks like he's coming into form again with the bat. Not sure if he's been tipped in, but there was certainly a lot less cross bat swipes by Wes and he played much straighter.

- For some unbeknown reason, out batsman just can't do the simple things right, when the spinners come on and the filed is back, you have a single down the ground every ball. Kohli is the master, he just plays within the V with little risk, why can't our boys see this? Ervine seems incapable of driving the spinner down the ground, so his only shot is a sweep, the pressure built up and he tried a reverse & gone. Wes too, pressure built up and out playing a reverse, so frustrating.

- Although Ballance hasn't come off yet, I like him at 3 & Williams at 4, IMO they're out two 'bankers' that can be relied on to score runs most consistently. As a few of you have pointed out, Willo is a freak, can just rock up and score runs at this level from scratch. Seems very frail these days, when ever he dives in the field he gets up holding something, I'll be surprised if he plays the 3rd match.

- Raza & Burl are killing us with the bat this series, Raza got a good one early which is fair, but Burl needs to pull his head in. Seems like he thinks he's on audition for a t20 gig all the time. Facts are his bowling is being shown to be ineffective in ODI cricket (that Aussie game looking more like a fluke) and if he's not batting well he might find himself out of the side.

- Madande is proving to be such a good bat in ODI cricket, I would seriously be tempted to move him above Burl & possibly even Raza if we find ourselves 3 down inside 25-overs. I don't see any problem in applying a floating batting order depending on the situation, Raza and Burl are obviously more explosive than Madande who is more of an accumulator, so if we've lost too many early wickets and we need to bat for 5-10 going at 4-5 an over without losing a wicket, I think Madande is more suited.

- The fielding has to be a major concern, the first game had three crucial drops, this game again we saw three drops and also Raza bowling a no-ball on a wicket taking delivery. If not for the Hattrick from Wes we lose that game, and as we know hattricks are very rare so we definitely got away with that one.

- On that note, it just shows how special Wes is as a player, to take a hattrick in an ODI is very rare and you just know with him he's got those special moments in him.

- Wellington can't play in the same side as Williams, I can see the need for him if Willo ain't there as we need that left arm option, but to only bowl 3-overs and also not contribute with the bat, I'd rather see Mavuta play. We've seen Burl can't be trusted as a front line bowler in this format, I think Mavuta needs to play and he offers more variety and potential match winning ability than Wellington.

- I see a lot of hate for Chatara, but to be fair he bowled very during that middle spell to Cooper and should have gotten him out. I wouldn't be ready to discard yet, especially in conditions that suit him he's shown as he's gotten older he has the ability to swing the ball more.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:34 pm
Kaia in, Burl out next game?

No

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:09 pm
What a crazy game, tbh I fell asleep when Ackerman came in but woke up just before O'Dowd got out and the drama started!

Here are my thoughts from the game -

- Very harsh on Kaia being dropped, but Dave has shown he's willing to stick with Wes & he looks like he's coming into form again with the bat. Not sure if he's been tipped in, but there was certainly a lot less cross bat swipes by Wes and he played much straighter.

- For some unbeknown reason, out batsman just can't do the simple things right, when the spinners come on and the filed is back, you have a single down the ground every ball. Kohli is the master, he just plays within the V with little risk, why can't our boys see this? Ervine seems incapable of driving the spinner down the ground, so his only shot is a sweep, the pressure built up and he tried a reverse & gone. Wes too, pressure built up and out playing a reverse, so frustrating.

- Although Ballance hasn't come off yet, I like him at 3 & Williams at 4, IMO they're out two 'bankers' that can be relied on to score runs most consistently. As a few of you have pointed out, Willo is a freak, can just rock up and score runs at this level from scratch. Seems very frail these days, when ever he dives in the field he gets up holding something, I'll be surprised if he plays the 3rd match.

- Raza & Burl are killing us with the bat this series, Raza got a good one early which is fair, but Burl needs to pull his head in. Seems like he thinks he's on audition for a t20 gig all the time. Facts are his bowling is being shown to be ineffective in ODI cricket (that Aussie game looking more like a fluke) and if he's not batting well he might find himself out of the side.

- Madande is proving to be such a good bat in ODI cricket, I would seriously be tempted to move him above Burl & possibly even Raza if we find ourselves 3 down inside 25-overs. I don't see any problem in applying a floating batting order depending on the situation, Raza and Burl are obviously more explosive than Madande who is more of an accumulator, so if we've lost too many early wickets and we need to bat for 5-10 going at 4-5 an over without losing a wicket, I think Madande is more suited.

- The fielding has to be a major concern, the first game had three crucial drops, this game again we saw three drops and also Raza bowling a no-ball on a wicket taking delivery. If not for the Hattrick from Wes we lose that game, and as we know hattricks are very rare so we definitely got away with that one.

- On that note, it just shows how special Wes is as a player, to take a hattrick in an ODI is very rare and you just know with him he's got those special moments in him.

- Wellington can't play in the same side as Williams, I can see the need for him if Willo ain't there as we need that left arm option, but to only bowl 3-overs and also not contribute with the bat, I'd rather see Mavuta play. We've seen Burl can't be trusted as a front line bowler in this format, I think Mavuta needs to play and he offers more variety and potential match winning ability than Wellington.

- I see a lot of hate for Chatara, but to be fair he bowled very during that middle spell to Cooper and should have gotten him out. I wouldn't be ready to discard yet, especially in conditions that suit him he's shown as he's gotten older he has the ability to swing the ball more.
Chatara over bowled , terrible figures . Evans under bowled and no need to play Wellington ffs. Kaia and Wes open and Ervine at 3. More batting depth and Burl can come in late and smash it. But of course it won't happen.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes Burl is a tricky one. I wouldnt be surprised if they rotate and put Mavuta and Kaia for Wellington and Burl.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Wes is a project that ZC has invested in for almost 10 years now. He will have the longest rope we have ever seen because nobody doubts his talent.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 am
Yes Burl is a tricky one. I wouldnt be surprised if they rotate and put Mavuta and Kaia for Wellington and Burl.
Burl is not a tricky one at all , why the need to play a spinner when the batting can be strengthened and there are already 4 other options. Also Ervine needs to improve his bowling changes big time

Kaia
Madhevere
Ervine
Ballance
Williams
Raza
Madande or Burl depending on game situation
Madande or Burl as above
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

This team would not lose against the Dutch

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kaia
Wes
Ervine
Ballance
Williams
Raza
Madande
Mavuta
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

For me

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:47 am
Kaia
Wes
Ervine
Ballance
Williams
Raza
Madande
Mavuta
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

For me
Same team but why on earth would you not play Burl in front of Mavuta ? Burl is the biggest hitter in the team and if he gets an opportunity to bat in the last 5 overs he will dominate. Nothing gained by playing Mavuta