2023 WCQ | non-Zimbabwe matches

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tej_27

Re: 2023 WCQ | non-Zimbabwe matches

Post by tej_27 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:11 pm
pillowprocter wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:23 pm
Does it really matter to us which of Ned or USA wins, assuming we beat USA
No but as Zimfan1 said, Netherlands are more likely to take points off other teams than USA. So it matters to some extent as to who goes to the Super 6s.
I feel Nepal has a better chance.this second string Dutch 11 Doesnt give too much confidence. Saturday is going to decide everything

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

We definitely can't take WI too lightly. I don't think they have reached the highest gear yet. They upped things yesterday.

Saturday is going to be massive and we need to be on top of our game. Need to reduce the extras we concede. Need to be tighter in the field. We gave away too many singles to Ned. Need to be sharper and consistent

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Yeah the fact the WI had that big win over Nepal has put them ahead on NRR, although we are still yet to play the weakest team in the group which is the USA, so we have a chance to claw some of that back.

Even if we beat WI, NRR could still play a deciding factor later in the Super 6s if WI then go on to beat Sri Lanka. That would likely leave SL, WI and Zim all on 8 points with NRR being the deciding factor I believe.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

The bottom line is, we do need to beat one of WI and SL at least irrespective of how other results go. Right? And SL don't seem to be in this league. They are definitely a notch above. So, our best chance is tomorrow. Which makes it a real crunch game. Stars need to align quite a bit. Death by spin could be an option, but even that depends on winning the toss, etc. I'd keep Wes in the playing XI just to have the death by spin option open, although he hasn't taken his chances with the bat.

But the last time we felt death by spin as a genuine win strategy against a higher ranked side was vs NZ in India in the 2011 CWC and we got murdered.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

By the way, congrats on the 10000 posts jaybro! :)

I was probably the first to hit 9500, but Googly and you have overtaken me to 10000, and I have been very infrequent anyway for more than a year now. Up next, Sloan to hit the 10000 mark...

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:27 am
The bottom line is, we do need to beat one of WI and SL at least irrespective of how other results go. Right? And SL don't seem to be in this league. They are definitely a notch above. So, our best chance is tomorrow. Which makes it a real crunch game. Stars need to align quite a bit. Death by spin could be an option, but even that depends on winning the toss, etc. I'd keep Wes in the playing XI just to have the death by spin option open, although he hasn't taken his chances with the bat.

But the last time we felt death by spin as a genuine win strategy against a higher ranked side was vs NZ in India in the 2011 CWC and we got murdered.
Yes unless there are some crazy upsets in this tournament, we can afford ONE loss max, and even then we could still lose out on NRR as I pointed out if we beat WI but lose to SL and WI beat SL.

Losing two games in this tournament would almost certainly result in missing out, and without wanting to dig up old wounds, that's why I've struggle accept the format is right as Afghanistan lost 3 games last time and still went through.

I don't believe will will bowl the Windies out cheaply via spin, but it could certainly play a part in restricting how many runs they get. Their top order are a bit shaky against spin, so I wouldn't be waiting too long to get Wellington on if the seamers once again struggle for wickets early.

I really don't want to be batting first v WI, I think Joseph, Holder and Mayers would make use of the early morning dew, and I don't think there is a score we could make that they couldn't chase.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:30 am

I was probably the first to hit 9500, but Googly and you have overtaken me to 10000, and I have been very infrequent anyway for more than a year now. Up next, Sloan to hit the 10000 mark...
Thanks CA, it is a little concerning that I have made so many posts despite joining the forum much later than yourself a few others, and I've also had a few spells from the forum as well. That probably suggests I post too much when I am active :D

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:44 pm
We definitely can't take WI too lightly. I don't think they have reached the highest gear yet. They upped things yesterday.

Saturday is going to be massive and we need to be on top of our game. Need to reduce the extras we concede. Need to be tighter in the field. We gave away too many singles to Ned. Need to be sharper and consistent
Cant believe you said that! It's more a matter of WI saying "we can't take Zimbabwe lightly" Than the other way round.

WI are clear favourites.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:54 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:30 am

Thanks CA, it is a little concerning that I have made so many posts despite joining the forum much later than yourself a few others, and I've also had a few spells from the forum as well. That probably suggests I post too much when I am active :D
It's a prestigious club, I need to work on my technique to get over the line 😉

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yeah Sri Lanka are looking dangerous