2023 ODI World Cup Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: 2023 ODI World Cup Discussion

Post by Pat_Bee »

India pretty much nailed on, wouldn’t count NZ totally out until the last ball though. If anyone can pull something out the bag, it’s they.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Philips 0 from 7, they look buried here.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Ya, they’ve had it now. Those two quick wickets set them back.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

India should be allowed to bat for twenty overs. This Indian team must surely be one of the greatest cricketing units ever seen? I think the only hope of beating them is to win the toss and bat first and hope nerves and some seam movement get to them in the chase.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This tournament just feels meh. I wouldn't put it past ICC to doctor pitches for India
eugene wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:34 pm
This Indian team must surely be one of the greatest cricketing units ever seen?
I wouldn't go this far. It's favourable conditions for them. I don't they've come up against a team that is able to utilise the track for their bowling skills because it's just flat. Too much of a batsmen game.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think the toss was important yesterday. NZ did not bowl well, but they were right in that chase for a long time, despite a really slow start. They were going at 5's for a really long time and eventually managed to change gear. If you ever needed proof how vital it is to survive those first 12-15 overs with wickets intact regardless of run rate. Williamson at one point was 2 off 18 and survived jaffer after jaffer. He's got ice in his veins. Mitchell was bloody amazing as well.

Bumrah and particularly Shami made the run chase almost impossible with a brilliant opening spell. Shami was exceptional, ball after ball going over off or 4th with a tiny bit of movement, McGrath-like, making it almost impossible to score- works in any format!
Most teams would have lost that by 250 runs, NZ are a damned good side.

That was a great game to watch. Unfortunately in this format you can generally start to see the outcome before it's played out. Obviously there are exceptions, but this is the reason why it's lost popularity. It takes an exceptional batter right in a purple patch a longer period to turn it around and odds are against it. I was really rooting for Mitchell and Williamson to take that right down to the wire.
Kuldeep comes on and suddenly starts turning it square, jeez he bowled some jaffers as well.

Not sure what to say about Kohli. If you put his ODI record up against Tendulkar he makes him look second rate. He's 35, he might have 10 tons at least left in him and could probably play another 3 years. Possibly only Gill has a shot at getting close to those numbers. Shreyas is something else, freakish skills.

Looking forward to today, hope its a nail biter

Googly

Post by Googly »

I just got forwarded a big conspiracy story about that coin toss. I watched it and it did look very odd. Sharma tossed that miles away and only the 3rd or 4th umpire actually saw the outcome. If you like conspiracies this is up your street.
Apparently hundreds of millions was won on that toss, like the betters knew it was coming.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

ODIs are my favourite format but they definitely have to change something. Some are saying make it 40 overs. I don't know. I like those 250/280 pitches. Flat pitches are what's killing the format for me.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Temba is so the Wes of SA yo.

Abject failure after abject failure and given a rope as long as the Limpopo.